• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Emeka Okafor Could Be Trade Chip For Suns

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emeka Okafor Could Be Trade Chip For Suns | Hoops Rumors

"As we approach the February 20th trade deadline, notable names like Kyle Lowry and Andre Miller figure to see lots of time on the pages of Hoops Rumors. However, one of the most desirable players on the trade block might be someone you wouldn’t quite expect – Emeka Okafor. The big man has been sidelined all season long with a neck injury, but with insurance picking up the tab on 80% of what remains on his $14.5MM salary, he could bring quite a return for Phoenix.

The Suns, who are determined to make the postseason despite losing Eric Bledsoe to injury, have expressed a willingness to absorb a veteran player on a short-term deal who wouldn’t wreck their future cap space, league sources told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. With clubs looking for ways to dump payroll and avoid luxury-tax penalties, Phoenix could have a multitude of deal possibilities to consider over the next few weeks.

The Suns could have up to six first-round draft picks over the next two years, including four in the talent-packed 2014 draft. GM Ryan McDonough has said he is willing to explore using his draft picks, young assets, and cap space (~$5MM) to explore possible deals for All-Star-level caliber players."

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like those odds

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw. We are saving him for the stretch run on our way to the championship.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emeka Okafor could definitely net the Suns something valuable this season, especially if the Suns add in some assets such as a pick or or player. I do not know who the Suns should target though. There are probably a lot of options.

Before the Suns make any moves, they should ask themselves, does this legitimately make us able to challenge the Heat, Thunder, Spurs, or Pacers in a seven game series. If not, then there really is no point in making the trade. Unless you can make a trade that gives you a realistic shot at contending for a championship this season, I would prefer for them to keep the current team intact and develop their young players.

I have read the rumors about Pau Gasol and here are my thoughts on him. Before he was on the Lakers, I thought he was a soft, second tier center. When he got traded to the Lakers, I was blown away by how great he was for them. Three finals appearances and two championships. He was awesome. Then after he was traded by the Lakers along with Lamar Odom for Chris Paul, I was shocked the Lakers wanted to trade him for a point guard. The trade was stopped by David Stern and Gasol stayed on the Lakers. Ever since then, he has never been the same. I have always wondered if he was hurt by that attempted trade and if that has affected his game. Plus, his game does not fit D'antoni's system. There have been maybe public disagreements between him and D'antoni and I think Gasol and D'antoni do not like each other.

Now as far as him coming to the Suns, it depends. I would not give anything to the Lakers besides Okafor's contract and maybe the Pacers pick, (maybe). Gasol on the Suns could actually work out really well. First off, Gasol still can play inside. He is a real scoring big man who would dramatically help in the half-court set. In the playoffs when the game slows down, who are the Suns going to pass the ball inside to? Markieff Morris? Maybe, but I do not know if he is capable of being a consistent inside scoring option. It is possible, but I do not know. Secondly, Gasol should definitely help with the team's rebounding. The Suns give up way too many offensive rebounds and need to address that. Thirdly, Gasol would not slow the Suns down. He can run the floor great for a big man. He is older now but can still play a huge role.

Think about it this way, Gasol is playing on a bad Lakers team that is going nowhere. He does not get along with the coach and is in the last year of his contract. Putting him on the Suns could change his attitude. Look at what Gasol is averaging for January: 20.5 ppg, 12.1 reb, 4.2 ast, 1.8 blk, and shooting 50.7% fg. Honestly, when he is playing up to his potential and dominating, he is probably the best scoring center in the league.

If the Suns can get a center averaging 17 and 10, who is only improving as the season is going along and all they have to give up is a contract for a player who is not playing, and a late first round pick, I think that is probably worth it.

The new lineup would be:
Dragic
Green
Tucker
Gasol
Plumlee

Off the bench is Frye, the Morris brothers, Len, Barbosa, Ish Smith, Goodwin, Christmas, Kravstov

Then if and when Bledsoe comes back makes them even better. The Suns would be loaded. Gasol also brings championship experience and would be a great mentor for Len.

