• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Daniels vs Maye: Final thoughts

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he needed to pass against the chiefs he looked pretty bad. He looked like he was forcing throws that he shouldn’t. He has a great defense that allows him to kill clock, which he is very good at. However, when he needs to play from behind, he kinda sucks.
Just not a Lamar fan, he chokes in the playoffs and just does not throw it well enough In fairness he has been hindered because the Ravens don't know how to draft WRs.

That's why I originally preferred Maye. But looking at the tape Daniels throws it so much better than Lamar and he looked special where Maye looked like a whole lot of first round QBs who busted.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing it will take 2 or 3 years. Lamar didn't have to play right away and i believe that helped him tremendously. I'm not too worried about injuries his rookie year but i do have concerns about turnovers that actually cost us a game. Normal rookie mistakes. Hopefully folks understand he won't be CJ Stroud
Every QB in the league benefits when they have better weapons. JD5, will start right away (I'm against this) and we will know definitely soon thereafter if he has "it" if Terry and Dotson are looking better than they typically have been. Even then, the organization will be doing themselves and the team a disservice by not adding a true WR1.
Hurt and injuries are part of the game so I don't worry about those either. Rookie mistakes happen, but the really good news about this young QB is beyond being a dedicated student of the game, he has a history that tells us that he doesn't repeat mistakes, but turns them into advantages.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every QB in the league benefits when they have better weapons. JD5, will start right away (I'm against this) and we will know definitely soon thereafter if he has "it" if Terry and Dotson are looking better than they typically have been. Even then, the organization will be doing themselves and the team a disservice by not adding a true WR1.
Hurt and injuries are part of the game so I don't worry about those either. Rookie mistakes happen, but the really good news about this young QB is beyond being a dedicated student of the game, he has a history that tells us that he doesn't repeat mistakes, but turns them into advantages.

I want to believe Ekler is going to help either Terry or Dotson, not sure. But he's just enough of a threat where teams can't necessarily erase Terry anymore without paying for it. Some folks aren't for it, but i totally believe and agree we have to get another WR1 before the season starts. Ayuik, Higgins, or someone else with more experience than Dotson. We just don't have the experience to beat Dallas/Philly/GB in a playoff game with what we have on offense. Just IMO

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to believe Ekler is going to help either Terry or Dotson, not sure. But he's just enough of a threat where teams can't necessarily erase Terry anymore without paying for it. Some folks aren't for it, but i totally believe and agree we have to get another WR1 before the season starts. Ayuik, Higgins, or someone else with more experience than Dotson. We just don't have the experience to beat Dallas/Philly/GB in a playoff game with what we have on offense. Just IMO
Our weapons have been perfectly described as "nice pieces" throughout the league. Not once have they been confused or compared to the best WR tandems in the league. A true WR1, elevates this group into those conversations.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our weapons have been perfectly described as "nice pieces" throughout the league. Not once have they been confused or compared to the best WR tandems in the league. A true WR1, elevates this group into those conversations.
Totally agree. What's your thought on why Terry has been completely neutralized in the redzone. He should be getting 8 to 9 TDs IMO

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. What's your thought on why Terry has been completely neutralized in the redzone. He should be getting 8 to 9 TDs IMO
WR1s command lots of attention and they still perform better than their contemporaries. Their contributions to the success of the team cannot be measured simply based on their productivity but also on how much better they make others. Being a true WR2 explains why Terry can be neutralized at times and against better competition. As a comparison, everyone in football knows Justin Jefferson is "that guy" and despite their best efforts he still produces at a high level, competition be damned! I want this for my team and my QB!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the better defenses contained Lamar? Jackson is Cousins in January but he has played great against good defenses during the regular season for years. And it's not like coaches can't help Daniels.

I'll admit a running QBs is not my preference, I prefer the Big Ben like guys who can run when needed. But looking at the tape Daniels, like Williams, looks special and I'll take my chances with special.
Daniels is a throw first QB, and not a running QB. We agree... he is special!

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR1s command lots of attention and they still perform better than their contemporaries. Their contributions to the success of the team cannot be measured simply based on their productivity but also on how much better they make others. Being a true WR2 explains why Terry can be neutralized at times and against better competition. As a comparison, everyone in football knows Justin Jefferson is "that guy" and despite their best efforts he still produces at a high level, competition be damned! I want this for my team and my QB!

