• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expectation for Champ this year?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into each season since around 2005 I think that Champ had been the defensive player we could have the most confidence in to perform at the highest possible level. This year, however, based mostly on his play in the playoff game, I have a hard time knowing what to expect from Champ, a guy who I definitely think is an all-time great Bronco.

Anyway, the discussion in another thread about what to expect this year from Rahim Moore, who we all know made one of the worst plays in Broncos history in that playoff game, reminded me of my concern about Champ and made me wonder what other Broncos fans are expecting from 24 this year. Thoughts?

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Champ will still play at an above average level. I only remember that playoff game where he looked off. Even the best slip up every now and then.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical Pro Bowl level.

Having Chris Harris develop the way he has and with DRC in the mix too, some of the pressure will be off Champ to guard the other team's top WR every game/play.....in my opinion, that will keep him fresh.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you keep him off burners, but against the rest he'll still be productive.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Champ will still play at an above average level. I only remember that playoff game where he looked off. Even the best slip up every now and then.

I agree. All yr long leading to playoff gm, he played as good as any cover corners out there. Some forget when Denver smoked Balt at end of season, Champ and company shut down T. Smith and co. Champ isn`t the same obviously but he`s still one of the best cover guys ( which is prob the hardest D position to play) out there. Prob is. he has slowed a bit but Denver decided to let Flacco hold the ball forever and release the bombs downfield in that gm. How many dbs do ya think that are out there that could stay with elite speed wrs like Smith for 6-8 secs? Not many I assure you. I believe Denver coaches learned alot from that gm. Champ isn`t invincible and that they better get help over the top and more pressure from the line if their going to be succsseful vs guys like Torry. I`am pretty sure everybody in Denvers lockeroom has no doubt whatsoever in Champs abilities to still perform at a high level. I am guessing in the past, Denver coaches/dbs were so confident that champ could handle one side of the field that they always concentrated their thoughts/moves to giving the other guy the help. That was obvious in PO game as nobody was anywhere near champ to help. You`ll see this yr that Denver will look to bring the help toward the most feared wr no matter if its champ or not on him.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaning the same way you guys are. It sucks that Champ had to have one of the worst games of his career when it mattered most, but I don't see this affecting him going into this season. He's been doing this way too long to let one game mess him up mentally......even though it was such a huge game. I'm sure he'll play at an above average level again this year, and he should really create some opportunities for DRC, who I'm really pumped about.

He may have lost a step, but there are only maybe 4-5 corners in the league that are better than him. Even that's a stretch really.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Champ obviously isnt what he once was but with Harris, D.R.C., Carter the Broncos corners will be just fine. Sounds like Jammer will be playing some safety this year for the Broncos.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were so many factors that played into Champ's bad day. Champ definitely had one of his worst days but he is definitely not alone in that. Dumervil and Miller both struggled to get any kind of pressure (hadn't had that problem all year) and the push up the middle was the worst I had seen all season.

My guess with Champ this year is the Broncos will have him keep doing what he has been doing in covering the top receiver unless they are the burner like Smith. DRC is the perfect answer to the speed that those guys bring as I would guess he is faster than almost every single one of them and thrives on those go routes. Against the bigger physical receivers the Broncos will continue to use Champ as he has shut down those type all of his career.

Champ might take a little step back this year but as a whole the Secondary should be better. DRC if he even produces a little will already have done better than Porter for us last year. I expect he will do more than just a little for this defense. Harris is entering the prime years of his career so should thrive especially if they keep him in the slot almost full time. Behind him there is still Tony Carter, Bolden, Kayvon, and Jammer (part-time) that should make this a very well rounded group. Getting back Carter and adding Jammer to the safety group should help some with the TE problem. They won't be world beaters at safety but all they need to be is above average.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey cd good to see you and, like you, feel Denvers secondary, with the added additions such as DRC and Jammer plus rookie Webster, who I`ve heard some comments regarding how impressive hes been with comparrisions to Champ ( cover skills) and Atwater ( we know what he brought). Overall I believe this group could possibly be one of the best in NFL for years to come. Very excited to see how the whole D will be in 2013

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey cd good to see you and, like you, feel Denvers secondary, with the added additions such as DRC and Jammer plus rookie Webster, who I`ve heard some comments regarding how impressive hes been with comparrisions to Champ ( cover skills) and Atwater ( we know what he brought). Overall I believe this group could possibly be one of the best in NFL for years to come. Very excited to see how the whole D will be in 2013

I honestly think DRC could be the difference between us having a good defense and us having a great defense. The guy has all the talent in the world and has the ability to be a top 5 corner in the NFL. The great thing for this unit that I think gets overlooked some is the fact that almost every single game they play this season will be against worst competition than what they will see in practice every day. Harris talked about it some in how him going against Welker everyday should bring out the best in both of them. Thomas talked about how good DRC is looking and vice versa. I cannot wait to see the pass offense verse this secondary coming up in training camp. It should lead to some heated battles.

Orange-and-Blue

Go Broncos!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The competition factor during practice is a big one. Aside from the talent we have catching the ball, we also have a quarterback that puts the ball where it belongs. That makes it even tougher on the dbs as they have less chances to knock down or pick off passes.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point we are going to expect a drop off. He is 34 years old, and there is not a big list of corners over the age 33 that were known as shut down corners.

The bigger problem is every year there are more and more rules that truly make it impossible for corners to be true cover corners. To illustrate that point, in 1985 Montana led the NFL in completion% with 61%. In 2009, Jason Campbell completed 64% of his passes, and he was ranked 10th in the NFL.

