• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Edinson Volquez

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers signed former all-star (and still a ton left in the tank) Edinson Volquez to a prorated major league minimum deal...
On the surface, it does not necessarily seem like an upgrade. But with Caps struggles recently and Fife's shoulder bursitis, Volquez is better than any other option we have available.
Plus he will be a perfect compliment in the bullpen in the playoffs.

Then looking at 2014, having someone like Volquez gives us a bunch of options during the spring

1. If Beckett cannot return, he can replace Beckett
2. If Billingsley cannot return, he can replace Bills
3. If the Dodgers cannot resign Nolasco, he can replace Nolasco
4. If all 3 are back, then he can either work out of the bullpen or can be traded for some prospects
5. He can also just not be brought back for 2014

So this looks like a low risk,high reward deal for the Dodgers so I am ok with it

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like this usually learn to love it pretty quickly at Dodger Stadium. I expect him to put up better numbers than he has in recent history with the Pads (which shouldn't be too hard to do).

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just hope for the best. He's demonstrated he has the skill set to pitch at the MLB level.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like this usually learn to love it pretty quickly at Dodger Stadium. I expect him to put up better numbers than he has in recent history with the Pads (which shouldn't be too hard to do).

Is Dodger Stadium any more pitcher friendly than Petco? Seems to me that the biggest issue for Volquez is walking too many hitters.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Dodger Stadium any more pitcher friendly than Petco? Seems to me that the biggest issue for Volquez is walking too many hitters.

You're right on that one, Chavez Ravine has a drastically lower rate of triples compared to Petco, other than that they are about the same.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just hope he throws strikes

S

sportswise1

Supposedly, he will replace Capuano in the rotation, which is a questionable move--even though Capuano has not done well recently.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tatum_channing_laughing_hysterically-1508.gif

besaesa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Volquez is he walks too many people. Hopefully Honeycutt can work with him and get him to throw strikes and he could be better than Cappy

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to tell you guys something that you're going to dismiss at and laugh about but I'm going to tell you anyway and one day soon you're going to realize that I was right.

The Padres have the best pitching coach in the league in Darren Balsley. Period. Darren Balsley gave up on Edinson Volquez for a reason.

Listen, if you guys need someone to go in long relief, garbage time or to make a spot start and need Edinson Volquez because no one in your system is qualified, you need to re-evaluate something. :2cents:

You're going to get tired of his antics on the mound, his disrespect of the game, his cap turned sideways, etc. by about Saturday afternoon.

I'm just delighted that the Padres are off the hook for the rest of his contract. That couldn't have worked out better.

besaesa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to tell you guys something that you're going to dismiss at and laugh about but I'm going to tell you anyway and one day soon you're going to realize that I was right.

The Padres have the best pitching coach in the league in Darren Balsley. Period. Darren Balsley gave up on Edinson Volquez for a reason.

Listen, if you guys need someone to go in long relief, garbage time or to make a spot start and need Edinson Volquez because no one in your system is qualified, you need to re-evaluate something. :2cents:

You're going to get tired of his antics on the mound, his disrespect of the game, his cap turned sideways, etc. by about Saturday afternoon.

I'm just delighted that the Padres are off the hook for the rest of his contract. That couldn't have worked out better.

Im not a huge fan of the Volquez signing but I just have to hope Honeycutt can turn him around. My issue was he walks too many and Petco was a pitchers park so I dont get how he struggled so bad there. Im assuming Dodger management is uncomfortable with Crapuano starting and wanted another option but it sounds like Volquez may or may not be much better.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always on the homer side when it comes to these signings, I always believe that these guys will turn it around for some reason. There's just something about that Dodger Blue I guess :suds:

It's hard not to feel confident about everything when your team is playing as well as the Dodgers have been.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always on the homer side when it comes to these signings, I always believe that these guys will turn it around for some reason. There's just something about that Dodger Blue I guess :suds:

It's hard not to feel confident about everything when your team is playing as well as the Dodgers have been.

As long as his better then Crapuano :ss: atleast i'm ok with the signing but we have to wait but yea i do agree coming to the blue crew makes you want to turn it around :agree:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's all hope he gets things turned around. Apparently he gets too amped up when he pitches and his mechanics break down. It will be up to Honeycutt to harness him and make the acquisition worthwhile.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand, Edinson was popular in the clubhouse so at least he has that going for him.

A change of scenery certainly can't hurt him but I sure hope he starts against the Padres.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope, the Padres are paying him lol

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Dodgers signed him to a minor league deal. They didn't claim him off of waivers.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was actually a Major League Deal, he could be active tonight

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Major League deal ensures he remains on the roster for the rest of the regular season, right? Gutsy!

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Volquez needs to start saturday & let his old team take it up the ass!! :finger: MUHAha!