• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Acquire Andrew MacDonald From Isles

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JohnBorukCSN: I am told the #Flyers will look to sign Andrew MacDonald past this season...Price tag in the $4-5 million range AAV

AMAC turned down a 4 year 16M deal from the Isles. It would be just like Streit turning down the deal he did before Garth traded him to Philly.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don't know what they will pay or if they will, dmen are expensive these days.

If you trade Mesz, you're gonna pay him. He already turned down 4/16 from the Isles, he wants Matt Carle money.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that overall this is a deal to buy negotiating and wooing time. Don't forget that Mez will NOT be back (he says...not at that price he wont). Kimmo is most likely gone....that is two. Adding MacDonald at this point give the Flyers the chance to have a dress rehearsal with him for the future.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that overall this is a deal to buy negotiating and wooing time. Don't forget that Mez will NOT be back (he says...not at that price he wont). Kimmo is most likely gone....that is two. Adding MacDonald at this point give the Flyers the chance to have a dress rehearsal with him for the future.

This too - it puts the Flyers in a spot where they're not empty handed and unprepared if/when Kimmo and Mesz were to leave - and they would have to room to re-sign him if those two guys left

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with this move he's a legit top 4 NHL dman. No question marks. You can't have too many dmen heading to the playoffs Flyers needed this right now and odds are they will resign him as Timonen will retire. Who knows maybe they have a bigger trade in mind tomorrow and need some bullets so may as well wait and see. Even if they don't make a move they are better today down the stretch than they were yesterday no one can say different...

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with this move he's a legit top 4 NHL dman. No question marks. You can't have too many dmen heading to the playoffs Flyers needed this right now and odds are they will resign him as Timonen will retire. Who knows maybe they have a bigger trade in mind tomorrow and need some bullets so may as well wait and see. Even if they don't make a move they are better today down the stretch than they were yesterday no one can say different...

Most logical post I've seen here all day, thank you

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, I can't imagine we don't have another trade with somebody coming up. I understand stocking up on Dmen, but NINE?!?!?!

Timo/Coburn
Mez/Grossman
Schenn/Streit
Gill/Gusty
MacD

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, I can't imagine we don't have another trade with somebody coming up. I understand stocking up on Dmen, but NINE?!?!?!

Timo/Coburn
Mez/Grossman
Schenn/Streit
Gill/Gusty
MacD

Something will definitely happen

I imagine the pairings should be(at least in my opinion):
A-Mac/Mark Streit, Kimmo Timonen/Braydon Coburn, Erik Gustafsson/Nicklas Grossmann

I think Mesz gets traded but for some reason if they trade Mesz, knowing that they don't play Gus consistent enough, I can't see how you play Luke Schenn with Nicklas Grossmann, because the top four is already set - Mesz probably has more value than Luke Schenn but if they traded Luke Schenn it probably would make more sense because you would have an offensive guy in Mesz with Gross and then Gus is the 7th d-man

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. He was leading the Islanders in ice time at well over 25 minutes. Basically, he was their number one guy and now for us he only needs to be the number four guy. This allows us to lean on Grossmann a little bit less and instead ride the likely pairings of Timonen/Coburn and Streit/MacDonald. Those four guys are all capable of logging huge minutes.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would've preferred runblad.. Word is, 2nd rounder.

Ditto. Rundblad AND another d-man prospect for a 2nd rounder. Steal. That's EXACTLY the type of move I was suggesting the Flyers should have made. I do still like the MacDonald trade, I just don't think they got nearly the same return on their investment as Chicago did.

CONFIRMED TRADE »

Chicago Acquired:
D David Rundblad
D Mathieu Brisebois

Phoenix Acquired:
2014 2nd round pick

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. He was leading the Islanders in ice time at well over 25 minutes. Basically, he was their number one guy and now for us he only needs to be the number four guy. This allows us to lean on Grossmann a little bit less and instead ride the likely pairings of Timonen/Coburn and Streit/MacDonald. Those four guys are all capable of logging huge minutes.

i'm actually thinking they make the switch over to a coburn/grossmann pairing like they did in the playoffs a few years back, and put schenn with timonen because they've had success in the past too.. probably be a little more even divide that way because i dont think anyone would be very comfortable with a schenn/grossmann pairing.. there's very little passing skill between the two of them

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully gillis doesn't eff it up and takes all their players :)

:laugh3::agree:

Ownership gives Ray Shero OK to sweeten deal for Ryan Kesler

Ownership has authorized Shero to sweeten the deal to land Kesler as the Penguins believe his acquisition would improve dramatically their chances to win the Stanley Cup in one of the next three postseasons
Source: Rob Rossi

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3::agree:

Ownership gives Ray Shero OK to sweeten deal for Ryan Kesler

Ownership has authorized Shero to sweeten the deal to land Kesler as the Penguins believe his acquisition would improve dramatically their chances to win the Stanley Cup in one of the next three postseasons
Source: Rob Rossi

woo! crosby for kesler!!!!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer on MacDonald:

UPDATE

The Flyers have acquired defenseman Andrew MacDonald from the New York Islanders. In return, the Flyers are sending a second-round pick in 2015, a third-round pick in 2014 and minor league forward Matt Mangene to the Islanders.

An impending unrestricted free agent, the 27-year-old MacDonald is a minutes-eating blueliner who leads the NHL in blocked shots, makes a decent first pass and has above-average mobility. He is not really a top-pairing caliber NHL defenseman but was forced to log very heavy ice time on the Islanders' blueline and was cast in a shutdown defenseman role against other teams' top lines.

Playing on a New York club that plays suspect team defense as a whole, his puck-possession numbers and plus-minus rating suffered tremendously as a result. On the flip side, the added ice time has enabled him to flirt with matching his NHL career highs in assists (23) and points (27) set with Islanders in 2010-11.

MacDonald may be paired with former Islanders blueline partner Mark Streit on the Flyers' second pairing. However, the Flyers may not wish to pair Nicklas Grossmann with Luke Schenn, so it possible that one could be dealt by tomorrow's 3 p.m. deadline. Additionally, the MacDonald acquisition leaves the Flyers with nine defensemen on the roster, also opening the possibility that impended unrestricted free agent Andrej Meszaros will be traded by the deadline.

I suspect that the Flyers acquired MacDonald with the intention of re-signing him before he hits the UFA market this summer. However, that remains to be seen.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor that the Bruins are interested in Mez. Would you trade him to a team you might meet in the playoffs if it was the best offer out there?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor that the Bruins are interested in Mez. Would you trade him to a team you might meet in the playoffs if it was the best offer out there?

i think so.. can't look at it in such a small window.. gotta go for biggest return over what, 84 minutes of game play against you in the playoffs? (if mesz played 12 minutes/game w/ them for 7 games)

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the extra dmen they could quite possibly do a two for one deal with a team that wants to add D depth. That would allow them to upgrade to a better dman....this is what I'd like to see.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the extra dmen they could quite possibly do a two for one deal with a team that wants to add D depth. That would allow them to upgrade to a better dman....this is what I'd like to see.

Or they could package Steve Downie with Mesz and either get some picks in return or get a better d-man in return - and Tye McGinn could take Steve Downie's place on the roster