Last edited by a moderator:

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say that while I did predict you guys to have the worst record in the NBA it did annoy me how people in the preseason all were assuming the Suns were destined to waive Okafor once he got healthy and he'd catch on with a team like the Clippers.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody wants Pau Gasol, we want athletes who can get up and down the floor....... Were about running Pau would really slow us down.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The suns need a stretch 4 its the whole reason our pick and roll works so well. We need a legit more consistant SF.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns need to make a move and try to win a championship this year. They are currently the #6 seed without Bledsoe for large stretches of games. He should be back and if they add a stud, they would compete with anyone.

They've played the Spurs close this year and beat the Pacers. OKC and the Heat whooped us, but I don't think you just scrap the season because you might not win it all. After this year, they owe it to themselves and the fans to go all out.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns need to make a move and try to win a championship this year. They are currently the #6 seed without Bledsoe for large stretches of games. He should be back and if they add a stud, they would compete with anyone.

They've played the Spurs close this year and beat the Pacers. OKC and the Heat whooped us, but I don't think you just scrap the season because you might not win it all. After this year, they owe it to themselves and the fans to go all out.

We barely lost to OKC.........

We need to upgrade our forwards, but still keeping PJ and Frye, Channing has made our pick n roll work beautifully.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emeka Okafor could definitely net the Suns something valuable this season, especially if the Suns add in some assets such as a pick or or player. I do not know who the Suns should target though. There are probably a lot of options.

Before the Suns make any moves, they should ask themselves, does this legitimately make us able to challenge the Heat, Thunder, Spurs, or Pacers in a seven game series. If not, then there really is no point in making the trade. Unless you can make a trade that gives you a realistic shot at contending for a championship this season, I would prefer for them to keep the current team intact and develop their young players.

I have read the rumors about Pau Gasol and here are my thoughts on him. Before he was on the Lakers, I thought he was a soft, second tier center. When he got traded to the Lakers, I was blown away by how great he was for them. Three finals appearances and two championships. He was awesome. Then after he was traded by the Lakers along with Lamar Odom for Chris Paul, I was shocked the Lakers wanted to trade him for a point guard. The trade was stopped by David Stern and Gasol stayed on the Lakers. Ever since then, he has never been the same. I have always wondered if he was hurt by that attempted trade and if that has affected his game. Plus, his game does not fit D'antoni's system. There have been maybe public disagreements between him and D'antoni and I think Gasol and D'antoni do not like each other.

Now as far as him coming to the Suns, it depends. I would not give anything to the Lakers besides Okafor's contract and maybe the Pacers pick, (maybe). Gasol on the Suns could actually work out really well. First off, Gasol still can play inside. He is a real scoring big man who would dramatically help in the half-court set. In the playoffs when the game slows down, who are the Suns going to pass the ball inside to? Markieff Morris? Maybe, but I do not know if he is capable of being a consistent inside scoring option. It is possible, but I do not know. Secondly, Gasol should definitely help with the team's rebounding. The Suns give up way too many offensive rebounds and need to address that. Thirdly, Gasol would not slow the Suns down. He can run the floor great for a big man. He is older now but can still play a huge role.

Think about it this way, Gasol is playing on a bad Lakers team that is going nowhere. He does not get along with the coach and is in the last year of his contract. Putting him on the Suns could change his attitude. Look at what Gasol is averaging for January: 20.5 ppg, 12.1 reb, 4.2 ast, 1.8 blk, and shooting 50.7% fg. Honestly, when he is playing up to his potential and dominating, he is probably the best scoring center in the league.

If the Suns can get a center averaging 17 and 10, who is only improving as the season is going along and all they have to give up is a contract for a player who is not playing, and a late first round pick, I think that is probably worth it.

The new lineup would be:
Dragic
Green
Tucker
Gasol
Plumlee

Off the bench is Frye, the Morris brothers, Len, Barbosa, Ish Smith, Goodwin, Christmas, Kravstov

Then if and when Bledsoe comes back makes them even better. The Suns would be loaded. Gasol also brings championship experience and would be a great mentor for Len.

