• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

'Culture Change'

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof? First time I've heard this assertion.

Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitzpatrick were the fastest QBs to get rid of the ball in 2012. Both averaged 2.4 seconds per attempt. - Pro Football Focus

However, this is not always a good thing as mentioned below...he needs to go through his progressions more. When he took the time to do that, he was rushed and threw bad passes thanks in part to the OL, lack of running game, and a legit threat opposite Green. Dalton is not a very accurate QB outside the pocket. He is better off when he scrambles, to just fake a throw and continuing to run.

Dalton's completion percentage was right on par with the likes of Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

However, Dalton posted a 62.3 completion percentage in 2012 which was good enough for 12th in the league. There are two quarterbacks ranked just above Dalton with a 63.0 completion percentage. They would happen to be Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

With the amount of weapons that these other quarterbacks have at their disposal and Dalton having to rely almost solely on A.J. Green, it appears that he is in good company.

Pro Football Focus had this statistic on Dalton to which there were some mixed reviews:

Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitzpatrick were the fastest QBs to get rid of the ball in 2012. Both averaged 2.4 seconds per attempt

Some Bengals fans were instantly clamoring about how quick of a release Dalton has which makes his skill set far superior to those of other NFL quarterbacks. Not so fast.

Getting rid of the ball and owning a quick release are two far different things. Yes, Dalton does have a very quick release which is a great thing for a young quarterback. But throwing the ball so quickly means that Dalton is not going through his progressions and staying patient in the pocket.

Ryan Fitzpatrick ended up tied with Dalton to be the quickest to release the football out of all NFL quarterbacks.

With an NFL caliber quarterback, you would like to see your team's gunslinger in the top third of the league, not at the top. There should be an equal balance of a quick release along with going through reads to find the best available target.

This statistic really is not boasting about Dalton and should not be taken as such. Instead, this is one area in which Dalton severely needs to improve as we move toward the 2013 season.
- Bleacher Report

This is just the first site I came across. I am sure there is more. I had not read this on Bleacher Report and then reported on our site. I had heard it on NFL Network, or somewhere and maybe on Bengals.com at one point. I couldn't remember exactly where I heard it, just stuck with me as an odd stat, so I had to go on the Internet searching for any proof for you. This was the first one I came across.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And if the team has a down year you know Marvin is passing the buck. He's the architect when things are going well, but if the team struggles for whatever reason you know there will be a scapegoat

NCBengal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are really no excuses for Dalton this year if all weapons are healthy. I think Gio adds an extra weapon (safety valve) for Dalton too. Sanu and Jones are key. And coaches not taking Eifert out of the game b/c Greshman gets his ass on his shoulders.

jwil007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There can be a lot of growing over ten years. I will give Marvin credit for changing the culture. I'm just pissed that it took him so long to do it, or that he couldn't get it done before Carson Palmer was through with him. Now we have a young quarterback that we have to win with before he is ready to, when we could have had Palmer in his prime with a good young team around him. In the end the Bengals and Marvin have failed Palmer more than he failed them.

If we had a young Palmer with this defense and weapons we would go to the SB...... Now Dalton's teams have WAY MORE weapons than the 2004 - 2009 teams.... Better backs, will be better WR's, way better TE's, better DL,DE's, LB's, Safeties and better corners too..... Way more talent then the mid 00's......Dalton is the key this year and Lewis needs to STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY and let Gruden, Zimmer and Jackson do their thing...When it comes time to challenge plays...Seek the lead coaches then make a decision....