• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Diamondbacks Expected To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diamondbacks Expected To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia

By Jeff Todd [May 7, 2015 at 8:22am CDT]
The Diamondbacks are expected to agree to terms with catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports on Twitter. Saltalamacchia must first clear release waivers, which will occur today, before he can reach formal agreement.

Saltalamacchia, 30, was released by the Marlins in the early going this year despite still having two years and about $14MM left on his contract. Miami will be left with those obligations since the club was unable to find a taker for some of his salary.

Of course, that means that the veteran backstop offers an essentially free opportunity for other clubs to add a power left-handed bat behind the dish. (The switch-hitter has always fared better against righties.) Though he has had his struggles defensively, Saltalamacchia remains as intriguing a player as can be hoped for in early May.

All said, linking up with Arizona makes eminent sense for both sides. The D’Backs’ catching situation has been even worse than expected, with starter Tuffy Gosewisch scuffling badly offensively. The team has little to lose and plenty to gain by installing Saltalamacchia in some

Some of you got your wish. At least we get him for league minimum & didn't have to give up anything. His bat should be an upgrade, more pop. Hopefully defense won't cost us games. I imagine he will platoon with Tuffy, playing against RHP.

He hasn't played in 2 weeks, so he probably will spend a week in the minors getting up to speed. When he does come up, Dorn will will likely be sent back to Reno with Pacheco moving back to a utility role.

It will be interesting in June when Oscar Hernandez has to be activated to the 25-man roster or sent backed to the Rays. I know they really want to keep him.

Just to be clear, I like his signing now that it doesn't cost us anything. I didn't like it when he was on waivers which would have cost us assets or meant we had to take his contract.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this signing, all things considered (proper team management would have addressed this obvious catcher issue before the season started).

While Salty is in the minors getting his game right, this will give Tuffy time to nab that elusive first extra base hit of the season. 26 games in and counting...you can do it Tuffy!

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this. At least we have a catcher that people will recognize now. Tuffy is a career minor leaguer and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Suns7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tuffy must be feeling the footsteps. 3 Doubles tonight and 4 RBIs! :lol:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got damn Tuffy had himself a night. He heard Saltalamacchias footsteps.