I don't think that the Suns would use Gasol as a power forward. He would be a defensive liability at that spot, he would hurt Phoenix's transition offense, and he would not create as much floor spacing as Frye and the Morris brothers, nor would be as strong of a pick-and-pop option.

Frankly, I don't see Phoenix possessing much interest in Gasol. He is one of the most skilled big men in NBA history, but his mileage is showing and he is nowhere near as efficient as he used to be. And at center, Gasol would downgrade the Suns significantly from Plumlee; the veteran simply cannot provide the same kind of athleticism and reaction time.

The Suns want to make the playoffs this season, but they don't need Gasol to do so and they are likely at least a year away from making a serious run in the postseason, even with Gasol. Thus they'll want to keep developing Plumlee, Len, and the Morris twins, and having Gasol take playing time away from those guys would be most unattractive.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for getting Pau Gasol if it only costs Okafor and a late first round or second round pick. The reason why is because I am thinking about the playoffs. Gasol is still probably the best scoring center in the league when he is on. He put up monster numbers in January and would provide something for the Suns that most teams in the league do not have, which is a guy at the end of games to throw the ball in the post to who can either score or get fouled consistently.

If the Suns make the playoffs and have to play the Spurs, I would love to have Pau Gasol at the end of the game when it is close and run the offense through him. The Suns would be incredibly deep if they acquire him and have three legitimate centers in Gasol, Plumlee, and Len. The combinations of frontcourt players we would have is immense. Gasol, Plumlee, Frye, Markieff Morris, Len. That depth would be awesome.

Remember, if the Suns get Gasol, it is not like they have to give up any of their rotation players or even be forced to play him. It is basically as if they are just signing him outright for the rest of the season. He is also an expiring contract and he does not effect future cap space. Plus if they want to keep him, they get his Bird rights and can sign him and still sign Bledsoe. What other player out there available for trade could provide what Gasol can? Championship experience, expiring contract, still playing great, wants to win, a great mentor for our young players. It really is a logical move because like I said before, even if the Suns get him, it is not liked they are forced to play him if it does not seem to work.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Suns are nowhere near ready to win a championship; let's not get ahead of ourselves.

A realistic timetable would be to make the playoffs in 2014, possibly place some pressure on the Clippers for the Pacific Division crown, and gain valuable experience.

Then in 2015, the realistic goal should be to win a playoff series and possibly emerge as a credible championship contender.

And then with the achievement of those goals, the sky could be the limit for 2016.

But right now, the Suns should not place short-term thirst over the long-term trajectory.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for getting Pau Gasol if it only costs Okafor and a late first round or second round pick. The reason why is because I am thinking about the playoffs. Gasol is still probably the best scoring center in the league when he is on. He put up monster numbers in January and would provide something for the Suns that most teams in the league do not have, which is a guy at the end of games to throw the ball in the post to who can either score or get fouled consistently.

If the Suns make the playoffs and have to play the Spurs, I would love to have Pau Gasol at the end of the game when it is close and run the offense through him. The Suns would be incredibly deep if they acquire him and have three legitimate centers in Gasol, Plumlee, and Len. The combinations of frontcourt players we would have is immense. Gasol, Plumlee, Frye, Markieff Morris, Len. That depth would be awesome.

Remember, if the Suns get Gasol, it is not like they have to give up any of their rotation players or even be forced to play him. It is basically as if they are just signing him outright for the rest of the season. He is also an expiring contract and he does not effect future cap space. Plus if they want to keep him, they get his Bird rights and can sign him and still sign Bledsoe. What other player out there available for trade could provide what Gasol can? Championship experience, expiring contract, still playing great, wants to win, a great mentor for our young players. It really is a logical move because like I said before, even if the Suns get him, it is not liked they are forced to play him if it does not seem to work.

That is true, although there's always the danger of derailing the club's chemistry and momentum while attempting to adjust to Gasol. In a competitive conference, even a brief tailspin could prove disastrous. And if Phoenix needs to bench Gasol, would he pout, complain, and disrupt the Suns' tight-knit chemistry?

I was also thinking about the possibility of a three-team trade, where Gasol goes somewhere else and the Suns acquire a player who fits their system better.

