• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't let your meats rest?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am cutting up a big steak or Tri-tip into strips to serve a group- I have started cooking it to desired temp and immediately cutting and serving. Nice to have the meat at MR and also hot.

I used to always let the meat rest, but recently I tried this cut and serve method and it works great.

I agree with you, Champ, but I don't typically slice my steaks before serving. When I'm doing the monster porterhouses and sharing I'll do what you're saying, but I usually pull regular steaks off the heat about 5 degrees lower than I want and it'll come to temp as it rests.

I do use a thermometer.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thicker the steak the better it is to rest it. In fact, it is best to flip a steak over and over during cooking to help keep the juices from pushing too far to one side but you have to get a good sear on it before you start flipping it every minute or so.

Steaks with higher fat content absolutely need rested for obvious reasons. Lots of steak houses make the mistake of plating a steak on a plate that was in the oven so it "keeps the food warm" but the plates are typically very hot and over cook the steak/not letting it rest.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of things:

1.) Not sure I buy what the article says. From personal experience, if I don't let meat rest, the juices start flowing out as soon as I start carving. When I let it rest, they don't.

2.) This is probably a "to each their own" type deal similar to whether or not to remove the skin on the back of ribs. Most say to remove it, but there are starting to be more folks saying not to because it helps the ribs retain moisture.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a professional Chef, I was always taught to let meat rest before slicing. Yes, I have seen the difference...The restaurant I've been working at the past few years would slice the Skirt Steak right off the grill and there would be blood/juices all over the cutting board after slicing. When I suggested waiting just a few minutes after grilling, the difference is noticeable, much more juice in the meat and not on the board when slicing, the flavor is also improved because of it...

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet you're a sous vide proponent.

Don't knock it - works great. I can take huge slice of meat and cook it medium-rare all the way through without worry.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't knock it - works great. I can take huge slice of meat and cook it medium-rare all the way through without worry.

I realize that the results should be flawless, but personally, I think it's a soulless way to prepare food.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sous vide and then throw in on an open flame for seconds to get the crust as desired. your soul will thank you.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sous vide and then throw in on an open flame for seconds to get the crust as desired. your soul will thank you.

I know how it works, and I've had it plenty of times. It's just not my thing.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rarely give my meat a rest...
I just saw this thread and was gonna come in and post this. Looks like I beat myself too it. (Pun intended, you know... not the first time I beat myself...)

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most important thing is the finishing temperature, which most cooks say, continues to rise for a few minutes after removing.

I never rest a steak for 15 minutes. Too long. Meat's cold by then. 5 minutes is plenty...aka, fix the rest of yer fucking plate, then grab yer steak on the way to the table.
Heat transfer and you are absolutely right. Especially when its a larger cut of meat. Gotta let that heat even out or as soon as you cut into it, juices will flow and hello dry steak. Brings me back memories of that one girl I met back in the summer 1997 that happened to be the first "squirter/gusher" I had ever experienced. Confusion followed by anger when I thought it was piss, followed by pride when I quickly realized she was satisfied and it wasn't piss. I needed a portable shower and a change of clothes with me when I planned for that crazy bitch.

Did I get off topic with this post?