• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dustin Byfuglien....would ya?

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two different place reporting that the Flyers are still in the chase for Buff and that they have the prospects it may be necessary to make this deal.

Um....I thought Homer was no longer the GM. If they can get Buff in a reasonable hockey deal then yeah, I might pursue it but not at the expense of a lot of youth.

For example: B Schenn and L Schenn and ....a conditional pick based on the Flyers ability to resign Buff.
Not going to work because the Jets will want more and could get more.

Streit (salary), L Schenn and two pick (one conditional).
Might work, would help the Flyers cap this year and a little bit next year...but still not sure it would be enough.

Streit or MacD, Haag, Cousins or Laughton and two picks (one conditional).
Now we are getting closer to what may be in play. The Flyers would HAVE to clear not just salary from this year but at least next or even further to bring in Buff. If you want one of the Flyers defensive prospects you are going to have to take on salary as well. The forward prospect and the picks would just be the icing on the deal cake.

I don't know that I would even make the ultra cheap version of this deal. That is jut me. We would still have to sign Byfuglien and that would mean a ton of cap money and term tied up. The Flyers still have to work on Jake's contract extension as well. That will mean another big hit in term and cap. Given Buff is right handed, mobile, hits like a train and plays a game that on paper should translate well to Hakstol's college system, he will still command a ton of money. Do you trade prospects for instant cap issues.

Now, if the deal was going to be something pie in the sky and stupid on the Jets part:

MacD, Umberger and Gudas for Buff w/no picks involved. I will be on board.

But no one is going to make that trade. And unless Hextall can make the deal without having to trade away youth I don't know that I would....Would Ya?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would stay put

Buff is a good player and can be a game changer when he wants to be, but the Flyers don't need to make any big trades at this point - they have to see what they have in their current group and under a first year coach, I think they're going to have the competition from within

Look at it like Chip Kelly in his first year with the Eagles - they signed some free agents to improve their team but overall, they had a lot of the same players from the previous regime - then after the first season, then that's when they started the purge and started bringing in their own players - that's what it might be like for the Flyers, they'll have to stay put for now but maybe after a season with this group and Dave Hakstol, then you might see more maneuvering

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two different place reporting that the Flyers are still in the chase for Buff and that they have the prospects it may be necessary to make this deal.

Um....I thought Homer was no longer the GM. If they can get Buff in a reasonable hockey deal then yeah, I might pursue it but not at the expense of a lot of youth.

For example: B Schenn and L Schenn and ....a conditional pick based on the Flyers ability to resign Buff.
Not going to work because the Jets will want more and could get more.

Streit (salary), L Schenn and two pick (one conditional).
Might work, would help the Flyers cap this year and a little bit next year...but still not sure it would be enough.

Streit or MacD, Haag, Cousins or Laughton and two picks (one conditional).
Now we are getting closer to what may be in play. The Flyers would HAVE to clear not just salary from this year but at least next or even further to bring in Buff. If you want one of the Flyers defensive prospects you are going to have to take on salary as well. The forward prospect and the picks would just be the icing on the deal cake.

I don't know that I would even make the ultra cheap version of this deal. That is jut me. We would still have to sign Byfuglien and that would mean a ton of cap money and term tied up. The Flyers still have to work on Jake's contract extension as well. That will mean another big hit in term and cap. Given Buff is right handed, mobile, hits like a train and plays a game that on paper should translate well to Hakstol's college system, he will still command a ton of money. Do you trade prospects for instant cap issues.

Now, if the deal was going to be something pie in the sky and stupid on the Jets part:

MacD, Umberger and Gudas for Buff w/no picks involved. I will be on board.

But no one is going to make that trade. And unless Hextall can make the deal without having to trade away youth I don't know that I would....Would Ya?
If we were going to trade for a stud defenseman using either youth or picks I would rather go for Shattenkirk than Buff but I don't see us doing either.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I also don't believe for a second the Flyers are still interested. Nothing about Buff makes any sense for the Flyers. Giving up youth to acquire age. Adding another d-man. Giving up the future to try to win now. None of that fits with what Hextall has said and done.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would only even remotely consider it if MacDonald was part of the deal. Since Buff is only signed for one more year, it might be worth a prospect to get rid of MacDonald's contract.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would only even remotely consider it if MacDonald was part of the deal. Since Buff is only signed for one more year, it might be worth a prospect to get rid of MacDonald's contract.

I still cant believe we have MacDonald's contract for 5 more years SMH!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, I wouldn't get rid of anything just to get rid of McDonald's contract. Definitely not one of the better prospects (Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Ghost, Hagg, Aube-Kubel, Konecny, all count).

He's overpaid at 5 mil, but he's not abysmal. And 5 mil isn't crushing. If his contract is 3 mil instead, it's no big deal at all. I'm willing to throw away 2 mil for 5 years to keep the above. He's just a really overpaid, but solid, 3rd pair dman.