Gasol would be a nice option at the ends of games, I concur. But ultimately, with the rules, concepts, and spacing in today's NBA, I think that running the offense through Dragic would be more efficient. A Dragic-Gasol two-man game would be intriguing, for sure, but whether the Suns would lose too much court spacing and defense is a question.

Anyway, we'll see what, if anything, happens.

nogicat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really really dont like this trade
we are ahead in rebuilding
stay put and dont get greedy
we can make it without him especially with bledsoe coming back soon too.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true, although there's always the danger of derailing the club's chemistry and momentum while attempting to adjust to Gasol. In a competitive conference, even a brief tailspin could prove disastrous. And if Phoenix needs to bench Gasol, would he pout, complain, and disrupt the Suns' tight-knit chemistry?

I was also thinking about the possibility of a three-team trade, where Gasol goes somewhere else and the Suns acquire a player who fits their system better.

Gasol would be a nice option at the ends of games, I concur. But ultimately, with the rules, concepts, and spacing in today's NBA, I think that running the offense through Dragic would be more efficient. A Dragic-Gasol two-man game would be intriguing, for sure, but whether the Suns would lose too much court spacing and defense is a question.

Anyway, we'll see what, if anything, happens.

Yes, chemistry is the main thing I would be worried about. I also would not stop running the offense through Dragic. However, I am just picturing the Suns playing the Spurs in the playoffs and in a situation such as a tie game with one minute to go, being able to throw the ball to Pau Gasol in the post is an option that the Suns do not posses right now. Markeiff Morris has been really good lately, but having Gasol who is a proven champion at the end of games gives the Suns a legitimate counter against Duncan.

I really think Pau Gasol and D'antoni do not like each other and that is why he complains. D'antoni even benched him last year and some games he was not in the starting lineup, which is crazy. To sit a two-time champion who is one of the best centers in the league for no reason is insane.

Also, I know the Suns lead the league in fast breaks, but this team is not a pure run and gun team like the Nash led teams. They run because the team is filled with fantastic athletes and they have the ability to do it, but they also can be very good in the half court too. The Suns do like to the throw the ball into the post to the Morris brothers, Plumlee, and even Channing Frye sometimes. Hornacek knows that the games slow down in the postseason and a player like Pau Gasol could change everything for the Suns. If you trade nothing but Okafor and a low draft pick for a guy like Gasol, you really have nothing to lose.

Gasol has scored 20 or more points in ten straight games and 14 of his last 16 games. He averaged 21 ppg, 12 rbs, 4 ast, 1.7 blk, and 51% fg for January. We are talking about just adding him to this team without giving up any players or high draft picks. Plus, putting him on a team that is currently sixth seed in the West and seems to be improving would probably motivate him to play as hard as he can, especially since he is in a contract year and wants a new deal.

The Suns already play a 10 man rotation, but adding Gasol would make them even deeper.

Dragic/Smith
Green/Barbosa/Goodwin
Tucker/Marcus Morris
Frye/Markieff Morris
Gasol/Plumlee/Len

And if and when Bledsoe comes back, the team could be even more lethal. I also think Plumlee and Len would benefit from being around Pau Gasol. I think acquiring him is a low risk, high reward scenario.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that one way to look at it, in favor of acquiring Gasol, would be to use the 1993 Suns as a model. They featured three players at center: Mark West, Oliver Miller, and Tom Chambers, the latter of whom also served as Charles Barkley's backup at power forward, while also starting at small forward in Game Seven of the Western Conference Finals.

Late in close games, when Phoenix wanted more floor spacing and a someone who demanded defensive attention, Chambers would often (although not always, because of his defensive liabilities) serve as the Suns' center. Gasol, who is the same age now as Chambers that year, could fill that role. For instance, although Barkley and Dan Majerle grabbed the headlines in Game Five of the Western Conference Finals by combining for 77 points, 22 rebounds, and 14 assists, Kevin Johnson and Chambers closed out the victory late in the fourth quarter by working a series of pick-and-rolls/pops.

Seattle SuperSonics at Phoenix Suns Box Score, June 1, 1993 | Basketball-Reference.com

Gasol could be that kind of player for these Suns, but would he accept his role? Would he accept a role where he often sat in favor of guys like Frye, Plumlee, and the Morris twins?

