• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dont really understand...

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok granted Niemi did win tonight and only allowed 1GA, but im confused as to why he got the start? I really dont get that no matter how good Nitty plays, they always just go right to Niemi like they are forcing the No1 spot on him without him deserving it. It drives me nuts...
How is it that before the current streak Niemi started 7 out 8 games while going an amazing 3-3-1 2.42GAA, and now Nitty goes 3-0 >1.66GAA and he they switch right back to Niemi??
Why do they like to ride Niemi for long stretches while he's playing poorly or average at best, but refuse to give the reigns to Nitty for long stretches...? Its not like in chicago last year where they kept giving the reigns back to Huet cause they wanted to get there moneys worth, Nitty & Niemi make the same amount so why are they so determined to make Niemi into a No1 this year...?

Man I cant stand the guy (if you cant tell already haha)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Todd is making a concerted effort to limit the amount of games that each goalie plays. Niitty has never shown much durability and Niemi only played 40 or so games last year. Once it gets close to PO's I think Todd's gonna really start riding the hot hand. But I agree, I like Niitty better.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McLellan probably wanted to get Niemi some work before the Christmas break. He hadn't played since the 15th. McLellan wants to go with the hot hand but at the same time he has a responibility to keep his other goalie as fresh as possible also.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The reasons said make sence only if you dont look at the numbers. When Nitty has a bad game, Niemi gets like 3 games in a row. When Niemi has a bad game he starts the next one, or sits one, Nitty plays good and Niemi gets the start right after... Call me retarded but this reminds of prime example of when Irbe played in Dallas and he wasnt favored for whatever reason and finished the season as the always THIRD string goalie but had a better record then the No 1 & 2 goalie, yet they just did not want to play for whatever reason... Nitty is getting the shaft for eaither Todd or DWil and I dont understand why... So what if his previous numbers say he cant handle a load, he's more then proved almost halfway thru the season hes the better guy, why not let him til he sucks at least 3 in a row... Hell Niemi has sucked 3 in a row and always gets to play the 5th game after that... It makes me sick, being a goalie myself, that no matter how good you do sometimes, play doesnt matter as long as the coach has a hardon for the other guy...

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But then again this is the same management that would rather have Mcginn and Mayers playing then possibly sign Nolan and Cheechoo for league minimum & pay husky & wallin multi millss... I think Dwil this last year smoked outa the same crack pipe Dale Talon did before he got canned.. You built a power house, got it in you head that your No1 GM, then started doing stupid shit no one can explain and started being retarded... Chi got smart and fired Talon... SJ needs to do the same with Dwil (even tho I love the guy, my first custom jersey was a Dwil jersey in 88)....

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Meh, there was one stretch where Niittymaki started something like 11 out of 13 games. I would guess the main reason Niemi was given the 7 out of 8 string of games is because he needed the time more than Niittymaki. Prior to those games he wasn't playing well, wasn't starting many games, and was working a lot with the goalie coaches on several aspects of his game. But, no matter how much you practice nothing helps like real game experience. McLellan knows that if this team is going to be successful both goalies have to preform and given where Niemi's game was before that stretch he needed the icetime more than Niittymaki did. If you look at the schedule that's been played so far Niemi has started three games after suffering a loss the previous game and Niittymaki twice. I don't know, I think you're making something out of nothing here.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I might be Cmon... Maybe its just cause I dont like the guy and living in Chi had to deal with Hawks fans thinking he was the 2nd coming of Brodeur. Then the nitemare of SJ signing him came true and DWil also thinking he's an elite goalie...
When I see the numbers of:
Nitty: 19GP 12-3-3 2.30gaa .910S%
Niemi: 17GP 7-8-2 3.02gaa .899S%
I just annoyed that they have basically started the same number of games when in the offseason DWil streight up told Nitty he's going to be the number 1, and he's earned it. Yet there still doesnt seem to be a No1... Its more of a 50/50 split

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I might be Cmon... Maybe its just cause I dont like the guy and living in Chi had to deal with Hawks fans thinking he was the 2nd coming of Brodeur. Then the nitemare of SJ signing him came true and DWil also thinking he's an elite goalie...
When I see the numbers of:
Nitty: 19GP 12-3-3 2.30gaa .910S%
Niemi: 17GP 7-8-2 3.02gaa .899S%
I just annoyed that they have basically started the same number of games when in the offseason DWil streight up told Nitty he's going to be the number 1, and he's earned it. Yet there still doesnt seem to be a No1... Its more of a 50/50 split

I don't recall Dougie ever saying Niittymaki would be the clear #1 guy. He was expected to be in a platoon with Greiss then it became a platoon with Niemi when he was signed. Before Niemi was in the picture many of us were expecting Greiss to get a small majority of the starts over Niitty.