• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

do y'all play or just fans?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit some serves yesterday while taking breaks between teaching my five year old. Shoulder hurts when I do. My accuracy is really off though I got some good ones in. He is really getting into tennis. But too early to tell if he will stick with it.

Thats awesome. You will get more joy watching him play then you will playing yourself.

Also, if you notice weakness/numbness or tingling in your upper arm you will probably require surgery. If not you might have to take mega Ibuprofen for a week or so to get the inflammation out. You could also try ultrasound and PT simultaneously.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you basically self rate yourself when you join.

NTRP | USTA

True but that rating is only good for 3 matches and then you get a dynamic rating calculated. If it comes out higher than your self rate you will be disqualified at that level and moved up immediately so be careful. The following year you are computer rated and wont have to worry about it after that.

It would be best to find someone you know that has a rating and then see what side of them you fall on. A tennis club pro could also give you a good idea.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats awesome. You will get more joy watching him play then you will playing yourself.

Also, if you notice weakness/numbness or tingling in your upper arm you will probably require surgery. If not you might have to take mega Ibuprofen for a week or so to get the inflammation out. You could also try ultrasound and PT simultaneously.
Thanks, it's not too bad. The good way to tell is if you can do chin-ups, and also the rotator cuff band sideways pull to the chest. I think it's rotator cuff issue for me. But I am sound with no pain when I don't serve on the tennis court.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit some serves yesterday while taking breaks between teaching my five year old. Shoulder hurts when I do. My accuracy is really off though I got some good ones in. He is really getting into tennis. But too early to tell if he will stick with it.

:) Nice.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you basically self rate yourself when you join.

NTRP | USTA

True but that rating is only good for 3 matches and then you get a dynamic rating calculated. If it comes out higher than your self rate you will be disqualified at that level and moved up immediately so be careful. The following year you are computer rated and wont have to worry about it after that.

It would be best to find someone you know that has a rating and then see what side of them you fall on. A tennis club pro could also give you a good idea.

So what are the pros/cons of joining the USTA, vs using some other tennis match making service? Is there another one nationally, or are they all local ones?

Will other services find some way of rating / ranking you too?

I rarely play, maybe a few times over a few years. I took lessons for several years when I was young.

I would say that I can keep the ball in play, but don't have a specialty way to win points. Like I don't have a pattern or shot that I can go to.

So because of this, I can win a few points every game, but feel it's more because the other person messed up, then anything I did. And then it becomes a struggle to actually win enough points to win a game.

Plus my serve is so slow, even though I'm trying as hard as I can to make it fast and accurate when I hit it.

But seeing as you guys talk about playing in leagues and such. I'm just trying to find out more about them, so I can see what options are out there.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are the pros/cons of joining the USTA, vs using some other tennis match making service? Is there another one nationally, or are they all local ones?

Will other services find some way of rating / ranking you too?

I rarely play, maybe a few times over a few years. I took lessons for several years when I was young.

I would say that I can keep the ball in play, but don't have a specialty way to win points. Like I don't have a pattern or shot that I can go to.

So because of this, I can win a few points every game, but feel it's more because the other person messed up, then anything I did. And then it becomes a struggle to actually win enough points to win a game.

Plus my serve is so slow, even though I'm trying as hard as I can to make it fast and accurate when I hit it.

But seeing as you guys talk about playing in leagues and such. I'm just trying to find out more about them, so I can see what options are out there.

The only major positive with USTA is competition. It is not as social as it should be despite the fact that they have team tennis. Cant speak for other programs, I have never looked into any of them.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only major positive with USTA is competition. It is not as social as it should be despite the fact that they have team tennis. Cant speak for other programs, I have never looked into any of them.
USTA certainly isn't necessary if there are other opportunities to play in non sanctioned leagues or ladders or social groups. It is good to know where you think you fall on the scale, but it certainly isn'y necessary. We had a group of men in my USTA league decide they are fed up with the USTA and went and made their own independent league. I think they were tired of going to the city and getting beat by real 4.0 players, but they have other reasons.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USTA certainly isn't necessary if there are other opportunities to play in non sanctioned leagues or ladders or social groups. It is good to know where you think you fall on the scale, but it certainly isn'y necessary. We had a group of men in my USTA league decide they are fed up with the USTA and went and made their own independent league. I think they were tired of going to the city and getting beat by real 4.0 players, but they have other reasons.

