• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cut Down Tracker

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the Broncos save a roster spot for Riddick - and then cut him?

He doesn’t count against the roster spot on IR.

NFL made a change to injury settlements about 5 years ago. A player will remain on IR but once healthy can be released and still play for another team. But he would not be able to re-sign with Denver if released off IR. Use to outright cut injured players with upfront injury settlemebt now they stay on IR until healthy. Use to be a player on IR stayed there the entire season regardless. Now you can release (where he can sign with another team) or activate a player off injured reserve.

We only get to active two players off IR the entire season. Lock will be one. May be hard to use the other on Riddick unless A. We have no other players injured enough to go on IR which would be nice or B. We have an open roster spot at IR when Riddick is healthy. It will all depend on timing.
You do ‘t just keep a player on the roster because of a one year deal unless you feel he can help you so it will come down to those two things if we activate him. He surely could be but a lot factors into it. I don’t think it is a decision that will be made until it is time to make it. Not sure Riddick helps us much unless we have an opening there.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we don't have one on our roster? Interesting move.

Elway seems pretty confident in who it’ll be but he said he can’t say until tomorrow. Could be Hoyer or someone else but sounds like he already has someone.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs sign Shady

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And reason why I said “He will be released” is because Initially they said he was placed on injured reserve. Which would have meant that he is out for the season or released with an injury settlement when healthy. However, he is not being placed on injured reserve until tomorrow so that makes him eligible to return.

Butt, Lock and Riddick will all go on IR tmrw and we cut down to 52 today so will have 4 open roster spots for waivers tomorrow.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m guessing Rypien will clear waivers and make it back as a practice squad player. And I’m seeing reports the Broncos will be signing Hoyer as the #2. I like that. A vet backup who can come in and give a professional performance if needed to do so. Hopefully we don’t need him to do so.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And reason why I said “He will be released” is because Initially they said he was placed on injured reserve. Which would have meant that he is out for the season or released with an injury settlement when healthy. However, he is not being placed on injured reserve until tomorrow so that makes him eligible to return.

Butt, Lock and Riddick will all go on IR tmrw and we cut down to 52 today so will have 4 open roster spots for waivers tomorrow.

Yeah - that's what I'm saying - whether the Broncos bring him back to play or not - they are preserving their right to bring him back.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - that's what I'm saying - whether the Broncos bring him back to play or not - they are preserving their right to bring him back.

Yes!! They have the option.

Be interesting with 4 open roster spots once those 3 go on IR... I like putting Butt on IR. Not giving up on him, although his long term health looks bleak. Keeping him around to see if it can work. Could end up spending the entire year on IR which would be bad for him but we at least give him some hope.

We know one of the 4 open spots is said to be Brian Hoyer according to reports. Don't like our OL depth here but I like our starters much more then years past. Another appears to be Corey Nelson.

Here are the 10 I would like to see signed to the PS.

Jamal Carter
Keishawn Bierria
DeShawn Williams
Kelvin McKnight
Trinity Benson
Alijah Holder
OL off another roster
Brett Rypien
Khalfani Muhammad
Moral Stephens or a TE off another roster?

Many will probably scream at me for leaving Aston off, but I just don't see the need for a FB on the PS if we figure Jano will only miss a few weeks of the season and we not carrying a FB on the active roster, instead using Fumagalli for a hybrid role to fill in.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason to have Aston on the PS is if we think Jano leaves at years end. The we can lead his development.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason to have Aston on the PS is if we think Jano leaves at years end. The we can lead his development.

True-

Then I ponder....
What are the chances Jano leaves if we want him? Like 5 teams use a FB now.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Draft Crazy Ashton will make the PS because Jano's contract is up next year and Ashton is a decent replacement.

For PS I like

kelvin McKnight
Alijah Holder
Brett Rypien
Khalfani Muhammad
Keishawn Bierria
John Leglue
San Jones
George Ashton
Ahmad Gooden
Deshawn Williams

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Jano planning to hit it big with one of those 5 teams that use a FB?

