• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Durty Sanchez traded to the Rockies

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YES! Who said we needed to upgrade our offense. The Rockies are going to let us keep their lineup and throw bad pitchers out there

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YES! Who said we needed to upgrade our offense. The Rockies are going to let us keep their lineup and throw bad pitchers out there

If Chez pitches against us, we may not do as well as you'd think. His problem as a pitcher is losing focus when he gets a little rattled, walking guys, etc.

Well with our hacktastic crew, we'd bail him out of every jam with 2 FPOMs per inning.

We DO need to upgrade the offense, we need a mashing corner outfielder or 1B who can take a pitch or two. Problem is there's really no one out there available.

Quentin, who we should make priority #1 in the offseason, would be technically a Beltran type rental and Sabean already said nope. Also does SD deal in the division?

I can't really think of anyone else realistically available in this sellers market.

Hate to say it but the team we got is who we are going to war with vs the Dodgers, who will be adding Dempster and likely a bat as well. It's going to go down to the wire. I guess we have a pretty good shot at a wild card spot but that's a huge gamble.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chez pitches against us, we may not do as well as you'd think. His problem as a pitcher is losing focus when he gets a little rattled, walking guys, etc.

Well with our hacktastic crew, we'd bail him out of every jam with 2 FPOMs per inning.

We DO need to upgrade the offense, we need a mashing corner outfielder or 1B who can take a pitch or two. Problem is there's really no one out there available.

Quentin, who we should make priority #1 in the offseason, would be technically a Beltran type rental and Sabean already said nope. Also does SD deal in the division?

I can't really think of anyone else realistically available in this sellers market.

Hate to say it but the team we got is who we are going to war with vs the Dodgers, who will be adding Dempster and likely a bat as well. It's going to go down to the wire. I guess we have a pretty good shot at a wild card spot but that's a huge gamble.

Hahahahaha. 2.5 games up in the Division. Yes, it will be close. It's always close. That is why they play 162 (should be 154 or less) games. By the way, Belt takes a lot of pitches. I have no problem with him being a hacker every once in awhile. He understands the strike zone better than most of the guys in the Giants' line-up not named Buster. The bullpen will be solidified and Kepp (or someone like him) might be back. With some health, that is all they need to take the division even if the Dodgers get Dempster and Victorino.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahahaha. 2.5 games up in the Division. Yes, it will be close. It's always close. That is why they play 162 (should be 154 or less) games. By the way, Belt takes a lot of pitches. I have no problem with him being a hacker every once in awhile. He understands the strike zone better than most of the guys in the Giants' line-up not named Buster. The bullpen will be solidified and Kepp (or someone like him) might be back. With some health, that is all they need to take the division even if the Dodgers get Dempster and Victorino.

Agreed Belt takes a pitch or two, but is the mashing going to show up?

I do agree we don't need much if Timmy can just be a decent (doesn't have to be great) pitcher the rest of the way. His last start was his best of the year, tonight we'll see if he keeps it going.

Subject change: have we on the board 'decided' yet if he's maybe pitching with some kind of injury? He just had his best game after a huge break, maybe he simply needs more time between starts (6 man rotation?) or to skip a start or two? Maybe he's less willing to admit to being hurt because it casts aspersion on his unusual training regimen.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the same team that's leading the division? What's wrong with that?

I do think Sabey Sabes will make moves before the stretch run though.

I'm still puzzled on how optimistic you remain about the Dogs chances. They wasted their ridiculous start.
Kemp is one more pop from his hammies to being shut down for the year. Harang and Bills have come back down to earth and Kershaw isn't the same Cy Young stud he was last year.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed Belt takes a pitch or two, but is the mashing going to show up?

I do agree we don't need much if Timmy can just be a decent (doesn't have to be great) pitcher the rest of the way. His last start was his best of the year, tonight we'll see if he keeps it going.

Subject change: have we on the board 'decided' yet if he's maybe pitching with some kind of injury? He just had his best game after a huge break, maybe he simply needs more time between starts (6 man rotation?) or to skip a start or two? Maybe he's less willing to admit to being hurt because it casts aspersion on his unusual training regimen.

I have no idea about injuries, and you're right, tonight will be very telling. He could just be over-worked like Casilla (or K-Cya could be injured for all I know). Either way, Santiago's dip in velocity (which has led to a lack of movement on his 2-seamer) scares me more than Timmy's.

I'm sure the org is willing to try anything. A hybrid six-man rotation might not be a bad idea. Obviously, MadBum, Cainer, Voges and, maybe even Zito don't need the extra day, so some juggling might be a good idea for late July and August (Pitching Penny instead of Lincecum on extremely hot days, for example). Penny still has a lot of zip to his fastball, but that might just make him a slightly better version of Mota. Either way, I will be watching intently tonight. If Timmy has another good outing, we can start getting excited again (as if 5-1 so far in the second half isn't exciting enough).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the same team that's leading the division? What's wrong with that?

I do think Sabey Sabes will make moves before the stretch run though.