Have to keep it in perspective, the 2nd pairing guys these days are signing for 4-5 mil easy. So you're paying 2nd pair money for a 3rd pair guy, it's not that bad.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, it would not be

If you sign Buff to an extension, you eat up more of the cap right away and you defeat the purpose of a cap dump plus you get rid of a real good prospect, something the Flyers are trying to get more of now

It's pointless to do something like that - the hope is that A-Mac gets utilized way better this time around and it makes him look better and then if some team really wants him at some point, you can do something more feasible

It's hard to make trades when you haven't seen what the young guys have done yet - it's like cheating at the start line of a marathon just because you assumed that they were going to blow the whistle at a certain point - it's the same thing here - you can't assume that these prospects aren't going to turn into real good players when you haven't given them the opportunity - you can't make big trades every year, eventually you empty the cupboard at some point when you continue to do that

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, I wouldn't get rid of anything just to get rid of McDonald's contract. Definitely not one of the better prospects (Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Ghost, Hagg, Aube-Kubel, Konecny, all count).

He's overpaid at 5 mil, but he's not abysmal. And 5 mil isn't crushing. If his contract is 3 mil instead, it's no big deal at all. I'm willing to throw away 2 mil for 5 years to keep the above. He's just a really overpaid, but solid, 3rd pair dman.

Have to keep it in perspective, the 2nd pairing guys these days are signing for 4-5 mil easy. So you're paying 2nd pair money for a 3rd pair guy, it's not that bad.

This season coming up is a cleanse for this team - all the guys who were supposedly in the doghouse this past season will have an opportunity to get in the good graces of a new coach - if they do what is necessary to be in the good graces then it will help their cause and the team's cause, even if they're not around for the long haul - if not then they will be thrown out the door - just like with the Eagles and Chip Kelly when he first started - either you get with the program or the program kicks your ass out the door

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyway you look at that contract its terrible at 5 mill for 5 more years unless he starts playing a lot better

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway you look at that contract its terrible at 5 mill for 5 more years unless he starts playing a lot better

It's also going to look better as the cap goes up and dmen start making more and more money. That's why I'm not too concerned about it. Two or three years ago 5 mil was top guy money, today it takes 9 mil+ to sign top guys. That trend will continue for the next 5 years and MacDonald's hit will look better and better, regardless of what he does on the ice.

I'd take Maconald at 5 for 5, over Buff for 7ish for 7ish. And I'd do it over and over and over again.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season coming up is a cleanse for this team - all the guys who were supposedly in the doghouse this past season will have an opportunity to get in the good graces of a new coach - if they do what is necessary to be in the good graces then it will help their cause and the team's cause, even if they're not around for the long haul - if not then they will be thrown out the door - just like with the Eagles and Chip Kelly when he first started - either you get with the program or the program kicks your ass out the door

That "cleanse" B.S. we're hearing is just the fallback position because they weren't able to trade guys like LeCavalier, MacDonald or Umberger. What other choice do they have at this point? They have to make the best of what Holmgren left them, and hoping one or more of them rebound is their only move right now.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Maconald at 5 for 5, over Buff for 7ish for 7ish. And I'd do it over and over and over again.

Agreed, but what WOULD you be willing to pay to get rid of MacDonald's contract? I was not suggesting that Buff would automatically be re-signed.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That "cleanse" B.S. we're hearing is just the fallback position because they weren't able to trade guys like LeCavalier, MacDonald or Umberger. What other choice do they have at this point? They have to make the best of what Holmgren left them, and hoping one or more of them rebound is their only move right now.

With Vinny and RJ, yeah I know they're trying to move them if they can but if they're still here, they have to find a way to make it work

A-Mac is a "cleanse" situation and everyone knows it - when you get more depth on the team, he won't be counted on as often and might actually be better for a change

And maybe with a new coach, that coach can actually get those guys to play better - coaches can make a difference, positively and negatively

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also going to look better as the cap goes up and dmen start making more and more money. That's why I'm not too concerned about it. Two or three years ago 5 mil was top guy money, today it takes 9 mil+ to sign top guys. That trend will continue for the next 5 years and MacDonald's hit will look better and better, regardless of what he does on the ice.

We don't know that Buff would get 7 for 7 but we do know that Mac has gotten 5 for 5. No way would I ever sign Buff to 7 for 7 and give away one of our prospects to get him . He can go eat a crave case instead.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stay the path and build from within. If we are going to make a trade, trade roster players instead of kids. I'd rather pay a premium for a younger Shattenkirk that go after Byfuglien.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team should stay the course Buff won't win them a cup. Heck he's not half as good as Pronger was and most people didn't like that trade...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team should stay the course Buff won't win them a cup. Heck he's not half as good as Pronger was and most people didn't like that trade...

The only logical reason that anyone wouldn't like the Chris Pronger deal was due to the fact his contract got stuck for years without him actually playing - there's no way that what they gave up to get him would be considered a bad deal - Joffrey Lupul still doesn't stay healthy, Luca Sbisa is a third pairing d-man and Kyle Palmieri(Ducks took him with one of the picks the Flyers gave them) was traded to NJ for a second rounder - the Flyers robbed the Ducks blind in that deal