• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't let your meats rest?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always let my steaks and such rest about 5 minutes after grilling to let the juices soak back in. I do this because everyone always told me it did that, and I like juicy steaks, so I did it.

But this website puts it to the test and says it's bunk.

Mythbusting Resting Meat: Give It A Rest

Guess I'll have to quit doing that then. Anyone else?

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've gotten into the habit of letting meats rest, but I've also incorporated it into my overall timing so that I'm doing other things like finishing/serving up sides or whatever in the meantime. However, I don't let them sit long enough for fats to congeal or the meat to significantly cool off. The article/sidebar also makes a point that large roasts still benefit from resting, which is good since those take time to serve up. I'm gonna file this under "good to know" but won't make any huge changes to my routines. Thanks for sharing!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hoop has lead me astray!!!!

Yet another reason why science can't be trusted....... Or faithed, er believed, er whatever....

#GlobalCooling=drySteak

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most important thing is the finishing temperature, which most cooks say, continues to rise for a few minutes after removing.

I never rest a steak for 15 minutes. Too long. Meat's cold by then. 5 minutes is plenty...aka, fix the rest of yer fucking plate, then grab yer steak on the way to the table.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let your meat loaf, is what I've been told.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am cutting up a big steak or Tri-tip into strips to serve a group- I have started cooking it to desired temp and immediately cutting and serving. Nice to have the meat at MR and also hot.

I used to always let the meat rest, but recently I tried this cut and serve method and it works great.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am cutting up a big steak or Tri-tip into strips to serve a group- I have started cooking it to desired temp and immediately cutting and serving. Nice to have the meat at MR and also hot.

I used to always let the meat rest, but recently I tried this cut and serve method and it works great.

It's almost like Peter Luger's knows what they're doing.

I blame the American south for setting home cooks around the country back 50 years. All you bible thumpers take everything on faith. If somebody tells you that you have to rest your meat after its cooked so it can reabsorb its juices, you believe them. If that same somebody tells you that if you poke your steak with a thermometer, or especially the old fashioned meat fork all of the juices will rush out like some sort of popped water balloon; you believe that too. Despite those 2 theories not even making sense when compared to each other, people believe both of them with all their heart. It's like magic, or god himself takes a hand in your meat if you do these arcane rituals. Oh and don't forget to let your meat come to room temperature before you cook it. Doesn't matter how you plan to cook it, whether it's raw or frozen, how thick or thin it is, or even what temperature your room is. As long as your meat is room temperature when you started cooking it, the magic makes it taste better.

Cooking is easily repeatable. You don't have to take anything on faith. It's pure 100% science.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most important thing is the finishing temperature, which most cooks say, continues to rise for a few minutes after removing.

I never rest a steak for 15 minutes. Too long. Meat's cold by then. 5 minutes is plenty...aka, fix the rest of yer fucking plate, then grab yer steak on the way to the table.

this

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how hungry I am.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rarely give my meat a rest...

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always pounding it tender are you DM?

Yep, rest your meat, at least when I smoke PS, brisket or do a roast on the barbecue. Why cut into something immediately and let all the juices run out?
I say, the more juice you can get out the better.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I tenderize it too much in one sitting, I hafta let it rest for a couple of days.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Don't let your meats rest."

I say this to my wife all the time.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. Plus, it gives the butter time to melt over the steak.

A big difference maker I've found is that I leave steaks out at room temp for at least three hours before I cook them. I think four hours is optimal.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like Peter Luger's knows what they're doing.

I blame the American south for setting home cooks around the country back 50 years. All you bible thumpers take everything on faith. If somebody tells you that you have to rest your meat after its cooked so it can reabsorb its juices, you believe them. If that same somebody tells you that if you poke your steak with a thermometer, or especially the old fashioned meat fork all of the juices will rush out like some sort of popped water balloon; you believe that too. Despite those 2 theories not even making sense when compared to each other, people believe both of them with all their heart. It's like magic, or god himself takes a hand in your meat if you do these arcane rituals. Oh and don't forget to let your meat come to room temperature before you cook it. Doesn't matter how you plan to cook it, whether it's raw or frozen, how thick or thin it is, or even what temperature your room is. As long as your meat is room temperature when you started cooking it, the magic makes it taste better.

Cooking is easily repeatable. You don't have to take anything on faith. It's pure 100% science.

I bet you're a sous vide proponent.