I'm still puzzled on how optimistic you remain about the Dogs chances. They wasted their ridiculous start.
Kemp is one more pop from his hammies to being shut down for the year. Harang and Bills have come back down to earth and Kershaw isn't the same Cy Young stud he was last year.

Every player is one injury away from being done for the year. I agree if Kemp goes down we coast to the division title. But that's wishful thinking. He's back now and already single handedly winning games for them. Kershaw is still an elite ace (2.74 ERA, 1.05 WHIP). Billingsley is about to be replaced by Dempster.

I still think we're a bit better (we have problems too, like a shaky back end of the rotation and closer, a hole at 1B again, complete lack of HR power), but it's IMO way too pollyanna to dismiss the Dodgers chances (after they reload especially).
Even Arizona could still be a factor but I'm less and less concerned there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player is one injury away from being done for the year. I agree if Kemp goes down we coast to the division title. But that's wishful thinking. He's back now and already single handedly winning games for them. Kershaw is still an elite ace (2.74 ERA, 1.05 WHIP). Billingsley is about to be replaced by Dempster.

I still think we're a bit better (we have problems too, like a shaky back end of the rotation, a hole at 1B again, complete lack of HR power), but it's IMO way too pollyanna to dismiss the Dodgers chances (after they reload especially).

Yeah. The Upton rumors and a more difficult schedule for LA are really helping the Giants' chances. Always nice to not need help, though, and after July 31st, I (without orange-tinted glasses) believe SF will be in a good position to maintain their lead. It'll be fun. They don't call them the Dog Days for nothing.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got Guthrie? Wow, I know he's having a bad year, but it just goes to show that someone will always buy a lefty with stuff.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn it, I left Disney to get away from FUD like this. Cmon, man, you're BETTER than Nolan. :rain::rain:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn it, I left Disney to get away from FUD like this. Cmon, man, you're BETTER than Nolan. :rain::rain:

Oh shit, it's the FUD police! :mod:

I know your shtick is to swoop down Taliban-style on any concerned or pessimistic takes posted here. I think LA is a threat, and being the wild card, while better than not being it, is far far worse than winning the division for obvious and brand new reasons. You don't apparently. That's all good, it's a free country.

Please note I wasn't saying it's a gamble that we'd make the wild card, I think that's almost a lock. I think the wild card ITSELF is newly a very 'risky' way to get to the playoffs. We gotta win the West IMO unless we want to be just happy to be there...even if we win the playin game we burn one of our best pitchers, etc.

But if simply respecting the Dodger threat gets me called a Nolan-y FUD-meister, when it's obvious to the less uptight that I'm nothing like that...well, I've been called far worse by far better people. :wink:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh shit, it's the FUD police! :mod:

I know your shtick is to swoop down Taliban-style on any concerned or pessimistic takes posted here. I think LA is a threat, and being the wild card, while better than not being it, is far far worse than winning the division for obvious and brand new reasons. You don't apparently. That's all good, it's a free country.

Please note I wasn't saying it's a gamble that we'd make the wild card, I think that's almost a lock. I think the wild card ITSELF is newly a very 'risky' way to get to the playoffs. We gotta win the West IMO unless we want to be just happy to be there...even if we win the playin game we burn one of our best pitchers, etc.

But if simply respecting the Dodger threat gets me called a Nolan-y FUD-meister, when it's obvious to the less uptight that I'm nothing like that...well, I've been called far worse by far better people. :wink:

"Apparently???" to WHOM? How the eff did you get this from what I posted???

Second, re-read your OP, you DID say that it's a gamble we'd get the WC. That's what you wrote. It may not be what you meant, but it's what you wrote. As I've not developed my internet Sookie Stackhouse mind reading skills yet, I can only go by what you actually wrote. Now that you've clarified it, we are all good. But I think you can see that what you originally wrote, with a plain language reading, was FUD.

Please also appreciate the distinction between pantshattery (which I also succumb to on almost every GDT) and FUD.

So, to be clear: I am not against you (or anyone else who is a regular poster) making negative comments. That's all good and part of the give and take here. I AM against FUD, which in this case wasn't intended as FUD but was communicated as such by accident. I AM ALSO against interloping trolls who spew here from time to time (like Ghost or Ugg) and have little to no respect for our community. Phuck those guys.

:director:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Apparently???" to WHOM? How the eff did you get this from what I posted???

Second, re-read your OP, you DID say that it's a gamble we'd get the WC. That's what you wrote. It may not be what you meant, but it's what you wrote. As I've not developed my internet Sookie Stackhouse mind reading skills yet, I can only go by what you actually wrote. Now that you've clarified it, we are all good. But I think you can see that what you originally wrote, with a plain language reading, was FUD.

Please also appreciate the distinction between pantshattery (which I also succumb to on almost every GDT) and FUD.

So, to be clear: I am not against you (or anyone else who is a regular poster) making negative comments. That's all good and part of the give and take here. I AM against FUD, which in this case wasn't intended as FUD but was communicated as such by accident. I AM ALSO against interloping trolls who spew here from time to time (like Ghost or Ugg) and have little to no respect for our community. Phuck those guys.

