• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely.

But if you are all in this year, and don’t really care about next year, this is CLEARLY the proper move.
"quite the risk?"

It's two months...I don't see that risk as significant, given the possible upside of playoff contention

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"quite the risk?"

It's two months...I don't see that risk as significant, given the possible upside of playoff contention
If he gets the surgery now, he should be back by this time (ish) next year. If you wait, and he still needs to go under the knife, you are eating more of his 2019 season.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets the surgery now, he should be back by this time (ish) next year. If you wait, and he still needs to go under the knife, you are eating more of his 2019 season.
Potentially all of 2019, depending on when he goes under the knife. That means losing practically two whole seasons from him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to ask, is there a famous Snelton that I don't know about? It's not just you, a lot of people make this spelling mistake (Snelten vs. Snelton)
I think people are so used to spelling names similar to this with an "on" that its hard to think of it as an "on".

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to ask, is there a famous Snelton that I don't know about? It's not just you, a lot of people make this spelling mistake (Snelten vs. Snelton)
I didn’t give it any thought. I don’t think I have ever noticed the actual spelling of his name in order to spell it right or wrong in the first place.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite possibly the greatest typo in the history of typos.
tenor.gif

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto moved from the 10 to the 60
Osich taken off the 10 and sent to Sacto
Law sent to Sacto
Jose Valdez added to the 40 and 25

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, I am surprised to see Valdez instead of Black. Maybe Black straws everything straight and will be bombed at higher levels?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto moved from the 10 to the 60
Osich taken off the 10 and sent to Sacto
Law sent to Sacto
Jose Valdez added to the 40 and 25
Interesting to see Law down so quickly. If the reason he came up was to make a decision on whether to keep him on the 40, how did last night help in any way? He was awful with RISP but after that he was the best pitcher of the night.

Valdez is an interesting pick up. As I noted in the Farm thread, the only exciting thing about his stats this year is his K rate. Other than that, I didn't think he was worth noting. Apparently, that one area was enough for the FO.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to see Law down so quickly. If the reason he came up was to make a decision on whether to keep him on the 40, how did last night help in any way? He was awful with RISP but after that he was the best pitcher of the night.

Valdez is an interesting pick up. As I noted in the Farm thread, the only exciting thing about his stats this year is his K rate. Other than that, I didn't think he was worth noting. Apparently, that one area was enough for the FO.
My guess is that they needed innings in the bully, and Law didn’t have any in his arm after yesterday, so his final exam needed to be rescheduled.

WAG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that they needed innings in the bully, and Law didn’t have any in his arm after yesterday, so his final exam needed to be rescheduled.

WAG
The problem is that the Giants have created a lack of available arms if they need another guy for the bullpen. Beede, Law, Osich and Snelten are the only guys on the 40 who are healthy in Sacramento. Three of the those guys have been optioned in the past 3 days. Barring injury, Valdez is the guy for at least a week.

Here is an interesting side note, Ray Black is now listed on Sacramento's roster. Looks like they want to see what he does at AAA before calling him up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that the Giants have created a lack of available arms if they need another guy for the bullpen. Beede, Law, Osich and Snelten are the only guys on the 40 who are healthy in Sacramento. Three of the those guys have been optioned in the past 3 days. Barring injury, Valdez is the guy for at least a week.

Here is an interesting side note, Ray Black is now listed on Sacramento's roster. Looks like they want to see what he does at AAA before calling him up.
That is a fair move for Black. But his arm is holding on with bubble gum and dental floss. He needs to get up while he can (that’s what she said).

MAYBE they are hesitant to call him up just to see him blow up while on the 25. That would just be ANOTHER guy making MLB money while not contributing for the duration of the season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a fair move for Black. But his arm is holding on with bubble gum and dental floss. He needs to get up while he can (that’s what she said).

MAYBE they are hesitant to call him up just to see him blow up while on the 25. That would just be ANOTHER guy making MLB money while not contributing for the duration of the season.
My sarcastic comment would have to do with all the veterans already doing that but what you say is a valid point, to an extent. They want to stay under the luxury tax threshold and are so stinkin' close. However, Valdez just came up so that doesn't seem to be too much of a concern.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sarcastic comment would have to do with all the veterans already doing that but what you say is a valid point, to an extent. They want to stay under the luxury tax threshold and are so stinkin' close. However, Valdez just came up so that doesn't seem to be too much of a concern.
But if Black comes up and his arm blows up while with SF, he will have to be 60’d, thus eating another 400K. If he blows up while in Sacto, it essentially doesn’t cost anything.

While Valdez COULD blow up his arm as well, Black is almost likely to blow up.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, I am surprised to see Valdez instead of Black. Maybe Black straws everything straight and will be bombed at higher levels?

Nothing Black throws is straight. He has some of the highest spin rates in organized baseball.

Right now, it's almost certainly about his usage. He's still pitching every 3-4 days, hasn't pitched back-to-back games since joining the Giants organization. Basically, most of the reasons the Julian Fernandez was a long shot apply to Ray Black.

For now

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alen Hanson placed on the 10 day disabled list and "infielder" Austin Slater has been recalled from Sacramento. Slater played two games at 1st base in Sacramento but, apparently ESPN thinks that he is an infielder.