• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Dubs @ POR 11/2/14

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bogut could correctly handle the issue of then getting the ball to Curry, that would be fine. Also, it's not like Bogut is on a fast break leading the team like it could happen with some of the others. These are situations when Bogot gets the rebound, and maybe Curry doesn't do a good enough job of shaking his man so that he can get the ball to bring it up the court. Maybe it's because Curry was not a point guard in college, so it wasn't his responsibility to do what PGs do so that they can bring the ball up court. It doesn't seem to take too much of a concerted effort on the part of the opposing team to make Curry give up on getting the ball in the back court, and then the two of them are faced with having to make this funky exchange once Bogut reaches the top of the key. It happens about twice a game. I know that others have noticed the awkwardness of it, maybe you haven't.
No more awkward or more frequent than the occasional tight exchanges that take place throughout a leaugue that plays defense like no other on the planet.

Much ado about nothing. Bogut and the other bigs will continue to bring the ball up the court when appropriate, and they'll do so with their coach's blessing.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more awkward or more frequent than the occasional tight exchanges that take place throughout a leaugue that plays defense like no other on the planet.

Much ado about nothing. Bogut and the other bigs will continue to bring the ball up the court when appropriate, and they'll do so with their coach's blessing.

It's a pet peeve of mine, and it will change. There's no way that any coach could "bless" this severely awkward exchange that happens too often. And, it will have to change. It's resulting in turnovers and in the Dubs having to force up shots because they can't get into their offense quickly enough.

As for the post above yours, I certainly realize that there are more important issues facing the Dubs, like with AI9, HB, etc. However, those are situations that will take time to work themselves out. What I'm talking about is someone actually speaking up to Curry and Bogut about these situations occurring and how they can avoid them. I'm not bringing this up as though this is the biggest problem facing GS. It is just a problem that has the simplest solution. It just needs to be addressed. It could be a matter of Curry learning to rub his man off of Bogut and then grabbing the call from Bogut. I do think that some of it is Curry's having to learn how to be a point guard in the NBA. It's not natural to him to be the guy bringing the ball up the court, though he does it fine. But, he doesn't have the learned behavior of a long-time point guard (see Chris Paul) to know how to handle every situation that point guards face.

I'm really not trying to convince anyone to come onto my side of this issue. I know that it's real. I have a high basketball IQ and have played and watched the game for years. I'll gladly agree to drop the issue if you all want to.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a pet peeve of mine, and it will change. There's no way that any coach could "bless" this severely awkward exchange that happens too often. And, it will have to change. It's resulting in turnovers and in the Dubs having to force up shots because they can't get into their offense quickly enough.

As for the post above yours, I certainly realize that there are more important issues facing the Dubs, like with AI9, HB, etc. However, those are situations that will take time to work themselves out. What I'm talking about is someone actually speaking up to Curry and Bogut about these situations occurring and how they can avoid them. I'm not bringing this up as though this is the biggest problem facing GS. It is just a problem that has the simplest solution. It just needs to be addressed. It could be a matter of Curry learning to rub his man off of Bogut and then grabbing the call from Bogut. I do think that some of it is Curry's having to learn how to be a point guard in the NBA. It's not natural to him to be the guy bringing the ball up the court, though he does it fine. But, he doesn't have the learned behavior of a long-time point guard (see Chris Paul) to know how to handle every situation that point guards face.

I'm really not trying to convince anyone to come onto my side of this issue. I know that it's real. I have a high basketball IQ and have played and watched the game for years. I'll gladly agree to drop the issue if you all want to.
Of course you're trying to convince us; that's the nature of an internet forum. You may want to refrain from the self qualification, though. We all fancy ourselves as knowledgeable observers of the game, so you're really only as smart as what you bring to the table here, regardless of your qualifications.

Perhaps you are focused on a key moment at crunch time in Portland when indeed that hand off/short pass from Bogut to Curry went wrong. That was in the flow of the half court offense and not as a result the big fella bringing the ball up.

As for the exchange between Bogut and Curry that occasionally goes wrong, this is The Association, and sometimes good defense prevails or a bad pass is made. Again, the bigs will continue to pick their spots to push the ball, and they will do so with Kerr's blessing.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I personally have liked what you've brought to this forum, but argue your points solidly instead of just telling people you know more than them. You should never have to prove yourself by declaring yourself having a high basketball IQ. If you have to use that, then you're not addressing your stance well enough. I've played basketball (organized, middle school, high school) and also coached high school basketball, but you don't hear me out here saying "listen to me, I know more than you".

