• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Driving with two feet could be safer than one.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. But......Acccording to some "experts"....

When we learn to drive, we're all taught to use the right foot for both the brake and gas pedals. But what if it's actually safer to use two feet?

A handful of experts, such as retired UCLA psychologist and ergonomics researcher Richard A. Schmidt, believe using two feet can solve a big problem: crashes that happen when a driver accidentally hits the gas pedal instead of the brake. Schmidt says these crashes are far more common than most of us realize — and the government estimates there are about 16,000 of them per year.

However, pedal error is a surprisingly controversial topic, and others say that many of these crashes actually result from cars' defective electronic systems and sticky gas pedals. But the bottom line is that this sort of error does cause at least some crashes. Schmidt and others argue that two foot driving could be a solution.

Why some experts think driving with two feet could be safer than one

It's an opinion piece, but there are some things to think about in the article located at the link.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll read it later but 2 things immediately come to mind:
1) If you get confused and hit the gas when you want to hit the brake, then nothing is going to help stupid.
2) I've used 2 feet forever. Started when street racing. You know, power brake your start. Then started doing it so as to get faster reaction times in emergency braking. No travel time for your right foot to get to the brake pedel. Just don't be like some people who ride their brakes all the time and have them on when driving and wear them out in 7k miles and shit.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) If you get confused and hit the gas when you want to hit the brake, then nothing is going to help stupid.
2) I've used 2 feet forever. Started when street racing. You know, power brake your start. Then started doing it so as to get faster reaction times in emergency braking. No travel time for your right foot to get to the brake pedel. Just don't be like some people who ride their brakes all the time and have them on when driving and wear them out in 7k miles and shit.

I hear ya. To each his own I guess. I see a few people driving down the road with their brake lights on and know they are resting their left foot on the brake.

I grew up on standard transmissions and there's no way for me to change at this point.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I'll need a third foot for the clutch

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here on all points. That and right foot braking is boring, much more engaging to trail brake corner in an automatic with the left foot.
Maximum braking should be at the beginning of the curve, maximum cornering at the apex and maximum acceleration at the end. The transition from maximum braking to maximum cornering should be smooth and linear as should the tarnsition from cornering to accelerating. It is show much easier to transition from braking to cornering to accelerating with two feet.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^
This. I hold a CDL-A license with all endorsements and I have a part time job as a test driver for Nissan here in Maricopa, Arizona at the North American Proving Grounds. I can unequivocally attest to a more effective driving during tests using two feet instead of one for the reasons mentioned by outofyourmind. When driving a fully loaded semi, you have to have coordinated and efficient feet for obvious reasons.