• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FBS going to split in half?

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The split is coming. There is no way these lower programs can compete if the coaches are spending significant time fundraising for NIL funds.
Hell, the SEC and B1G are trying to box out the rest of the P4 with their latest playoff proposal, And if you take the WSU prez at his word, they're planning to splinter their own playoff out from the rest of college football. Which would be a travesty.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, the SEC and B1G are trying to box out the rest of the P4 with their latest playoff proposal, And if you take the WSU prez at his word, they're planning to splinter their own playoff out from the rest of college football. Which would be a travesty.

I saw the comments by Jamey Chadwell's comments about losing CJ Daniels, and from several other coaches recently (along with those quoted in the article) about their losses and inability to keep top talent.

Even if you are a great coach, at a smaller program you can't create a great program when you have to spend great amounts of time fundraising NIL money, recruiting your own players to return, and recruiting high school kids. The top 30 programs can spend HUGE amounts of money paying people to get the NIL funds and can have a huge staff that can help keep the key players from the transfer portal. That way the head coaches and other coaches can concentrate on developing the players, and recruiting outside players to the program. It is such a huge advantage.

I think everything changes in the next 3-4 years. I don't even think the NCAA will have control over the top tier of football for much longer. It will shrink down to about 40-50 teams, dictated on money, and the other teams will just join a new division of college football.

On a side note, I can't wait to see how the new EA Sports game handles it all. The recruiting was always my favorite part of the game. It will be interesting to see how the NIL and transfer portal play is done in this game...along with conference realignment (although they had the conference realignment in the last few versions of the game).

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CFB at a national level is gonna get pretty unwatchable for the fans of outside of about 10-15 programs.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CFB at a national level is gonna get pretty unwatchable for the fans of outside of about 10-15 programs.

I think that is why the Big Ten has pushed to get an NFL type blueprint of the United States with their teams. Having teams across the entire country helps them make it a nationwide conference. The ratings are there, so all they need to do now is get people interested in the games played in the East, Midwest, South, West, etc. and they might see a ratings explosion.

I think if the Big Ten could get a few teams in the Carolina's, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc. I think they could put out a 24 team conference that would legitimately cover many of the biggest markets US similar to what the NFL does.

I could even see them combining with the SEC and being more "separate but equal" type league. Almost what the American League and National League were in baseball (although they would have crossover games, and likely remain with crossover playoffs too).

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is why the Big Ten has pushed to get an NFL type blueprint of the United States with their teams. Having teams across the entire country helps them make it a nationwide conference. The ratings are there, so all they need to do now is get people interested in the games played in the East, Midwest, South, West, etc. and they might see a ratings explosion.

I think if the Big Ten could get a few teams in the Carolina's, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc. I think they could put out a 24 team conference that would legitimately cover many of the biggest markets US similar to what the NFL does.

I could even see them combining with the SEC and being more "separate but equal" type league. Almost what the American League and National League were in baseball (although they would have crossover games, and likely remain with crossover playoffs too).
Dunno man. If KU isn't in the BIG or SEC, I am gonna have very little reason to care about anything in that orbit going forward. Just the truth. Love the NFL, but I am not rooting for 2 NFLs.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno man. If KU isn't in the BIG or SEC, I am gonna have very little reason to care about anything in that orbit going forward. Just the truth. Love the NFL, but I am not rooting for 2 NFLs.
College football is so underdeveloped right now. If they limited the teams in a higher division, had a more central scheduling system, ratings would explode. Whenever there are good games the ratings go through the roof.

The problem is teams schedule 8+ cupcakes every season. I really like this upcoming year scheduling and I think with the expanded playoffs we’ll see more big ratings games. Less pressure to be perfect.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football is so underdeveloped right now. If they limited the teams in a higher division, had a more central scheduling system, ratings would explode. Whenever there are good games the ratings go through the roof.

The problem is teams schedule 8+ cupcakes every season. I really like this upcoming year scheduling and I think with the expanded playoffs we’ll see more big ratings games. Less pressure to be perfect.
So... concerns that only 10-15 schools legitimately have. More like 5. 3 of which have about a 50% chance to make the playoffs from before week 0 starts. Come on.

These are concerns maybe Michigan has. There's zero chance a Rutgers fan thinks the same way. You know that.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... concerns that only 10-15 schools legitimately have. More like 5. 3 of which have about a 50% chance to make the playoffs from before week 0 starts. Come on.

These are concerns maybe Michigan has. There's zero chance a Rutgers fan thinks the same way. You know that.
If you shrink the top division to 40-50 teams and set up a more equitable system, more teams will rise.

Right now there are pretty much no rules for NIL or transfer portal. It’s a Wild Wild West system right now. If they can develop a system that puts some governing rules in place that will at least help begin leveling the playing field.

I think that college football is definitely heading in that direction. If they develop it correctly it has A LOT of potential for big gains.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the spark that ruined college football? Anyone have some notes?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the spark that ruined college football? Anyone have some notes?
I'm one of the rare people who thinks the that the NIL was a good thing.

I've live in the hotbed of talent state in Central Georgia for almost 16 years now. I've been friends with several high school football coaches, and we've seen several dozens of kids from the local high schools here go to UGA, GT, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, FSU and other schools. It wasn't a secret that every big school had a bagman. There was money being offered all over the place. This kept the best players going to the same schools each year.

At least now it is out in the open. Kids don't have to lie and hide their money any longer (many were terrible at it anyway). I think now the discussion is becoming, "how do we regulate it?" If they are smart, they will move closer to leveling the playing field. Narrowing it down to 40-50 programs can help to begin doing that.

I do think they need to limit the transfer portal. College football will begin losing its best coaches if they have to spend all this time recruiting high school kids AND their own kids year after year. Maybe you give a kid one "get out of jail" card in a transfer portal. After that, they have sit a year if they transfer out.