• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

do y'all play or just fans?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there are at least 4 good leagues in Sw FL with hundreds of players in each.

But when you hit 50, (I'm not there yet) then there are 1000s of players and team play. I know some guys who play more than once a day almost every day in their doubles league.

Cool. I am in my 50s already and hopefully will start going down there in the winters in a few years.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some folks who do that in MD. I don't think I have ever been THAT into tennis. I love to play, but it is not my one sport I enjoy.

Well, most of them are retired and live in a country club near the courts. So, they get up and play tennis. Then they go home and chill and have lunch. Then, they play again at 3 before going to happy hour and drinking themselves to sleep. That seems to be the life of the FL retiree if they play tennis or golf.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my old racquet. As I started playing more doubles, I had to switch to the Wilson Juice 100s so I could play with hackers. If they don't give you any pace, I could get the Babolat to work with touch shots. With the Juice, I can just drop it in anywhere with a slice.

View attachment 145097

For the thread:

I'm an old singles players from 80s with an extreme western grip. I win a majority of 4.0 matches and lost a majority of 4.5s.
Of course, I avoid playing 3.5 players because they usually start dinking and lobbing...so, I give up and leave.

Is it boring to play those type of players? Just "not fun"? Cheesy / cheap?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it boring to play those type of players? Just "not fun"? Cheesy / cheap?
I always called them pushers. They basically get the ball back in play and wait for you to make an error. It is the most frustrating tennis match in the world. I hate pushers.

I have a hard time playing against players who don't put a lot of pop on their shots.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I currently have in my bag a BLX 90, a Pro Kennex type C mid (93 sqin), and a ProKennex QTour 98. The Wilson BLX is the heaviest and stiffest in my bag.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always called them pushers. They basically get the ball back in play and wait for you to make an error. It is the most frustrating tennis match in the world. I hate pushers.

I have a hard time playing against players who don't put a lot of pop on their shots.
I have a pusher "bible" somewhere. Will try to dig it up sometime. I hated them too. They thrive on your dfs and ues. They run down a lot of balls and use drop shots and lobs a lot.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I currently have in my bag a BLX 90, a Pro Kennex type C mid (93 sqin), and a ProKennex QTour 98. The Wilson BLX is the heaviest and stiffest in my bag.
I love my BLX 95 six one. Just tweaking the strings to get the combo I want

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are some decent players at my club but a "pusher" almost won the singles championship this year. As I age, I'm hip to their crap though. The guy expected to sit at the baseline and just push back my heavy topspin groundstrokes. So, I started hitting drop shots when the dude was way back. I bet I hit a dozen for winners until he was forced to come to the net...where I just easily passed him every time.

This hacker beat a solid 4.5 player before me donkin' it back. I wanted to cut myself watching that match! So, I wasn't going to let that happen to me.
Anyway, the Wilson Juice gave me the touch to drop it around while still maintaining most of the baseline power that I had with the Babolat.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some decent players at my club but a "pusher" almost won the singles championship this year. As I age, I'm hip to their crap though. The guy expected to sit at the baseline and just push back my heavy topspin groundstrokes. So, I started hitting drop shots when the dude was way back. I bet I hit a dozen for winners until he was forced to come to the net...where I just easily passed him every time.

This hacker beat a solid 4.5 player before me donkin' it back. I wanted to cut myself watching that match! So, I wasn't going to let that happen to me.
Anyway, the Wilson Juice gave me the touch to drop it around while still maintaining most of the baseline power that I had with the Babolat.
I never used to have the mental game to play against that style. I would make mistakes, get mad, try to kill the ball, lose patience...it was bad.

It's been a while since I have played singles though. Mostly I play mixed doubles now, but unfortunately my regular partner has the same mentality as I do. We are a bad combination.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love my BLX 95 six one. Just tweaking the strings to get the combo I want

The strings are everything. I stuck with gut forever because the synthetic stuff just didn't feel right. Finally, I've settled on Luxillon Big Bangor Rough and gotten used to it. It never breaks and feels pretty good.

One time the stringer messed up and did 2 of my racquets with some other synthetic and it was crazy...like an uncontrollable trampoline with no pop at the same tension.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The strings are everything. I stuck with gut forever because the synthetic stuff just didn't feel right. Finally, I've settled on Luxillon Big Bangor Rough and gotten used to it. It never breaks and feels pretty good.

One time the stringer messed up and did 2 of my racquets with some other synthetic and it was crazy...like an uncontrollable trampoline with no pop at the same tension.
I think I have Big Banger on the mains on one of mine with synthetic gut on the crosses. I am basically sticking with that combo for the foreseeable future.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there an easy way to find a tennis rental shop?

When I was visiting my friend in Southern California in 2012, he took me to a tennis racket rental shop. I thought that was a cool idea, a good way to try a few different rackets and see how it compares to one's current one.

I'd never seen one like that before, so don't know if they are in other areas. I'm surprised there isn't a chain in certain cities with a good tennis playing population.

But maybe there is, and I just don't know about it?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there an easy way to find a tennis rental shop?

When I was visiting my friend in Southern California in 2012, he took me to a tennis racket rental shop. I thought that was a cool idea, a good way to try a few different rackets and see how it compares to one's current one.

I'd never seen one like that before, so don't know if they are in other areas. I'm surprised there isn't a chain in certain cities with a good tennis playing population.

But maybe there is, and I just don't know about it?
you can go to Tenniswarehouse.com and order a couple racquets to demo.

Holabirdsports.com does the same thing.

I don't know how you would find any local places. Where are you located?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any devices that can measure the rpms of the balls hit, so one can see how one's topspin compares?

If they have radar guns in other sports to measure pitch speed and such, I would think some technology, either via radar, or a more sophisticated video capturing one, would be able to do so.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can go to Tenniswarehouse.com and order a couple racquets to demo.

Holabirdsports.com does the same thing.

I don't know how you would find any local places. Where are you located?

Bay Area in California.

I'll also finally get around to answering, tonight, the unanswered question in this thread: What my racket is. :L :dhd:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They really dont bother me. I do similar to what you do or hit them moon balls and then come inside the baseline so when the try to do it back I can either come forward for a volley or back a little for an overhead.

1 dimensional players are always beatable. Just make them do what they dont like to do.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I have Big Banger on the mains on one of mine with synthetic gut on the crosses. I am basically sticking with that combo for the foreseeable future.

I used to do that until I found my Kirshbaum string. It is a bit mushy though and condusive to shoulder problems because it does not have a ton of pop. I am thinking of changing soon.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didn't start playing until i was an adult

i naturally hit inside out better than cross court, and play at about a 4.5

head liquid metals with kevlar mains and nylon crosses

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any devices that can measure the rpms of the balls hit, so one can see how one's topspin compares?

If they have radar guns in other sports to measure pitch speed and such, I would think some technology, either via radar, or a more sophisticated video capturing one, would be able to do so.
they have devices you attach to your racquet that I have not yet tried but look interesting. I don't know if there is anything that measures the rpm's on the ball, but there very well could be some out there. I haven't done lessons or anything in years, so I don't know what is out there anymore, but I would love to try it.

Shit, just watching a slow motion video of my serve was cool back in the day. I love seeing how ugly my form can be.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to do that until I found my Kirshbaum string. It is a bit mushy though and condusive to shoulder problems because it does not have a ton of pop. I am thinking of changing soon.
my syn gut is Kirshbaum. I like it.