• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Skins HCs of my/your era ranked

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Gibbs 1.0 w% .682 Fun bunch, Dexter, Riggo, Theismann, Monte, Nelms, Joe Washington, and the crew.

The Posse, Kelvin Bryant, Green's PR in Chicago, 2nd quarter.

The 91 team posting I think three straight home shutouts to start the season. RIP, Byner getting his ring post fumble, Monk being healthy on a Super Bowl winning team.

2. Gibbs 2.0 w% .469 Taylor, Portis, Santana, Cooley. Brought some much needed respectability back to Ashburn. Monday Night Miracle in Dallas, the playoff win in Tampa.

3. Gruden w% .445 Kirk, Jackson, Garçon, Reed, Crowder and that passing offense of 2015. Regular season beat down of GB.

4. Mike Shanahan w% .375 We'll always have 2012

5. Norv Turner w% .456 Had some good teams and a bunch of talent. Great guy. Maybe too nice. Guys didn't play hard for him. Beat the Lions in the playoffs though and almost had Tampa if not for Turk.

6. Schottenheimer w% .500 Didn't get a fair shake. Won his last five games. I'm still pissed at him for taking Gardner over Santana in the draft. Really good coach though.

7. Zorn w% .375 started off on fire, quickly lost the respect of the team and the clown show ensued.

8. Robiskie w% .333 Did the best he could considering the circumstances. God 2000 was a nightmare.

9. Petitbon w% .250 That was hard to watch.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vince Lombardi’s team in 69! Allen’s over the hill gang teams blow away
Everything but Gibbs 1

True but without George Allen there would be no Bruce Allen :D. Is the trade off worth it?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep George Allen was worth it. We got and lost Lombardi so quickly. Allen turned the team and the culture of Washington football around. Diron Talbert, Larry Brown, Sweet Pea Roy Jefferson etc. etc.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vince Lombardi’s team in 69! Allen’s over the hill gang teams blow away
Everything but Gibbs 1

Respect skinsdad. I posted this because I was interested to hear what the general thoughts were on the coaches before my time/Gibbs.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys gotta break this down for me. WTF was Allen's deal with Sonny. Why was Kilmer his dude? All I ever heard growing up from my dad and my brother was, "Allen should have played Sonny."

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny was more of a gun slinger, free style passer and Sonny was getting a little long in the tooth. Then came old George from the old conservative era. You run the ball, play def and play good ST. The less you throw the less bad things can happen fumbles, INT etc. Bum Phillips reminds me of old George. He ran Campbell into the ground and this is what George did with Larry Brown. I think we could have beaten the Dolphins if George had open up a little bit and let Sonny played in that super bowl. George was stubborn just like his son. George was very conservative but he will always be one my favorite all time redskin coachs alone with Lombardi and a course Joe Gibbs.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Spurrier belongs on MT.Coachmore.. Spurrier, Bill Snyder, Coach K,Dick Howser, best 4 coaches on this planet r.i.p Howser

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys gotta break this down for me. WTF was Allen's deal with Sonny. Why was Kilmer his dude? All I ever heard growing up from my dad and my brother was, "Allen should have played Sonny."
allen didnt like sonny throwing the ball around , he wanted to play defense and not have the offense lose it

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sonny could not have played in the SB because he was hurt. Kilmer started the first 3 games of the 1972 season and he started Jurgensen in game 4 through 7. Early in the 7th game against the Giants Sonny torn his Achilles Tendon and was done for the year.

Allen was a great defensive coach and he was the first HC to hire a ST coach. As was mentioned earlier he preferred to run the ball and play good D and ST. It would have been cool to see what the Redskins could have done with Sonny in that Super Bowl.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was always just presented to me that their was a big QB controversy separate from just that one game.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was always just presented to me that their was a big QB controversy separate from just that one game.

That is true but it was generated by the fans. There were I Like Billy and I Like Sonny bumper stickers. The fans chose sides. Sonny felt the same way about George as many here feel about Bruce.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is both billy and sonny liked each other but hated thiesman

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually there was another one....the trade that sent the 24 year old Snead to Washington for the 29 year old Jurgensen. There were plenty of critics here in D.C. against that move. In Philly they absolutely loved Sonny and the trade was a extremely sore point for Eagles fans that continues to this day whenever the topic is broached.

BTW: Bill McPeak was really well liked, primarily because he replaced his old boss (??? first name escapes me) Nixon as HC. He also got his teams to do something that hadn't been done in a while and that's win some games. Unfortunately, with the offensive talent that they put together under him, the defense was, to be kind, horrendous! I think that they won 6 or 7 games one season under him, but don't quote me on that and no more than 4 or 5 at any other time. Keep in mind, this was a vast improvement over previous HC's in Washington at the time. Because he didn't get the improvements that were becoming expected, he was replaced by another beloved HC.....Otto Graham, who was replaced by one of the most beloved HC's in NFL history and my favorite all time Vince Lombardi. ( Yep even over Gibbs).

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true but it was generated by the fans. There were I Like Billy and I Like Sonny bumper stickers. The fans chose sides. Sonny felt the same way about George as many here feel about Bruce.

Wow! That bad.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny could not have played in the SB because he was hurt. Kilmer started the first 3 games of the 1972 season and he started Jurgensen in game 4 through 7. Early in the 7th game against the Giants Sonny torn his Achilles Tendon and was done for the year.

Allen was a great defensive coach and he was the first HC to hire a ST coach. As was mentioned earlier he preferred to run the ball and play good D and ST. It would have been cool to see what the Redskins could have done with Sonny in that Super Bowl.

Thanks for the correction. Yes he was hurt now that I think about it. I always preferred Sonny over Kilmer but hey I am a die hard, just as long as we win.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! That bad.

He was being kind when he said that about Mr. Jurgensen's feelings about George Allen. It was a lot worse than that, in fact if you could take the hottest day on record and put those two together back then, the temperature around them would drop to near freezing.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep George Allen was worth it. We got and lost Lombardi so quickly. Allen turned the team and the culture of Washington football around. Diron Talbert, Larry Brown, Sweet Pea Roy Jefferson etc. etc.

My reply was just a joke. Allen did well during his tenure - if you Google that SB team & take a look at those guys and their size & measurable you will simply be amazed that the group made it as far as they did - pretty damn good coaching.