• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroy-it

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome weekend, I need to get out to the D more often. A quick breakdown:

Day One: Got in, checked in to the hotel, and went to eat at the Sweetwater Tavern right off Jefferson downtown. Sweet little bar, small as hell but lots of character. You could picture it as a speakeasy back in the day. Food came out fast and the wings were real good, very different flavor than what you'll get anywhere else. I recommend.

Friday: Headed out to Troy to visit Hockeytown Authentics. Some of the coolest Wings gear you will find, way better than the crap at Meijer, but expensive as shit. There was stuff that was reasonable, but the nicest looking great was unreal. $90 polo shirts, $45 long sleeve T's, $150 zip up hoodies. Holy balls. Lots of cool memorabilia, game worn skates, jerseys, sticks, autographed merch, etc. Worth a visit, at least.

Then we went back downtown. Our plan was to watch the Chicago-Detroit game at the Hockeytown Cafe, we figured for a Wings-Hawks game on a Friday night we'd better get there early. The people mover had a station right in our hotel so we took it right over to Grand Circus Park and walked to the restaurant. The people mover was packed full of people in U of M, MSU, and Tech gear going to the GLI. The Joe and the people mover however were the only busy things downtown that night. Downtown was a ghost town, and when we got to the Hockeytown Cafe there were only two other tables. By the end of the first period it was 8:30 or so and they were doing last call, and told us they would be closing down soon. Food was, as we assumed, expensive but decent and came out quick. Lots of big screens with the GLI on and the Wings game. I just couldn't freaking believe how dead the town was on a Friday night.

New Years Eve: We took the kids to the zoo in Royal Oak/Ferndale and wandered around. Nothing special, but it's winter so a lot of the stuff was shut down. Got to see two lions fucking.

On to the game: got there early and went right down to the front row to watch the players come out. One of my favorite parts of NHL games is getting close up to the players during warm ups. You get to read guys and pick up stuff that you can't see on TV or from the upper bowl. My take.

The Wings are a lot more loosey-goosey during warm ups than the Blues. The Blues warm up like a pee-wee team, at a fast pace with a more drill-oriented style. Lidstrom patrols the ice like a general, of his men but above his men. He could be a vice president of sales, or a stock broker, with his slight build and balding head, but he's got this fire in his eyes like Stevie Y used to have that says "I will put a fucking dagger through your heart with a stick and puck, bitch". The guy is quiet, humble, but not to be trifled with. You can watch him surveying the ice, thinking about the attack, not too concerned with petty crap like pregame drills.

Zetterberg cruises around like he wishes Sid were here. He's focused, but not on the moment. He's focused on the playoffs, the Cup, this is just some fleshy meat to tear through before he gets to the heart of the beast. He's hungry.

Nyquist is going to be a beast. He's confident, learning, and has the desire to dominate. It's going to happen. Watch this kid.

It's shocking how small Kronwall looks close up. You see him and think there's no way he could ever crush a guy like Ryan Clowe, but somehow he does it (CUZ HE LEAVES HIS FEET AND THROWS ELBOWZ AMIRITE?!?!?).

I bet Hudler gets a lot of tang. He shoots pucks at puckbunnies and smacks the glass with his stick. The Midget Pimp burns more rubber than the Daytona 500.

Datsyuk is like an artist. He's even creative during warm ups, doing shit with the puck that no one should be able to physically do. He picks top corners with no look backhands, and makes it look easy.

Howard has The Switch. Osgood gave it to him, I can tell. Hasek used to HATE it when people scored on him in warm ups. He never wanted a puck to go past him, EVER. With Howard I can read his mind. "Yup, it's cool... get by me now pucks... I don't give a fuck. Try it in about 20 minutes you punk bitch, then we'll see what's up". Sure enough, he shut out the Blues.

Ericsson has the same dead look in his eyes that he did 4 years ago when I watched him in warm ups in GR. He's not smart. He's not progressing.

You all saw the game, it was fucking bad ass.

btw, on New Years Eve, Downtown was hopping from top to bottom. Friday night was the calm before the storm. There is a lot of scary shit between downtown and the suburbs, but downtown is fun as hell and safe as hell. I hope the rest of the city catches up.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea i wouldn't recommend ever buying anything at hockeytown authentics if you can avoid it. cool to go in there and look around though.

glad you had a good time

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know how I missed this thread for 10 days, but thanks for the detailed thread! God I got to see the Red Wings play live some day.

LGRW_9

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Been away from the boards since forever. Nice to be back, and nice trip report, Eddie. Couldn't you have posted pics of the lions fucking? :)

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Been away from the boards since forever. Nice to be back, and nice trip report, Eddie. Couldn't you have posted pics of the lions fucking? :)

The NFL network will probably replay the season for you.....oh wait...I thought you said Lions "sucking"....:eyebrows:

Welcome back! You're almost to 10 posts!!!:clap2: