• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flat at the plate and falling in the standings, the Rangers fly to Anaheim for a weekend set

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not but he should be after this year performance.
i am not as sold on him as you are. When you look at his numbers across the board he just wasn't as impressive as the era seems to suggest.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well to start: 1) stop the medical rehab signings, 2) get otani, 3) sign at least 1 more quality starter, 4) sign at least 2 quality relievers (1 left/1 right). Yes it means spending but if we don't we could see another .500 or worse 2018 season. We can not compete with the Houston's, Cleveland's, Boston', New York's, etc with what we have now or in our minors. Hell we can't even compete with the second tier American League teams
I think big money has to be spent on pitching if we want to compete in 2018. If not, trades for AA/AAA players you hope work out.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not as sold on him as you are. When you look at his numbers across the board he just wasn't as impressive as the era seems to suggest.
He is a good #3/4.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think big money has to be spent on pitching if we want to compete in 2018. If not, trades for AA/AAA players you hope work out.
prospects are just that prospects. Very few get to the majors and make a difference especially pitchers. 1 out of 8 to 10 is a good number.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
prospects are just that prospects. Very few get to the majors and make a difference especially pitchers. 1 out of 8 to 10 is a good number.
That's why I agree with Murph. Spend some money. That's how we got Darvish and Hamel. Trading good position away for prospects of unknown quality makes little sense Top prospects is another story.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I agree with Murph. Spend some money. That's how we got Darvish and Hamel. Trading good position away for prospects of unknown quality makes little sense Top prospects is another story.
to get top prospects you have to give up quality. Example: Darvish for Calhoun. Hopefully we hang on to our quality players and sign additional quality

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to get top prospects you have to give up quality. Example: Darvish for Calhoun. Hopefully we hang on to our quality players and sign additional quality
We got Calhoun b/c we had no choice. Point is good pitching prospects is what we should have gotten. We were over the barrel on that deal.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we need to go heavy after Otani and then bring in either Arrieta or Darvish. Hamels has 1 year left in his contract so for 2018 you would have Otani, Hamels and Arrieta/Darvish as your 1, 2 and 3 and then Perez(not one of my favorites) + Cashner/Griffin/Bibens-dirkx as your 4th & 5th.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got Calhoun b/c we had no choice. Point is good pitching prospects is what we should have gotten. We were over the barrel on that deal.
exactly we were over a barrel. And the same would be true if we had tried trade Hamels or Choo we would gotten little of value

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we need to go heavy after Otani and then bring in either Arrieta or Darvish. Hamels has 1 year left in his contract so for 2018 you would have Otani, Hamels and Arrieta/Darvish as your 1, 2 and 3 and then Perez(not one of my favorites) + Cashner/Griffin/Bibens-dirkx as your 4th & 5th.
Sounds good to me. We almost have to pick up at least two of them or chalk up another year like 2017. There are other concerns.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good to me. We almost have to pick up at least two of them or chalk up another year like 2017. There are other concerns.
agreed we also need to rebuild the pen. Barnett, Bush, Claudio & Diekman are keepers and maybe Kela but we need to add to them maybe Nicasio and Watson. And offensively & defensively personally i would not pick up Napoli's option using Gallo as our primary 1st baseman and i would re-sign Gomez to play centerfield. Outfield: Calhoun, Gomez & Mazara. Infield: Beltre, Andrus, Odor & Gallo. Catcher: Chirinos. DH: Choo. Bench: DeShields, Nicholson, Robertson & Rua.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can either get by the way we have been getting by or we can rebuild to a certain level and realize 2018 won't be pretty. To not rebuild is to continue to be a wildcard chasing team in my opinion. There are some tough decisions that need to be made and carried out. We were facing something somewhat similar in the offseason that we acquired Prince and Choo and decided that rebuilding was too tough of a pill to swallow even though that pill would have been good medicine.

This club will not buy its way to a pennant and it would not be wise to even try. They have no minor league pitching that is close to carrying the load of a big league rotation. They have some tradeable resources on the big league club. Some combination of utilizing our tradeable resources and buying the right pieces like Otani seems to me to be the one way that might work.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 in 10 making a difference in the majors might be the odds of someone you draft who makes it a year or two in your minors, but if you are trading for prospects you had better do much better than that. It will be a lot better than that for the teams who traded us Lucroy and Hamels. If you trade for 10 AA and AAA pitchers and only 1 in 10 make it to the majors and make a difference then your evaluators need to be fired. Unless, of course, you have a very high bar for "making a difference."

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can either get by the way we have been getting by or we can rebuild to a certain level and realize 2018 won't be pretty. To not rebuild is to continue to be a wildcard chasing team in my opinion. There are some tough decisions that need to be made and carried out. We were facing something somewhat similar in the offseason that we acquired Prince and Choo and decided that rebuilding was too tough of a pill to swallow even though that pill would have been good medicine.

This club will not buy its way to a pennant and it would not be wise to even try. They have no minor league pitching that is close to carrying the load of a big league rotation. They have some tradeable resources on the big league club. Some combination of utilizing our tradeable resources and buying the right pieces like Otani seems to me to be the one way that might work.
any of those tradeable assets going will only make the team worse in 2018. 1st off none of them are going to garness top prospects

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well to start: 1) stop the medical rehab signings, 2) get otani, 3) sign at least 1 more quality starter, 4) sign at least 2 quality relievers (1 left/1 right).

If you had to make a wild-ass-guess as too what you're plan-of-plans would cost for 2018, and each year thereafter, what would that number be?

(2) Ohtani.....$10 mil per? (3) another quality starter? $10 mil per? And who might this be? (3) 2 quality relievers....give me the number (s) and names on this please.

And all this "spending" and we've still got holes in our everyday lineup. Eh, OK......