Maybe, maybe not.

UA_Stapler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gasol only costs us Okafor and the pick from the Pacers, I say pull the trigger and see where this takes us. This season already makes no sense anyways.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pass on this if anything other than Okafor's contract & 2nd round pick was involved. And even then, I don't like this trade.

With our without Gasol, the Suns are 2nd round team at best. Gasol's slow plodding ways & soft defense isn't what I would call an asset for a fast break team. So giving away a 1st round pick for 3 months of Gasol would be asinine. Would he make the team better? Possibly. But we are already short on minutes for big guys as it is. If the Suns are trying to develop Alex Len for the future, adding Gasol would decrease his minutes & hamper his growth.

This is likely just another ESPIN fabrication for clicks on their website.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that one way to look at it, in favor of acquiring Gasol, would be to use the 1993 Suns as a model. They featured three players at center: Mark West, Oliver Miller, and Tom Chambers, the latter of whom also served as Charles Barkley's backup at power forward, while also starting at small forward in Game Seven of the Western Conference Finals.

Late in close games, when Phoenix wanted more floor spacing and a someone who demanded defensive attention, Chambers would often (although not always, because of his defensive liabilities) serve as the Suns' center. Gasol, who is the same age now as Chambers that year, could fill that role. For instance, although Barkley and Dan Majerle grabbed the headlines in Game Five of the Western Conference Finals by combining for 77 points, 22 rebounds, and 14 assists, Kevin Johnson and Chambers closed out the victory late in the fourth quarter by working a series of pick-and-rolls/pops.

Seattle SuperSonics at Phoenix Suns Box Score, June 1, 1993 | Basketball-Reference.com

Gasol could be that kind of player for these Suns, but would he accept his role? Would he accept a role where he often sat in favor of guys like Frye, Plumlee, and the Morris twins?

Maybe, maybe not.

Yeah that is what I have been thinking the Suns could do with Gasol. The Suns would have so many different lineups they could put out there depending on who they are playing. Gasol is such a versatile player anyway so he would be able to play in any style.

One of the teams the Suns have really struggled against this season has been the Grizzlies. They pound the Suns inside and the Suns have gotten out rebounded in all three meetings so far, including getting out rebounded by 19 in the second matchup and 9 in the third one. If the two teams were to meet in the playoffs, Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph make for a very tough frontcourt against Frye and Plumlee. If the Suns have Pau Gasol, they could even put a huge lineup out there and play Gasol and Len together to go against Marc Gasol and Randolph. I do not know if it will work, but it is certainly an option.

As you know, the Suns have historically been a small team without a great center and having a true scoring center like Gasol would be new territory for them. As is stands now, Len is the first young seven footer with real potential they have had in a very long time. Shaq had some fantastic moments for the team when he was here but he was already towards the end of his career. Robin Lopez had one stretch in 2010 when he played really well, but was pretty bad otherwise. Gasol is still putting up great numbers and I think he would accept whatever role they ask of him because he probably just wants to win. I also believe he would get along much better with Hornacek than he does with D'antoni.

This is a quote from the LA Times article about the potential trade: "Gasol would be comfortable with a trade to the Suns, eager to prove himself in a new system on a better team, according to a person familiar with his thinking." Lakers in talks to trade Pau Gasol to Phoenix Suns - latimes.com

I know the Suns want to trade for a young superstar and are hesitant to give up their picks, but giving up the Indiana pick would be worth it since it will probably be the 30th pick in the draft. You are still left with up to three first round picks this draft and it is highly unlikely they want to actually draft 3 or 4 rookies and keep them all. If there is another trade for a superstar that would fit the Suns, such as a Kevin Love deal or something of that nature, then that changes everything, but I do not see that happening in mid season. That is the type of trade that might happen on draft day. I would be very reluctant to make a blockbuster deal this moment anyway because of the way the chemistry is. That is why I am such a proponent of this Gasol deal because you are just replacing Okafor's roster spot with Gasol. No active players get traded. Everybody stays.