Understandable. I am disappointed in the direction USTA is going. They are more about the money then the advancement of the sport. I find my club leagues more enjoyable.

Club leagues are probably a better option for most. Each club has their own way of running them. Many leagues allow for part time players too. I do a little of each.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What what reasons did they say made them tired of the USTA?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understandable. I am disappointed in the direction USTA is going. They are more about the money then the advancement of the sport. I find my club leagues more enjoyable.

Club leagues are probably a better option for most. Each club has their own way of running them. Many leagues allow for part time players too. I do a little of each.

Thanks.

Are these club leagues always a part of an athletic fitness gym, that require a monthly membership fee? Or are there some club leagues where you pay a one-time registration fee per season, or something, to participate?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

Are these club leagues always a part of an athletic fitness gym, that require a monthly membership fee? Or are there some club leagues where you pay a one-time registration fee per season, or something, to participate?

The latter. Some dont even have the one time fees.

Others have just the 1 big fee and you play as much as you want. You would have to be playing a lot to get your moneys worth with that though.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What what reasons did they say made them tired of the USTA?
I am sure they have other excuses, but I think what set it off is that a team was late for a match at a district tournament a couple years ago and the USTA docked them a couple points and they didn't take it well. So they decided they didn't want to deal with the USTA, took their balls, and went home. Instead they formed up this independent league.

I also think it is because they constantly got their asses kicked in these district tournaments.

I have never had an issue with the USTA and I am pissed that they were such babies about the USTA, so I never joined their league.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. How late were they? What was the reason?

When you say docked them a few points, you mean they were down a few points in the 1st game of the match, before the match started, right?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. How late were they? What was the reason?

When you say docked them a few points, you mean they were down a few points in the 1st game of the match, before the match started, right?
I don't know if it was points or games, but they were penalized regardless and have not yet let it go. I think they were just late, their own fault.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play Alta for the neighborhood and then starting with Ultimate this fall.

I'm a fairly decent player, play with the Babolat AeroPro Drive Plus.

As my background and talents lie more in being able to run, I tend to be all over the court, mostly baseline though. Two handed backswing, I do not string my own racquets though.

That's my old racquet. As I started playing more doubles, I had to switch to the Wilson Juice 100s so I could play with hackers. If they don't give you any pace, I could get the Babolat to work with touch shots. With the Juice, I can just drop it in anywhere with a slice.

WJ100S-3.jpg

For the thread:

I'm an old singles players from 80s with an extreme western grip. I win a majority of 4.0 matches and lost a majority of 4.5s.
Of course, I avoid playing 3.5 players because they usually start dinking and lobbing...so, I give up and leave.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way...I found a lot better matches in the K-Swiss League than in our USTA program here.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way...I found a lot better matches in the K-Swiss League than in our USTA program here.

Not surprising. I would imagine Florida would have a lot more options then most places.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising. I would imagine Florida would have a lot more options then most places.

Yeah, there are at least 4 good leagues in Sw FL with hundreds of players in each.

But when you hit 50, (I'm not there yet) then there are 1000s of players and team play. I know some guys who play more than once a day almost every day in their doubles league.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there are at least 4 good leagues in Sw FL with hundreds of players in each.

But when you hit 50, (I'm not there yet) then there are 1000s of players and team play. I know some guys who play more than once a day almost every day in their doubles league.
I know some folks who do that in MD. I don't think I have ever been THAT into tennis. I love to play, but it is not my one sport I enjoy.