• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Dodgers @ Rockies

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to see here, just beating up on the Rockies yet again. Nice game by Kershaw last night, that makes 3 straight starts where he pitched 7+ innings as well as getting his first career 3-hit game.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hatcher needs to find that release point ASAP

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas got pushed around as well, Mattingly basically gave the game away. Nicasio was a starter last year and did relatively well the 2-3 innings he was on the mound, why not give him 5 innings?

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joc Pederson is unbelievable

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALEX GUERRERO!! HOLYFUCKINGSHIT!

This one is for you, Colorado:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the best game of the season, Guerrero's pinch-hit miracle grand slam followed by Kenley Jansen striking out the last batter with a fastball with a runner on third.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, best win of the year. How about these rookies!???!?

Bullpen pitched like it was Colorado. Give them a pass.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say that it was pretty dumb to have Nicasio/Thomas as the "starters" for game one. I really don't see why that was the way they decided to go.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say that it was pretty dumb to have Nicasio/Thomas as the "starters" for game one. I really don't see why that was the way they decided to go.
Agreed. Odd call by Donnie. Perhaps front office pressure?

Silver lining.... Keeping arms fresh for the long haul.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't know why either, but just a thought, we have been bringing guys up and down alot so far this year, eventually will run out of options on some. I wouldn't want to bring a rookie up and have his first start be in Coors field, it might set him back a bit if he were to get shelled, I mean even Greinke struggled there?

Nicasio, used to pitch there, so maybe Mattingly felt comfortable with that, but to let him only go one inning, i dont get that?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know why either, but just a thought, we have been bringing guys up and down alot so far this year, eventually will run out of options on some. I wouldn't want to bring a rookie up and have his first start be in Coors field, it might set him back a bit if he were to get shelled, I mean even Greinke struggled there?

Nicasio, used to pitch there, so maybe Mattingly felt comfortable with that, but to let him only go one inning, i dont get that?
And why not go with Wieland or Lee?

I'm starting to think the Dodgers do not want to showcase Lee before the trade deadline in fear of exposing or undermining his value. But then again, it's a red flag to any team right now that Lee is passed up for the likes of Scott Baker.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guerrero is acting like his first name is Vladimir with the way he's hitting balls out of the strike zone. He swings every time he has a 2 strike count but when you can hit like that it works out sometimes.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guerrero is acting like his first name is Vladimir with the way he's hitting balls out of the strike zone. He swings every time he has a 2 strike count but when you can hit like that it works out sometimes.
He never met a first pitch he didn't want to swing at either!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not Donnie's call. Roster moves are made by the Front Office.

Don't know why either, but just a thought, we have been bringing guys up and down alot so far this year, eventually will run out of options on some.

That's not how options work.

If they're already on the 40-man and they're already in the minors, then they've already used this year's option and can go up and down all year.

I wouldn't want to bring a rookie up and have his first start be in Coors field, it might set him back a bit if he were to get shelled, I mean even Greinke struggled there?

Nicasio threw two innings.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they're already on the 40-man and they're already in the minors, then they've already used this year's option and can go up and down all year.

Nicasio threw two innings.

The only explanation in my mind is that Mattingly didn't have confidence in anyone behind Kershaw and Greinke to pitch well on short rest, which is understandable. Promoting a minor-leaguer for a spot start in Colorado would have been a bit cruel as well, clearly he didn't mind losing the first game. He basically threw the worst pitchers he had out there.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only explanation in my mind is that Mattingly didn't have confidence in anyone behind Kershaw and Greinke to pitch well on short rest, which is understandable. Promoting a minor-leaguer for a spot start in Colorado would have been a bit cruel as well, clearly he didn't mind losing the first game. He basically threw the worst pitchers he had out there.
Well, here's what I didn't like.

The Dodgers had 2 options for the first game:

Option A) Promote one of the new-but-crappy relievers to tandem with Nicasio for 5 innings.
Option B) Promote Zach Lee or Joe Wieland and allow them to throw 5 innings.

I prefer Option B, because even if it doesn't work out with the starter, you can still use Nicasio in long relief. You get the added upside that maybe Lee/Wieland only throw 4 innings, but Nicasio can come in and just throw one inning.

Now, since the Front Office chose Option A you have Nicasio throwing just over 40 pitches and that makes him unavailable to pitch again until later in the week. If he only throws one inning for 15 or so pitches, then he's fine and he can be used again in shorter time frame.

Sure, you get an extra arm for the day, and the Dodgers have been aggressive with roster moves so they added two new players for the second game, but the Nicasio fallout goes further. This is a long week. 8 games in 7 days. Half of those games are against the Cardinals. I don't like the idea of shorting the bullpen by having a "bullpen game."

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smed55 said: ↑
Don't know why either, but just a thought, we have been bringing guys up and down alot so far this year, eventually will run out of options on some.

Yes I get options, I was referring to pitchers that may have been avaiable to bring up. Obviously the guys they had already brought up were not avaiable, due to them maybe having had pitched in the previous 3 days. I still would not give some rookie his first start of the year in Coors Field!

Yes, I misspoke when I said Nicasio went one inning, my bad, thanks for the correction. Still doesn't take away why he only went 2 innings?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It's not Donnie's call, roster moves are made the front office."

Thank you Captain Obvious (your new nickname). But the line up card is Mattingly's. So, does the front office make the moves and and force Donnie's hand on personnel and strategy? Or was Donnie the guy who pitched that game by committee? Head scratcher.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It's not Donnie's call, roster moves are made the front office."

Thank you Captain Obvious (your new nickname). But the line up card is Mattingly's. So, does the front office make the moves and and force Donnie's hand on personnel and strategy? Or was Donnie the guy who pitched that game by committee? Head scratcher.
The Front Office gave him the pitchers. It's not like he could've done it any other way.

I'm just saying, it's not Mattingly's fault. It's the Front Office who made the bad call. You don't need to hang this one on the manager.