• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FBS going to split in half?

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a matter of time before the FBS split between the haves and have-nots. This will also give the SEC and Big-10 the excuse they need to jettison the Vandys of the world.

Why would athletes want to sign a contract with one school for their entire career when they can enter the portal every year and sell themselves to the highest bidder?

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would athletes want to sign a contract with one school for their entire career when they can enter the portal every year and sell themselves to the highest bidder?
Same reason professional athletes never take 1-year deals.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same reason professional athletes never take 1-year deals.
If the athletes want to be professionals then they should be treated as pros. The CFB industry should offer only TWO-year contracts. Each year the school and student-athlete can sign a NEW 2 yr deal. IF either party doesn't sign the extension then EACH knows that the next season will be the last. Right now the schools have no idea when or if the kid is going to jump ship. If the kid doesn't want to play in year-two he then has to sit out a year (like the old transfer rule) because he is still under contract.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the athletes want to be professionals then they should be treated as pros. The CFB industry should offer only TWO-year contracts. Each year the school and student-athlete can sign a NEW 2 yr deal. IF either party doesn't sign the extension then EACH knows that the next season will be the last. Right now the schools have no idea when or if the kid is going to jump ship. If the kid doesn't want to play in year-two he then has to sit out a year (like the old transfer rule) because he is still under contract.
I think this will end up happening. I mean we are seeing right now that literally no one is safe. There's rumors that even Ohio State's fucking QB is in the transfer portal.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who is going to enforce that rule? Who is the “CFB industry”?

This looks like it will head to a players union, which will likely lead to contracts, but they have to establish ownership, which likely means that college football will be privatized. That means they will likely have to limit membership to the league.

Things are about to change quickly in a big way.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the American way! Take those teams who already have a lot of money, and give them even MORE money.

Poorer schools get even poorer. One of my teams is already in the big boys club (though many would argue they don't deserve to be there), while my other team would bite the dust

I disagree. I don't see money for the lower volume schools changing.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this will end up happening. I mean we are seeing right now that literally no one is safe. There's rumors that even Ohio State's fucking QB is in the transfer portal.

those aren't rumors.

it's also because he isn't good enough to be OSUs qb

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some posts have brought up legal contracts. This will present a problem for some. My birthday is in the summer. I graduated, as did one of daughters, at 17. This will happen to some players and they will not be able to sign. Schools won't want to wait until late July to offer scholarships.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, I live near Mercer in Macon, and I’m friends with their AD. They play Alabama, and Auburn the past few years. They said your Ole Miss team was the fastest they had played. Kiffin looks like he is getting them ready to be a playoff team next year. Definitely top 10 program right now. Maybe Michigan will play them in the near future.

We will never be ready for that until we can get a solid top level defense... If we ever figure that out, then you might see Olemiss up with the Michigan's of the world... Our offense and special teams are there... Just need the final piece of the puzzle that has eluded us for so long...

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and who thought a few years ago the PAC 12 would fold?

FSU and Clemson seem to be actively trying to get out of the ACC. I’d actually be shocked if the ACC doesn’t dramatically change in the next 5 years. This announcement just confirms my thoughts about it happening.

They would be stupid to leave the ACC.... Easiest path to a Natty opportunity in all of college football ...

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would be stupid to leave the ACC.... Easiest path to a Natty opportunity in all of college football ...
Maybe an easier path to the playoffs, but I don’t know about a “natty”.

Regardless, they may be leaving $60+ million a year on the table by staying in the ACC. I think they could announce a new conference in the next 4-5 months. If they go, Clemson will be gone shortly afterward.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will never be ready for that until we can get a solid top level defense... If we ever figure that out, then you might see Olemiss up with the Michigan's of the world... Our offense and special teams are there... Just need the final piece of the puzzle that has eluded us for so long...

Your program would have likely been good enough to snag a top 12 playoff spot, if they had them this year. That's all that matters. I imagine it will be easier to attract better players at key positions if you have a playoff record.

I don't know what you have returning, but you don't have Alabama in the 2024 regular season. I see a solid case for 10 wins next season from Ole Miss. The crap shoot games will be @LSU, Oklahoma, and @Florida. Georgia will likely take an upset on your part as they should be favored, but you are at home. I think you will be favored in every other game on your schedule next year. So if you just win 2 of those 4 games, 10 wins in the SEC should get you a top 12 spot in the playoffs next year.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your program would have likely been good enough to snag a top 12 playoff spot, if they had them this year. That's all that matters. I imagine it will be easier to attract better players at key positions if you have a playoff record.

I don't know what you have returning, but you don't have Alabama in the 2024 regular season. I see a solid case for 10 wins next season from Ole Miss. The crap shoot games will be @LSU, Oklahoma, and @Florida. Georgia will likely take an upset on your part as they should be favored, but you are at home. I think you will be favored in every other game on your schedule next year. So if you just win 2 of those 4 games, 10 wins in the SEC should get you a top 12 spot in the playoffs next year.

Wow I just saw the schedule... We've never not had Bama and Auburn on our schedule... I don't know how to react to this..

But I will take it!!. LOLOL

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe an easier path to the playoffs, but I don’t know about a “natty”. "Opportunity"

Regardless, they may be leaving $60+ million a year on the table by staying in the ACC. I think they could announce a new conference in the next 4-5 months. If they go, Clemson will be gone shortly afterward.

Fixed it for you.. You left 1 little key word out that i said...

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fixed it for you.. You left 1 little key word out that i said...
i guess you didn’t read what I said. There is a BIG difference from making the playoffs and a “natty opportunity”. For example, If they had a 12 team playoff this year, Liberty would have been in the playoffs. No one would call that a “natty opportunity”, although some would say they have a chance that a non playoff team wouldn’t have, but it’s still a 0% chance.

FSU is better off in the SEC or B10. Each conference is highly likely to have 4 or more teams in the playoffs the next few years.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no, but the student-athletes
No Idea Idk GIF by Bounce
"I ain't hurr to play skool"

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess you didn’t read what I said. There is a BIG difference from making the playoffs and a “natty opportunity”. For example, If they had a 12 team playoff this year, Liberty would have been in the playoffs. No one would call that a “natty opportunity”, although some would say they have a chance that a non playoff team wouldn’t have, but it’s still a 0% chance.

FSU is better off in the SEC or B10. Each conference is highly likely to have 4 or more teams in the playoffs the next few years.

I guess opportunity means something different up north than it means down south.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3