• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles Free Agency & Draft 2020

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have a specific thread for this stuff, so I'll get one started ...

I'll start with WR ... which may be our biggest need. I know many people would like us to end up with Jets FA Robby Anderson, but I have a feeling he will end up getting over-paid (between 10-12 mil per year). I think a cheaper and possibly overlooked option in free agency will be Tampa FA Breshad Perriman. Perriman has always had the tools, but injuries and opportunities had limited his production until this past season when the Bucs lost Mike Evans then later Chris Godwin. Perriman stepped up in the final 5 game of the season and averaged over 100 yards per game with 5 TD's. The light turned on for this kid and most people didn't even see how good he was in those games! I live in the Tampa area and have adopted them as my redheaded step child to my Eagles :) While Anderson will get between 10-12 in free agency, we may be able to pluck Perriman for much less at around 5-7 per season. He's still just 26 years old and at 6'2" 215 lbs would be a really nice fit on the outside. All things being equal ... would I rather have Anderson? Probably ... but Perriman may end up the better value once you factor in cost. If we add Perriman and a 1st round WR (let's say Ruggs or Tee Higgins) to DJax and Ward it would give us a really nice group for Wentz to work with. Maybe throw in a mention for JJAW if he can turn it around in year 2.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have a specific thread for this stuff, so I'll get one started ...

I'll start with WR ... which may be our biggest need. I know many people would like us to end up with Jets FA Robby Anderson, but I have a feeling he will end up getting over-paid (between 10-12 mil per year). I think a cheaper and possibly overlooked option in free agency will be Tampa FA Breshad Perriman. Perriman has always had the tools, but injuries and opportunities had limited his production until this past season when the Bucs lost Mike Evans then later Chris Godwin. Perriman stepped up in the final 5 game of the season and averaged over 100 yards per game with 5 TD's. The light turned on for this kid and most people didn't even see how good he was in those games! I live in the Tampa area and have adopted them as my redheaded step child to my Eagles :) While Anderson will get between 10-12 in free agency, we may be able to pluck Perriman for much less at around 5-7 per season. He's still just 26 years old and at 6'2" 215 lbs would be a really nice fit on the outside. All things being equal ... would I rather have Anderson? Probably ... but Perriman may end up the better value once you factor in cost. If we add Perriman and a 1st round WR (let's say Ruggs or Tee Higgins) to DJax and Ward it would give us a really nice group for Wentz to work with. Maybe throw in a mention for JJAW if he can turn it around in year 2.

Yeah....I agree. All things aren’t equal between them. I like an idea like Perriman. There is risk with the past injuries. There is risk with the sample size at the end of last year. You’re also “in the area” to be able to keep up with the Bucs. They threw the ball a lot last year. And they threw it well (minus Jameis’ crazy amount of interceptions).

Still....I’ve never been crazy about Anderson. Crazy amazing talent....but he’s always felt tempestuous to me. I’ve seen many explain his up and downs as “well....it’s the Jets”....but I don’t really think that’s strictly the case. I think his effort can ebb and flow....and I would rather not have that on my team at 10-12 a year.

Perriman could be an example of a really smart gamble.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either is fine by me, but instead of Higgins, I want Laviska!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will "probably" list Shenault ahead of Higgins in my WR ranks when it's all said and done, but Higgins is a fantastic "overall" receiver after watching his tape. The negative on Higgins is his "expected" average straight line speed, but he gets top grades from me everywhere else. "Great" route runner who simply knows how to get open. Phenomenal body control, plucks the ball with his hands better than any other WR I scouted this year, high points the ball, does great in the YAC category and I even saw him make catches while "literally" running backwards. At 6'4" he will continue to be a top Red Zone threat in the pros (25 receiving TD's his past 2 years at Clemson). Shenault is no where near as polished as Higgins, but his tools are extremely impressive. His speed and agility for his size are amazing and he's extremely strong and hard to bring down. He likely won't have the impact in year one as a plug and play receiver like Higgins will, but Laviska's ceiling is incredible; that's why I will likely have him over Higgins in the end.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we nitpick over this guy or that one, bottom line is that any of the top 4 or 5 will be vastly improved over what we've had. Seems like Lamb is the consensus #1 WR. He'll probably go in the top picks. I don't think Howie should make several moves to go up and get him, since we defintely need 2 WRs; a CB; and a Safety; and depth at DT, DE, and a play making LB. Maybe Howie can get 2 or 3 of these in FA.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to add that the combine, which is later than this month (can't wait),will tell us more about players' speed, even though they run in short and track shoes. So, if Shenault runs a 4.3, I think he's our guy. Ruggs should run a 4.25, or so. If Higgins is 4.5 or higher - forget it as far as I'm concerned, because one thing we NEED is speed!