The way coverages are done is through multiple coverages. Hopefully you catch the QB on a bad day, or give him something that he has never seen.

OR, the pass rush with the front 4 in a 4-3 are that good. Where stunts or blitzes (additional pass rushers) are not needed. Ala the Giants on Brady.

What I expect is teams will have the scouting tape of what the Ravens PLANNED to do last year. The Ravens came out with every intention of attacking Champ. Cause the Broncos scheme did not put a safety on top of Champ. Champ no longer has the speed to keep with the 4.3 9 or 8 routes with out anyone on top of him. He has the real skill to cover the shallow routes. The slants or 10 yard digs. He is really skillful with it, and the refs usually give him the benefit of the doubt cause of who he is.

I am hoping JDR and Fox plan on putting a safety over the top of Champ. Especially against the Ravens in game one. Cause as of now, it looks more and more like Flacco will have more time with no Von Mller there.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point we are going to expect a drop off. He is 34 years old, and there is not a big list of corners over the age 33 that were known as shut down corners.

The bigger problem is every year there are more and more rules that truly make it impossible for corners to be true cover corners. To illustrate that point, in 1985 Montana led the NFL in completion% with 61%. In 2009, Jason Campbell completed 64% of his passes, and he was ranked 10th in the NFL.

The way coverages are done is through multiple coverages. Hopefully you catch the QB on a bad day, or give him something that he has never seen.

OR, the pass rush with the front 4 in a 4-3 are that good. Where stunts or blitzes (additional pass rushers) are not needed. Ala the Giants on Brady.

What I expect is teams will have the scouting tape of what the Ravens PLANNED to do last year. The Ravens came out with every intention of attacking Champ. Cause the Broncos scheme did not put a safety on top of Champ. Champ no longer has the speed to keep with the 4.3 9 or 8 routes with out anyone on top of him. He has the real skill to cover the shallow routes. The slants or 10 yard digs. He is really skillful with it, and the refs usually give him the benefit of the doubt cause of who he is.

I am hoping JDR and Fox plan on putting a safety over the top of Champ. Especially against the Ravens in game one. Cause as of now, it looks more and more like Flacco will have more time with no Von Mller there.

I think you make some good points. Hopefully, the pass rush, particularly from the inside, is improved enough to obviate any possible erosion in Champ's ability to cover one-on-one. Personally, I'm optimistic about the prospect of Wolfe, Williams, Vickerson, and maybe even Ayers to get pressure up the middle, ala the '07 NYG. Of course, they also had good pressure off the edges, so hopefully Phillips and Smith help provide that, particularly while Miller is out (if he is in fact suspended). Otherwise, I think that you are right that Champ will need more help from the safeties than he required in the past. Perhaps a combination of the the two.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think come that first game Champ will not be covering Torrey Smith this time around. DRC is the big time burner in the secondary and my guess is the Broncos will have him on Smith most of the game to illuminate the deep pass. My guess is the Broncos will change it up and will try to eliminate the deep pass that killed them against the Ravens last year. I guess for me if I was the Broncos I would work on shutting down the run (which they have the players to do that just like they did last year) and then take away anything deep. Make Flacco beat you with the underneath routes and have to drive the length of the field. If there is one thing I see in Flacco's game that he struggles with is sometimes having patience to take what the defense gives him. He likes the big play and has the receivers to do it but if you eliminate that option I think you can force him into some mistakes.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think come that first game Champ will not be covering Torrey Smith this time around. DRC is the big time burner in the secondary and my guess is the Broncos will have him on Smith most of the game to illuminate the deep pass. My guess is the Broncos will change it up and will try to eliminate the deep pass that killed them against the Ravens last year. I guess for me if I was the Broncos I would work on shutting down the run (which they have the players to do that just like they did last year) and then take away anything deep. Make Flacco beat you with the underneath routes and have to drive the length of the field. If there is one thing I see in Flacco's game that he struggles with is sometimes having patience to take what the defense gives him. He likes the big play and has the receivers to do it but if you eliminate that option I think you can force him into some mistakes.

The issue of course will be the pass rush. It will be well documented and covered leading up that game. That will be THEE issue. Flacco, when given time, will find guys deep. He throws one of the better deep balls, and it will not matter at some point what schemes they use in the secondary.

They will need to be getting to him. Looks like Jacoby Jones may well be injured for that game. I hate to hope for injuries for another team, but that would be a relief. Cause he and Smith are both burners. To say nothing that they can still run the ball with Rice.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue of course will be the pass rush. It will be well documented and covered leading up that game. That will be THEE issue. Flacco, when given time, will find guys deep. He throws one of the better deep balls, and it will not matter at some point what schemes they use in the secondary.

They will need to be getting to him. Looks like Jacoby Jones may well be injured for that game. I hate to hope for injuries for another team, but that would be a relief. Cause he and Smith are both burners. To say nothing that they can still run the ball with Rice.

I do think though the Broncos have at least worked to solve one of their biggest issues from last year against the Ravens in getting 2 new guys to help collapse the pocket. I think one of the things the Ravens did better than anybody else last year was forcing Von and Dumervil to try and run the arch to get pressure and since we could get no push up the middle Flacco could just step up into the pocket and get himself an extra second or two waiting for the guys to get deep. Hopefully Williams can live up to his draft potential and be that inside presence the Broncos have been missing. I think Knighton can help out at least a little with that as well.

All of that hopefully is enough to at least survive that first game. We shall see I guess.