• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cueto down again

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be our hero doesn't want to face the Birdies.
Or it could be we get shelled tonight.
Pedro
Villareal?

Lord, help us.

Lat injury forces Johnny Cueto to DL
-- CBSSports.com
Reds starting pitcher Johnny Cueto was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a lat injury after being scratched from his Wednesday start against the Rockies, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. Pedro Villarreal was summoned from Triple-A Louisville to start Wednesday in place of Cueto, who is 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA in three starts since coming off the disabled list May 20 because of an oblique injury.

Cincy the Red

It all starts with heart.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF!!!!!! Don't have much left, but I think I just pulled the rest of my hair out. Cueto needs to take a good hard look at that "wind-up" of his.....could be the issue. But.... why did they not bring up "Cin-ful"???????? Villarreal may do fine but that means I have to come up with a new nickname......."Villainous" perhaps? Lord in heaven, somebody did put the anti-mojo voodoo screws to us....

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of this I am convinced, the Cardinals aren't going away quietly this year. And that makes me sick. This team has GOT to keep winning.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals are not going away, period ... quietly or not. Unless those young pitchers all hit the wall at the same time (not likely) and they suddenly stop getting three runners on base every inning (not even as likely) ... we need more than some Dusty magic.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals are not going away, period ... quietly or not. Unless those young pitchers all hit the wall at the same time (not likely) and they suddenly stop getting three runners on base every inning (not even as likely) ... we need more than some Dusty magic.

What might start a snowball effect would be for them to lose Mujica or for him to go Mitchell Boggs on us. :hope:

Latest on Cueto.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's Cingrani ?

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cingrani pitched on sunday. he went 7 innings and threw 101 pitches.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not expect to gamble on the Birds losing Mujica.
Even if they do, Rosenthal is more than adequate even being young. The reason: The Birds score RUNS ... a lot of them, and they give their starters 3 or 4 runs early in the game.

This Cueto thing smells a little like fish to me. I'd guess he found some soreness and is going back to "rehab" to polish up a change from the Tiant Twist. Hell, he gave up 1 hit the last time he pitched, so command is fine. But if he's sore, it's clear he will get worse if he doesn't adjust to something.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
villareal has had outstanding games with louisville. then, he gets shellacked. no middle ground. it's really hard to get a read on him. i have no idea what they have him working on down there. maybe they send him out there and want him to work on a 3rd or 4th pitch. regardless, it's his turn in the rotation. last started on may 31. it was a good one v. toledo.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right john. the only weaknesses i see in the cards is being a little long in the tooth at outfield corners and a slim bullpen with randy choate as the only lefty.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltran and Holliday may be aging but they come up with a fairly decent eye on how to move a runner around.

I think Rcepczinski was supposed to be their lefty guy ... that tanked. Not sure where they are on that. I hate to turn this into a Cardinals thread.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the rotation moved up one day for the Cardinal series. The Cards have struggled against lefties this year hitting .221 as a team. Cingrani on Friday followed by Leaked and Latos would be the route I'd take.

Bronson pitched great last time out but usually struggles against the Birds. Leaked and Bronson versus the Cards didn't sit up well for the home team.

Pitchers love the five day routine and maybe it wouldn't make a difference to alter the rotation. Hate to lose a series to the Cards at home, especially when there are so many St. Louis fans at Gabp for these weekend matchups. Much rather send them back west with a loss.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's the potential injuries that i'm referring to, not their various offensive abilities to move runners around. this isn't wishful thinking. i'd prefer to see the reds beat a cards team that is at full strength. but, it's a long season on 37 year old reconstructed knees.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down 1-0 already in the top of the 1st. We need to win tonight and take 2/3 from the Cardinals just to have hope of having our head above water four days from now. Gutting out 3/4 would be a bare minimum needed!!! :hope: Man, they just feel shaky as hell to me.

I better shut my big mouth before I go and jinx 'em.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you like to lose Cueto for a year, then Latos for good the following year ? Add Votto and Arroyo signing with another team, Cozart being out 2 years, Frazier for most of 2 years., and Choo and Bruce missing 30 games, the bullpen blowing up, and the manager, pitching and hitting coaches bailing too. The equivalent of all that, is what happened to the Cardinals, and not once did they talk about hanging around and waiting for the Reds to stop winning.

Of course, losing LaRussa isn't quite the same as losing Dusty ( might help the Reds)... but the psychology of the 2 teams is quite different. The Cardinals are offensively aggressive, the Reds often offebsively self destructive. Cards fans are overconfident, Reds fans often paranoid. The Cards feature prized farmhands, the Reds find excuses not to play them. The Cardinals make teams beat them, our Reds almost ask them to sometimes. It's not talent that is the difference, it's application of it. It's one thing to lead a horse to water, but if you have to convince him to drink he either isn't thirsty or believes you want to drown him. I think trust and confidence comes from success being the proven product of executing to a sound plan, not from winning easy games and embarrassing yourself against the best.

This team needs a Captain that can navigate to the promised land instead of sailing in circles hoping land finds them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltran could go down on the DL for the rest of the season. The Birds would put somebody in right field who would hit .290, drive in 50 runs and be on base six times in a 3-game series.

We just get Cesar Izturis.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the Cueto thing. He threw a 1 hitter, and says he's not in pain. So why is he on the DL ? I'm unsure if the guy is really hiding something more, or just taking some kind of in season vacation. If he's just sore, maybe it's because he's been mostly lying around on his ass since October. Maybe he's letting the horse vitamins wear off before his testing. There is more to the story, for sure.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "horse vitamins" theory carries a little more than a minor head nod. I'd wonder about that.