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to add that the combine, which is later than this month (can't wait),will tell us more about players' speed, even though they run in short and track shoes. So, if Shenault runs a 4.3, I think he's our guy. Ruggs should run a 4.25, or so. If Higgins is 4.5 or higher - forget it as far as I'm concerned, because one thing we NEED is speed!
Speed is great, but I think what's more important is how explosive the receiver can separate himself from the defender. I'll use Michael Thomas as an example, his 40 yard dash at combine was a 4.5. Not fast for a WR, but he's explosive getting off the ball and creates separation. And the obvious here is he has super glue hands and excelled as a route runner.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speed is great, but I think what's more important is how explosive the receiver can separate himself from the defender. I'll use Michael Thomas as an example, his 40 yard dash at combine was a 4.5. Not fast for a WR, but he's explosive getting off the ball and creates separation. And the obvious here is he has super glue hands and excelled as a route runner.
Getting separation is critical.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As bad as the WRs were last season we can't just focus our resources on that position. Our biggest needs are on the defensive side. WRs can be found in every round.

We need safeties. Maybe 3 of them.

We need a DT that will come into his prime as Cox retires.

We need a #1 corner.

Reactions: ctc

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats an excellent point. I’m a real Combine noob, so I will just ask, is there an activity in the combine that would show separation speed? Or is it just in the tape.

And if it’s in the tape does it show with Higgins to anyone?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s my challenge most of all with Higgins....we just drafted a tall heir apparent to Jeffrey with a very high pick last year. We saw what we saw. But is drafting a player like Higgins a sign that we are already moving on from JJAW?

In my mind the best WR corp for Carson has a tall possession type guy that can work the route tree, get separation and high point well; as well as a speed guy and shifty slot (which I will just call Ward at this point).

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats an excellent point. I’m a real Combine noob, so I will just ask, is there an activity in the combine that would show separation speed? Or is it just in the tape.

I think watching the tape shows a lot more than say combine because with the combine, the guys are in shorts and tank tops, whereas, film shows everything.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I focus on the 40 and the gauntlet.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah how many times have we heard over the years one of these tv guys calling an Eagles game and saying the receiver can't create separation, or guys even bring it up on here.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started watching some film other positions ... I really like this TCU Corner Jeff Gladney. Maybe as early as Rd 2. I haven't really gotten into where guys are slated to go yet ... I just write about guys that stand out. Hard to tell prior to the Combine and Pro Days.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him, but he is on the smallish side. He does have blazing speed, which is great. I don't know what kind of tackler he is, given his small frame.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some reports going around that the Chiefs will cut Sammy Watkins sometime before the draft to create cap space... I'm interested if he's available.

This and draft WR in Rd 1, I'm leaning towards speed, so Shenault or Ruggs are the guys to watch.

We need speed across the board - not only at WR but on the back end of the defense as well (LBs and DBs).

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi Manny! Who is Eleanor Tomlinson, your mother? Ha! I think you'd like to check out Shenault. He is built like, and runs like, a RB, and is faster than Higgins, Lamb, and is a step behind of Ruggs, and probably has better hands than Ruggs. I love this guy! Like you, I don't want Higgins.

Eagles podcast potpourri: Thoughts on coaching staff, wide receiver prospects, All Or Nothing, Super Bowl LIV, more
Duke,this is Elinore Tomlinson. Who would you rather have?

OIP.TO4XH0ESxuMmZPJMpv9gTwHaKw