I don't even know if we will use a FB next year to be honest. But yeah I get your point about Aston possibly making the PS.

Just not sure I see it. Nor am I against it. He doesn't offer anything on special teams though and at this stage of an NFL FB's career if you don't play special teams I am not sure you stay on roster with how little a FB is used. He was a great short yardage guy in college though.

Personally, I don't think we will have any issue whatsoever re-signing Jano if we want to after this season.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we stopped carrying a FB we could carry 4 TEs and use one of the as the FB when desired. Depends on if we want a true FB.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we stopped carrying a FB we could carry 4 TEs and use one of the as the FB when desired. Depends on if we want a true FB.

yes sir!

But if we wanna use a true FB I don't think we will have any issues re-signing Janovich this off-season.

FB's are pretty easy to re-sign if you want them considering very few use them and not many teams are offering free agent FB's more money then the team they are currently on are going to sign them. It is a pretty low scale for a FB in today's game.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes sir!

But if we wanna use a true FB I don't think we will have any issues re-signing Janovich this off-season.

FB's are pretty easy to re-sign if you want them considering very few use them and not many teams are offering free agent FB's more money then the team they are currently on are going to sign them. It is a pretty low scale for a FB in today's game.

That's what the Broncos thought when Howard Griffith was the FB.

As for Jano - he might want more money than the Broncos will pay - or he might be injured - as he hasn't exactly been injury free in his Bronco career. Ashton is the leverage for the next contract and the insurance against a Jano injury.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is assuming we even like Aston.. We will see today. I think it is 50/50. Won't be surprised either way. You don't see many teams carry a FB on a practice squad. I think we can recover if Jano was to get hurt again or leave via free agency (which I doubt he does if we want him back) Don't think we loathe Aston. Jano is not Howard Griffith as a FB. Jano is more of a special teams/pass catcher who is a decent blocker at FB. We used him less and less as a FB last year. Griffith was in on damn near every offensive snap.
Flashback: Remember when we made Aaron Craver a FB who was originally a TB for the Dolphins? He did pretty well at FB. Surely not the level Griffith was, but I just randomly thought of that.

Droughns ended up playing FB here a bit too as did Mike Anderson. Then there was Peyton Hillis who went from FB to HB the year our backs were injury riddled. Then there was Spencer Larsen who once started a game at both FB and LB.

Steve Sewell was fun.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is assuming we even like Aston.. We will see today. I think it is 50/50. Won't be surprised either way. You don't see many teams carry a FB on a practice squad. I think we can recover if Jano was to get hurt again or leave via free agency (which I doubt he does if we want him back) Don't think we loathe Aston. Jano is not Howard Griffith as a FB. Jano is more of a special teams/pass catcher who is a decent blocker at FB. We used him less and less as a FB last year. Griffith was in on damn near every offensive snap.
Flashback: Remember when we made Aaron Craver a FB who was originally a TB for the Dolphins? He did pretty well at FB. Surely not the level Griffith was, but I just randomly thought of that.

Droughns ended up playing FB here a bit too as did Mike Anderson. Then there was Peyton Hillis who went from FB to HB the year our backs were injury riddled. Then there was Spencer Larsen who once started a game at both FB and LB.

Steve Sewell was fun.

Yes, but Droughns is now wondering around shopping malls in Arizona.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but Droughns is now wondering around shopping malls in Arizona.

Everytime I think of Droughns I am going to think about that now.

I don't know if you recall, but there is a fun Droughns story. When he was on the Giants he gave his coat to a homeless lady on the streets and it made headlines. I forget the story to it, but maybe it was a jersey he gave to a homeless person. ;)

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Allen now a Bronco

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos have waived three players today: River Cracraft, linebacker Josh Watson and offensive lineman Jake Rodgers.