Perfect example, Jefferson is often doubled but still unstoppable. Granted he's had a quality qb, he clearly elevated addison as well. Terry did that for Dotson his rookie year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I can agree we could use a wr1 , but Higgins and Auyuk are not #1 wrs either . Nor was Thomas in the draft . Those guys weren’t number ones on their respective teams

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I can agree we could use a wr1 , but Higgins and Auyuk are not #1 wrs either . Nor was Thomas in the draft . Those guys weren’t number ones on their respective teams

Technically you're right. But I'd still believe he would be 1A automatically joining this team. No pass catcher with the exception of Ekler is going make Terry and co. Better or have an easier time.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course almost all will agree that Washington needs a WR1, however it wasn't understandably addressed in the draft, so the question becomes what are the options now?
Why are you suggesting that Higgins wouldn't be a significant upgrade, or in fact the automatic WR1 on this team? Aiyuk doesn't meet the size requirements but he was the second best receiver in the league last year. The point is, this has to be addressed prior to the new season in order to give Daniels the best opportunity to succeed and more important, fewer reasons to run, putting himself at jeopardy.
Here's how the WRs ranked last year:

Here were the top 20 wide receivers in the NFL by overall PFF grade in 2023.

1. TYREEK HILL, MIAMI DOLPHINS: 93.4

2. BRANDON AIYUK, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 91.5

3. NICO COLLINS, HOUSTON TEXANS: 91.4

4. AMON-RA ST. BROWN, DETROIT LIONS: 91.2

5. JUSTIN JEFFERSON, MINNESOTA VIKINGS: 91.1

6. CEEDEE LAMB, DALLAS COWBOYS: 90.9

7. JAYLEN WADDLE, MIAMI DOLPHINS: 90.3

8. PUKA NACUA, LOS ANGELES RAMS: 90.2

9. A.J. BROWN, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: 90.0

10. DJ MOORE, CHICAGO BEARS: 89.4

11. KEENAN ALLEN, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: 86.3

12. DEEBO SAMUEL, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 85.4

13. JA’MARR CHASE, CINCINNATI BENGALS: 85.3

14. RASHEE RICE, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: 84.9

15. TANK DELL, HOUSTON TEXANS: 83.4

16. CHRIS OLAVE, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: 82.5

17. MIKE EVANS, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: 81.5

18. DEANDRE HOPKINS, TENNESSEE TITANS: 81.0

19. D.K. METCALF, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: 80.0

20. AMARI COOPER, CLEVELAND BROWNS: 79.9

Read More PFF NFL News & Analysis.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the regular comparisons between the two (Regular season plus playoffs)

1714639570682.png

1714639610505.png

... And these are the advanced comparisons (Regular season plus playoffs)

1714639876133.png

1714640079757.png

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels is a throw first QB, and not a running QB. We agree... he is special!

I think he was drafted at #2 b/c if his running ability. Plus, he is tough to gameplan for b/c of the running ability. Yes, he can throw the ball, and can be effective from the pocket but he is known for taking off too early in the pocket. Even BB said that about him. As of right now you would not call JD a pocket passer. Can he develop into that, yes.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
higgins /auyuik are better players then tmac . that doesnt mean they are number 1's . 1a and 1b is another way of saying wr1 and wr2 . . you are either a #1 or you are not . whether higgins or auyuik would be #1's on this team however thats what we have here already , actual number 2's being asked to be number 1's

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
higgins /auyuik are better players then tmac . that doesnt mean they are number 1's . 1a and 1b is another way of saying wr1 and wr2 . . you are either a #1 or you are not . whether higgins or auyuik would be #1's on this team however thats what we have here already , actual number 2's being asked to be number 1's
Not sure about that. We have nothing that resembles Chase as Higgins had in front of him. Higgins would be able to show he is a true #1 if given the opportunity imo.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was drafted at #2 b/c if his running ability. Plus, he is tough to gameplan for b/c of the running ability. Yes, he can throw the ball, and can be effective from the pocket but he is known for taking off too early in the pocket. Even BB said that about him. As of right now you would not call JD a pocket passer. Can he develop into that, yes.
You're totally wrong about that and so is anybody who still wants to characterize him as such.
He processes and analyzes better than any in his class pre-snap. Highly skilled as a passer and has a football IQ that's off the charts. He is a full-field reader with good rhythm through his progressions. Prefers to attack defenses from the pocket and has pro-ready throwing mechanics and footwork (maintains his throwing platform when sliding around in the pocket). He is a very accurate anticipatory thrower.
A couple of quick notes:
1. Against the blitz he completes 71.1% of his passes (17 TDs, 0 ints.)
2. When defenses dropped into zones, he completes 77.6% of his passes. ( 20 TDs, 0 ints., 2438 yards.
Oh and btw; He has the running talent to turn scrambles into back-breaking plays an has the speed to keep defenses honest with zone-read concepts.

I'm not sure what you and some others think that we have, but whatever it is, somebody or something is steering you in the wrong direction on this young man. Please reevaluate/ reconsider your information/perspective.