• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Delmas still out

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz said he’s not worried about how much or when Delmas will be available this fall, but he said the Western Michigan product will be welcomed back whenever he’s ready.

Pfft, his ass better be worried and I ain't buying it. Schwartzy politicking it up there. He knows his ass is on the burner so You bet your buttom he's worried about Delmas.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media has a way of asking the same question a million times in a million different ways. We all know Delmas was an risk/reward signing in the off season and we all wanted him back when he was visiting the Rams and Niners. He signed a 2 year deal because of injuries. Why the fak is the media bothering him about his knee? This is not news. I don't care if he doesn't practice at all. Can he help the Lions win on Sundays? That's all that matters.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if he doesn't practice either, if he can play the games. But I don't think that's the situation. The question is whether he'll be activated on Sundays. The season ended in December, it's now June, and he's still out. At the time he re-signed, was it common knowledge that he wouldn't be ready to go now? by training camp? by the beginning of the season? If not, then I think the questions about his knee and timetable are very reasonable.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His contract is production related, Maybe he didn't head to the Rams or Niners because they get the same medical reports the Lions get and maybe just maybe they saw something they didn't like.

Did he get offers from those teams? If so how much? If he didn't get offers then theres your answer, they just brought him in for a visit and felt he was damaged goods.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers gave him an offer I thought. Since the contract is completely not gaurenteed in the second year and he only gets paid for games that he plays I can't say I am too shocked he is still hurt. He has spent enough time in the system that as long as he is able to play and in shape by week 1 I don't care, he knows the playbook.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see our resident "realists" buying everything the media is selling.

RobBase hit it right on the head- old news for anyone actually paying attention.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers and Rams both gave him an offer. Ours was higher.

But that doesn't make for as good of negative conspiracy theory material, so it's quickly discarded...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't his contract basically performance based? If that is the case -- I hope they give him all the time he needs to get properly healed. I'd much rather he come back healthy than rush back and re-injure himself.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't his contract basically performance based? If that is the case -- I hope they give him all the time he needs to get properly healed. I'd much rather he come back healthy than rush back and re-injure himself.

Yuppers. I'm not unhappy with the contract. My guess (imo imho just my opinion don't want get jumped)

The Rams and 49ers took him for a visit. I don't know what they offered him. But just as much as TP said the Lions offered him more, I could just as easily say, maybe the Rams and 49ers saw a bargain and said this is all were willing to pay. Knowing everything the Lions did medically.

Maybe we overpaid? If he plays then the Lions win the battle because we know what he's capable of when healthy....If he doesn't play don't we lose?

Is it possible the 49ers and Rams did a risk assessment to figure out what the guy might be worth? That would be my guess.

Risk assessment is big buisness nowadays just like IT is big business......All these teams have these guys, Hell I did it for awhile in the Army. Didn't like it.....Sitting behind a desk doesn't sit well will me.

Can't learn crap behind a desk, get out and do. Not saying you can't make money behind a desk but you won't learn much as I've learned here from guys that don't work on Fridays.

Wait a minute, I'm behind my desk, well shit, let me get out and do.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we overpaid? If he plays then the Lions win the battle because we know what he's capable of when healthy....If he doesn't play don't we lose?
No, if he doesn't play, he loses. Plain and simple.

"In 2013, Delmas will have a base salary of $715,000, the veteran's minimum for a player with 4-6 accrued seasons. He has the ability to earn up to $1.75 million more based on playing time.
If Delmas plays 42 percent of the team's defensive snaps next season (approximately seven games), he will earn $109,375 for each game he was active. For example, if Delmas misses four games due to injury, he would earn $1.31 million for the 12 weeks he played. That money would be applied to the 2014 cap.
The Lions also awarded Delmas a $1 million signing bonus. For cap purposes, this is divided evenly over the the two-year deal. That means Delmas' cap number for 2013 will be $1.215 million.
In 2014, Delmas' base salary jumps to $5.5 million, plus a $500,000 roster bonus and $500,000 prorated portion of his signing bonus. That $6.5 million will be added the playing time bonus Delmas earns in 2013, making his max cap number $8.25 million.
The risk the Lions ultimately put into retaining Delmas is minimal. It's essentially a one-year, prove-it deal. If he can't stay on the field or struggles in 2013, the Lions can simply release him next season. The cap hit would be $500,000 added to his 2013 playing time bonus."

It still kills me that this information is readily out there, yet people still want to guess ans assume things. Either way, there is his contract info.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious to what your idea of learning is? I may not have learned how to build a house from my desk, but I did learn how to create virtual desktops that will let anyone in the company access any network resource anywhere in the world as long as there is an internet connection.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, if he doesn't play, he loses. Plain and simple.

"In 2013, Delmas will have a base salary of $715,000, the veteran's minimum for a player with 4-6 accrued seasons. He has the ability to earn up to $1.75 million more based on playing time.
If Delmas plays 42 percent of the team's defensive snaps next season (approximately seven games), he will earn $109,375 for each game he was active. For example, if Delmas misses four games due to injury, he would earn $1.31 million for the 12 weeks he played. That money would be applied to the 2014 cap.
The Lions also awarded Delmas a $1 million signing bonus. For cap purposes, this is divided evenly over the the two-year deal. That means Delmas' cap number for 2013 will be $1.215 million.
In 2014, Delmas' base salary jumps to $5.5 million, plus a $500,000 roster bonus and $500,000 prorated portion of his signing bonus. That $6.5 million will be added the playing time bonus Delmas earns in 2013, making his max cap number $8.25 million.
The risk the Lions ultimately put into retaining Delmas is minimal. It's essentially a one-year, prove-it deal. If he can't stay on the field or struggles in 2013, the Lions can simply release him next season. The cap hit would be $500,000 added to his 2013 playing time bonus."

It still kills me that this information is readily out there, yet people still want to guess ans assume things. Either way, there is his contract info.

And it kills me that you think we win. If Delmas doesn't play, we don't have a Safety. Nice planning on mangmt. They have all the info. If he doesn''t play, you still paid the guy......Not rocket science here.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't surprise me you think negatively of this deal. :ohwell:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn''t play, you still paid the guy......Not rocket science here.
Find me an NFL contract where an injured player has no base salary. Players like Delmas have this type of contract bc of their injury history. It's a great deal. We have a guy that when healthy not only makes plays, but he knows the system and playbook. If he doesn't play often, he doesn't get his incentives and we can cut him next year. You were saying something about rocket science?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find me an NFL contract where an injured player has no base salary. Players like Delmas have this type of contract bc of their injury history. It's a great deal. We have a guy that when healthy not only makes plays, but he knows the system and playbook. If he doesn't play often, he doesn't get his incentives and we can cut him next year. You were saying something about rocket science?

The contract is fine. I said I wasn't unhappy about it.....What I I'm telling you is if he doesn't see the field we lose.

We didn't address the possiblity that his knee might be a issue.

Even us fans knew his injury history with that knee.....Maybe we offered more because we were so screwed in the Safety deparment and the the Rams and 49ers weren't.....

Maybe they said Delmas would be a good back up to our starting safety........So they offered less.....We are sucking at that position and his agent isn't a dummy and said this is the best value.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, have you ever read a piece of Lions-related news that you didn't immediately put a negative spin on?

It really does start to get old after a while...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, have you ever read a piece of Lions-related news that you didn't immediately put a negative spin on?

It really does start to get old after a while...

Have you ever read that same piece and put a positive spin on it?

Ditto, it gets old on this side too.:rollseyes:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to be forgetting that this is a site for Detroit Lions fans, not post menopausal women who need a place to bitch about anything and everything...