• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers searching for a new manager

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The names thrown around so far:

Gabe Kapler
Dave Roberts
Bud Black
Darin Erstad
Dave Martinez
Bob Geren
Tim Wallach
Ron Roenicke
Kirk Gibson

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Martinez gets an interview this week. Early rumors have Dave Roberts and Gabe Kapler as the early leaders.

I'm so torn on Kapler. I honestly don't know how I feel about him for the job.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kapler could be ok. Not sure about him either.

I'd probably prefer Martinez or Black (depending on his willingness to work with the front office)

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest thing about Kapler is how much I like him where he is. He seems to be a perfect fit for his job in Player Development.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess at who could be the 4, in no particular order:
Dave Martinez
Dave Roberts
Gabe Kapler
Bud Black

Regarding everyone else, no small part of me sees these guys (as in, all of them listed in the OP) as solid candidates for bench/base coach jobs. As far as I know, the only coach that's locked in to stay right where he is would be Rick Honeycutt. Also, the Dodgers gutted their minor league coaching staffs so they need to fill all of those positions as well. That would be the job for Josh Byrnes and Gabe Kapler (assuming he doesn't get the manager position).

My thoughts on the managerial candidates as possible bench/base coaches:

Dave Martinez is currently the bench coach in Chicago so there's no way he's leaving to be bench coach somewhere else.

Bob Geren is the bench coach for the Mets. So same as Martinez.

Tim Wallach - Don Mattingly thinks that he might go with him to Miami, I would guess that the the only thing that would stop that is a managerial offer. So he's a "no."

Kirk Gibson. LOL... I don't understand that guy.

Ron Roenike - I would peg him to stay as an base/bench coach. Seems like the best job for him. Villain approved. :thumb:

Bud Black - would love him as a bench coach if someone with limited experience like Kapler or Roberts gets the job. How funny would it be if Black was Roberts' bench coach? San Diego! You guys almost had it! LOL

Darrin Erstad - Yes, please.

Gabe Kapler - Meh. Seems like a waste of his talent since he's doing such good work in the minors (in my opinion), unless he's just bench coaching under a veteran for a season or two as a process to be groomed as a future manager. Still. He's killing it in player development. Dodgers doing good stuff there.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest thing about Kapler is how much I like him where he is. He seems to be a perfect fit for his job in Player Development.

Ya we need him to manage our saber metrics department! I see why you would want him to stay where he is!

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darrin Erstad withdrew himself from the running, I'm guessing he stays with his college team?

I'm curious to see what Bud Black can do with a large pool of talent and a competent front office. Would love to see Dave Roberts back with the Dodgers in some capacity.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose we'll find out the winner next week.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess:

Front Office wants Kapler.
Ownership wants Roberts.

No bad choice here, but I'd probably go with Roberts and keep Kapler running the yoga classes on the farm.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said I preferred Black... but with those 2 as our options, yes, I probably prefer Roberts as manager and keep Kapler in his current role.

At least Roberts as a few years on a big league bench coaching. That should help a little bit.