:director:

Well that's a fair point, I was ambiguous which is why I clarified. And yes someone who looks at this team and the rest of the NL and thinks it's a long shot we'd even get a wildcard spot is being FUD-y.

And while it's anyone's right to feel that way and to post that way, it's other posters' right to disagree/tease/rebut, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still think we're a bit better (we have problems too, like a shaky back end of the rotation and closer, a hole at 1B again, complete lack of HR power), but it's IMO way too pollyanna to dismiss the Dodgers chances (after they reload especially).

I think while injuries can be crippling, the Giants have shown to be better equipped to handle injuries to major players.

Sure, Kemp is back. But his injury is one which he has already re-aggravated this season. Whether its holds up the rest of season remains to be seen but IF it flares up again, that lineup crumbles.

Yeah, Kemp won a game by himself. What happened the other games on their home stand? Nearly swept by the Phils and lost 2 of 3 to the Pads. Not very encouraging if you are a dog fan.

You're more than welcome to make your claims, I was just surprised that their recent string of games haven't influenced you.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think while injuries can be crippling, the Giants have shown to be better equipped to handle injuries to major players.

Sure, Kemp is back. But his injury is one which he has already re-aggravated this season. Whether its holds up the rest of season remains to be seen but IF it flares up again, that lineup crumbles.

Yeah, Kemp won a game by himself. What happened the other games on their home stand? Nearly swept by the Phils and lost 2 of 3 to the Pads. Not very encouraging if you are a dog fan.

You're more than welcome to make your claims, I was just surprised that their recent string of games haven't influenced you.

- Depends on who gets injured. Where the Giants have depth (bullpen) they handle injuries pretty well. But we all saw what happened to the team without Posey last year. I'd say if he somehow went down again, or Melky, we're completely screwed.

- Hey I hope Kemp does exactly that, reaggravates it. Or better yet I hope he gets back with Rihanna and decides to elope and take August and September off for a honeymoon

- We did pass the Dogs up, like we needed to, with Kemp and Ethier out. Good! They're back now, and they are going to get another starting pitcher and another starting bat. We probably aren't getting much of anything except maybe a bench bat or middle reliever.

I guess it's too convenient for me to just ignore the other teams and assume we coast to the division title. My own natural pessimism, baseball is about failure, yadda yadda. YMMV.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Depends on who gets injured. Where the Giants have depth (bullpen) they handle injuries pretty well. But we all saw what happened to the team without Posey last year. I'd say if he somehow went down again, or Melky, we're completely screwed.

- Hey I hope Kemp does exactly that, reaggravates it. Or better yet I hope he gets back with Rihanna and decides to elope and take August and September off for a honeymoon

- We did pass the Dogs up, like we needed to, with Kemp and Ethier out. Good! They're back now, and they are going to get another starting pitcher and another starting bat. We probably aren't getting much of anything except maybe a bench bat or middle reliever.

I guess it's too convenient for me to just ignore the other teams and assume we coast to the division title. My own natural pessimism, baseball is about failure, yadda yadda. YMMV.

Don't disagree with much of this (except the 2012 Giants lineup is vastly different than last year's, with or without Posey)
Even with Kemp and Ethier in there, the reason the dogs are targeting the bigger names is because they have the bigger holes to fill.

The Giants have to fix their own problems before even thinking this is over, the fun's just getting started. Over the course of a season, the better team usually reveals itself.

IMO, a negative comment is just an opinion but FUD is an agenda. Big difference.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest mid-season move the Giants can make is trading Bad Lincecum for The Freak.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest mid-season move the Giants can make is trading Bad Lincecum for The Freak.

+ a googol, rep if I can

Man, if Tim is truly back, and he doesn't have to be an ace just back as a legit starter, if he's here now, it's done, Dodgers can't do shit we win.

What a great stepping stone win, on the road, hitters park, Tim hitting 93 on the gun late, Crawford turning into Uribe with the bat (random clutchness) but giving 100x the defense...

Another nice pickup might be this kid to play 1B Brandon Belt...if he shows up, look out above.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+ a googol, rep if I can

Man, if Tim is truly back, and he doesn't have to be an ace just back as a legit starter, if he's here now, it's done, Dodgers can't do shit we win.

What a great stepping stone win, on the road, hitters park, Tim hitting 93 on the gun late, Crawford turning into Uribe with the bat (random clutchness) but giving 100x the defense...

Another nice pickup might be this kid to play 1B Brandon Belt...if he shows up, look out above.

thx msg

One caveat on Timmy. His status is as reliable as his last start. Almost have to take a Durty approach to his starts, bracing for a meltdown inning

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree with much of this (except the 2012 Giants lineup is vastly different than last year's, with or without Posey)
Even with Kemp and Ethier in there, the reason the dogs are targeting the bigger names is because they have the bigger holes to fill.

The Giants have to fix their own problems before even thinking this is over, the fun's just getting started. Over the course of a season, the better team usually reveals itself.

IMO, a negative comment is just an opinion but FUD is an agenda. Big difference.

:nod: :nod:

Repped for awesome brevity