• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cuban players

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP has a piece on the future of Cubans in the new era of diplomacy.

STORY HERE

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel for the Cuban people. Everyone loves and wants more for their children.

Their government is another story. I believe in one universal fact- the normal posture of those in control, is to control. Most governments in history are soon seeking to enslave- other countries and or their own. They accommodate only what they deem necessary to keep their power, until they can manipulate for more. Largely, revolt, economic collapse, occasionally aided by forced foreign intervention or natural disaster, are the only paths to freedom, and it's a constant struggle to maintain it once achieved.

Cuba has Cubans where they want them- unarmed and unaided by those who are armed. The Castro regime hasn't grown a social conscience, they are just poorer than they want to be. Poverty aids enslavement because feeding their kids is priority one, and governments promise to do that in return for their freedom. Nothing works until people do. It isn't lack of trade that impoverished Cuba, it was a population without many choices.

What Cuba is "allowing" with MLB, is the same trade they practiced since 1500-human trafficking, except now, the commodities get paid too. Their family is held hostage though, because if they weren't, it would soon be an empty island with no one to serve the Castros or future generations of Despots there. That isn't going to change, until there are people with different motivations in power, that are kept in check by the population, not the other way around. Has that ever been accomplished without bloodshed ? Not that I'm aware of in recorded history of mankind...so whatever "negotiations" are in place, aren't to make Cuba better for Cubans, other than it's escapees, and those that profit directly from them, IMO.

There are no shortage of poor in Puerto Rico, or Mississippi, but it isn't illegal to change jobs or residences without paying an extortion fee there. What does the US or any free country have to gain by subsidizing Cuba with whatever we give them ? They might be selling clearer conscience, world peace and goodwill to gain approval, but the true motivations are well hidden behind the schemes of politicians, who are unwilling or unable to increase the numbers of citizens not urgently dependent on them.

The more competition, the better the product, usually. MLB is better with Cubans than without them. Long term, greasing the ass of a despotic regime with money won't help the average Cuban or North Korean, though. They need better choices, and they unfortunately, are bought with blood, not baseball. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to believe that the motivations for ending the Cuban embargo are more related to politics than cigars and sugar cane. I suppose I will read eventually who did what, to whom, for how much and behind which barn to get this action approved. It's not like last Thursday marked some special date on the calendar. The U.S. has confronted this dilemma since 1961.

I recall the issue of a little kid in 2000 by the name of Elian Gonzalez, who got caught up in a custody fight that the Clinton administration (Janet Reno) blundered ... all of which was considered pivotal in the presidential election eventually that probably cost Al Gore the Cuban vote, or at least enough of it to allow for "hanging chads" to name our next leader.

What this has to do with the Obama decision is pretty murky and I don't posit an opinion on it beyond that. It is just that, I don't think relief pitchers and wide-ranging middle infielders were at the heart of the negotiations. Could be, this is a stab at the Putin administration, though that's a stretch.

Maybe it IS about sugar cane.

I've been told that Cuban women are knockouts. I can still speak a little traditional Spanish and could perhaps use a little sugar. I am also old enough to remember when the Cuban revolution began, so I should be careful what I wish for, I reckon.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuba is a mess, like too much of the world. The USA is flawed, but much of the rest of the world is a brutal place without hope, in comparison. Sometimes it appears our government is trying to quietly push us in that direction. Our collective ignorance aids that effort considerably.

We need to keep in mind Gitmo is still operational there, in the 2nd term of a President that was adamant about closing it for lots of percieved ethical reasons. Ignorance is curable with education.

The Reds would be better adding the best Cuban player, but realistically, can't afford him. There are always limitations. What you want and what is achievable dont always coincide.