• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster, process for same

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd how Brett Marshall got that serious injury on the day before the team broke camp.

The Reds made a series of transactions on Sunday, finalizing their 25-man roster for Monday 4:10 p.m. ET Opening Day matchup against the Cardinals at Great American Ball Park.

Left-handers Aroldis Chapman and Sean Marshall, right-hander Mat Latos and catcher Devin Mesoraco were placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 21, while righty Jonathan Broxton and infielder-outfielder Skip Schumaker were placed on the 15-day DL, retroactive to March 22. Infielder Jack Hannahan and righty Brett Marshall were added to the 60-day DL.

The Reds also cleared roster space by designating righty Pedro Beato for assignment and reassigning outfielder Jason Bourgeois, righty Jumbo Diaz, lefty Jeff Francis, catcher Corky Miller and infielder-outfielder Kristopher Negron to Triple-A Louisville. On Saturday, the club had released infielder Chris Nelson.

Those moves allowed Cincinnati to recall catcher Tucker Barnhart and righty Curtis Partch and select the contracts of righty Trevor Bell, outfielder Roger Bernadina and infielder Ramon Santiago. Bell, Bernadina and Santiago all made the team as non-roster invitees to Spring Training and had to be added to the 40-man roster. With Mesoraco sidelined, Barnhart is expected to be the primary backup catcher behind Brayan Pena.

The Reds will open the season carrying 12 pitchers and 13 position players, with the roster breakdown as follows:

Pitchers: Homer Bailey, Bell, Nick Christiani, Tony Cingrani, Johnny Cueto, J.J. Hoover, Mike Leake, Sam LeCure, Manny Parra, Partch, Alfredo Simon, Logan Ondrusek.

Catchers: Barnhart, Pena.

Infielders: Zack Cozart, Todd Frazier, Brandon Phillips, Neftali Soto, Joey Votto, Ramon Santiago.

Outfielders: Bernadina, Jay Bruce, Billy Hamilton, Chris Heisey, Ryan Ludwick.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, one thing about Walt. He knows how to clear a path to get someone on the 40 man roster.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of 12 pitchers, even if a couple of them aren't the guys we want. It suggests the concept of the situational reliever is not going to be a primary strategy. Honestly, I don't care so long as the Reds win the game, but the situational reliever just isn't practical. It's like sending the enemy your attack map and hope he has it upside down.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope Broxton and Chappy are well soon. Sean Marshall I've given up on. The back end of the bullpen definitely is starting undermanned, and with the Starters being as questionable as they are at the start of the season, I can see Hoover, Parra, LeCure and Ondrusek quickly becoming overworked.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullpens are funny. Give them a 3 run lead, and they look a lot better.

For a few minutes, a few Joe Schmoe Jr.'s can fool hitters that have no scouting report on them. Wait 2 weeks though, and it can look like the HR derby.

Position players, not so much. I would except use caution believing that journeymen that have bounced around hitting .220 suddenly figuring it all out for more than a Gomes or Hairston or Dickerson or Patterson type time frame. But... If a bat less guy like Hannahan can be called a pinch HITTER with a straight face, Bernadina may qualify as one too. Personally, I'd rather have a AA kid fill in for 2 weeks than release him for a guy like that. Jeff Francis- no loss... 40 man rosters don't seem important after the MLB 25 until later, and suddenly all your talent is 4 years away.