Two, the awkward exchange you see between Bogut and Curry is the EXACT same one you see between Duncan and Parker all time on the Spurs. The difference is that Bogut and Curry have been running this for two months, while Duncan and Parker have been running it for 10 years. It takes time to develop that sort of chemistry, which a person with a high basketball IQ should know.

Three, you aren't seeing the full offense yet either. The team is still going through practices and will be adding and subtracting to things all the time. It's not as if Kerr has just tweaked a system that was in place. He has put in a brand new system based on movement. As a former player, I would think you would know how important timing would be towards the functionality of an offense.

Fourth, having the bigs like Bogut, Lee and Green(who are all plus handlers), bring up the ball saves precious seconds on the shot clock. Doing so helps with a few things. First it helps with creating secondary fast breaks. It allows the Warriors to get up a good shot before the defense is completely set. Two, it helps the Warriors to initiate the offense, where the ball is often thrown to the high post first. Three, in a movement based system, you're often using high portions of a shot clock. You want as much time on there as possible to allow for maximum efficiency. If they have to wait 6 seconds for Curry just to get the ball in the back court, just to give it back to Bogut or Lee or Green, you can see how that gets a bit redundant. As long as the turnovers are kept to a minimum, it's a viable option.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure he is, but someone needs to tell him he's not a guard and he and Curry need to get this silly little thing where Bogut is trying to get the ball to Curry in the frontcourt and Curry literally runs circles around Bogut in an effort to try and get the ball from him. Simple communication is all that's needed. They eat up the 24 second clock playing this silly game.

They are 3 and oh, ya know.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, fellas. Here goes. First of all, stating that I have a high basketball IQ is not the same as stating that any of you does not. As a fairly newbie here, I don't think that anyone has agreed with me yet, though I could be wrong. So, I did feel it was necessary to let you know that while I'm a newbie to the website, I'm not a newbie to b-ball.

And, no, I'm not dead set on convincing you guys about the Bogut to Curry awkward exchange. I live around people who are 180 degrees different from me regarding politics and I participate on forums about politics very often. There is one person who comes by occasionally who comes by every now and then who agrees with me. Other than that, it's me against basically everyone. I say this to simply support the idea that I don't mind going it alone if I have to on my opinions.

Finally, this is not their first year together as someone seemed to indicate. It happened a lot last year as well. It doesn't happen to anyone else who brings up the ball other than Bogut. Again, there is a way to use one's body to set a pick (while holding the ball), which is Bogut's responsibility, and there is a way to rub your man off of a pick, which is Curry's responsibility. Luckily, it did not happen last night and this should eventually go away in time as it's just not the way to handle bringing the ball up the court. I watch a decent amount of games, and I never see any centers bring the ball up the court. I do agree with why others sometimes bring it up, to lessen the load off of Curry.

I do have to admit, though, that when Bogut started to bring the ball up in the Clipper game tonight, he threw an almost full-court two-handed pass to someone for an easy layup. I was surprised. It was as good as a Curry full-court pass.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have to admit, though, that when Bogut started to bring the ball up in the Clipper game tonight, he threw an almost full-court two-handed pass to someone for an easy layup. I was surprised. It was as good as a Curry full-court pass.

Bogut is an elite passing big man. He's not Sabonis or Divac, but he's pretty damn close. Which is why I think you got so much push back. If there's an exchange where the team needs to slow the game down, play possession basketball, then sure... hand it off in the back court. Otherwise, Kerr wants this team pushing the ball up court. Bogut has the ability to find a cutter if it's there in the chaos that ensues when a big man is pushing the ball. Let's give it a chance. This team is going to be scary good if they can stay healthy.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogut is an elite passing big man. He's not Sabonis or Divac, but he's pretty damn close. Which is why I think you got so much push back. If there's an exchange where the team needs to slow the game down, play possession basketball, then sure... hand it off in the back court. Otherwise, Kerr wants this team pushing the ball up court. Bogut has the ability to find a cutter if it's there in the chaos that ensues when a big man is pushing the ball. Let's give it a chance. This team is going to be scary good if they can stay healthy.

FYI
Kerr: "Bogut was made for dribble handoffs. He's like a modern day Arvydas Sabonis"