• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Hops to use.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in the desert southwest. Lagering has long been a point of contention. Fortunately I now have enough refrigeration capacity with temp control. As Americans, ales are easy to achieve. Lagers, not so much. Now that I have the ability to control this stuff, I'm very interested to start exploring the traditional German styles, and decoction mashing.

Sorry to beer-geek out. Just got a job in a brewery today. First step toward the eventual ownership of my own.

Here's a llama: :llama:

I'm also in the desert, so I'm relegated to "warm" brews, since I don't make enough money to establish the necessary refrigeration capacity. But I haven't brewed in a while. Graduate school makes that difficult right now.

On topic, I love cascade as a flavoring hop, and I probably use it too much. I also like chinook, and I like fuggles for the sole reason that it's fun to say "fuggles."

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats. What brewery? I got a buddy out in Davis CA that brews at Sudwerk, went to UC Davis brewing school before getting the job

Opening a brewery has always been a dream of mine too, since i started brewing anyways.

edit: never mind, just saw where you already mentioned the brewery

Thanks man. Looking forward to getting out of corporate life. Some people excel at it, and more power to them. It wasn't for me. Can't wait to get started tomorrow.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also in the desert, so I'm relegated to "warm" brews, since I don't make enough money to establish the necessary refrigeration capacity. But I haven't brewed in a while. Graduate school makes that difficult right now.

On topic, I love cascade as a flavoring hop, and I probably use it too much. I also like chinook, and I like fuggles for the sole reason that it's fun to say "fuggles."

I put cascades in everything for about three or four years. I decided I experimented enough, and now I'm looking for more diversity, especially in my Pales and IPA's.

I still really like Fuggles and used them as my bittering hop for an Irish Red I just brewed last week.

These two hops reminded me of something somebody in my brew club brewed as his first attempt at all-grain. He used Cascades as the bittering/aroma/flavor, and then dry hopped with Fuggles. It was remarkably good, especially since this was the guy's first attempt.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My LHBS store got the motherload on hops and some of these I have not used (a few I haven't even heard of). Anyone have any experience with these??

Vanguard
Warrior
Zythos
Mt. Ranier
Millenium
Galena
Summit
Sterling
Newport
Palisade

Read up a little bit on them all. Vanguard, Zythos, Mt. Ranier and Palisade seem particularly interesting to me.