• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys FA news/rumors

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that Ware has some leverage in these talks. A bad Ware is probably better than any end we get in this draft. I think back to when we cut Gurode. Its fine to make moves,but make sure you have someone decent to take his place. Costa was a sieve. We may just need to give Ware one more year to see if he still has it

I'm a huge Ware fan but a"Bad Ware" is replaceable with a rookie. Especially this draft. I'm hoping Jerry can talk Ware into some kind of pay cut. Im not saying half of his salary but enough to help the team this year. Jerry is loyal to a fault with his players. I doubt Ware gets released unless it was the only way to get under the cap. Most likely Ware is safe in 14.

Outside of Jerry's loyalty I'm not sure what leverage Ware has.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ware decision coming soon & Cowboys are interested in Broncos LB Woodyard

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ware decision coming soon & Cowboys are interested in Broncos LB Woodyard

The Cowboys have expressed interest in free agent LB Wesley Woodyard.

Woodyard was the Broncos' every-down middle linebacker for much of last season, but got benched in favor of Paris Lenon down the stretch. Therefore, he should come at a bargain basement price for the cap-strapped Cowboys who may release Justin Durant. Woodyard can play at all three linebacker spots and be a special teams asset.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys RG Mackenzy Bernadeau has accepted a $1.15 million pay cut for 2014.

We're not sure why Bernadeau had to take a pay cut after arguably the best season of his underwhelming career, but it helps Dallas' cap situation. He's now owed a $1.1 million guaranteed salary in 2014, plus a $500,000 roster bonus. Bernadeau is expected to open the season as the Cowboys' starting right guard.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys have expressed interest in free agent LB Wesley Woodyard.

Woodyard was the Broncos' every-down middle linebacker for much of last season, but got benched in favor of Paris Lenon down the stretch. Therefore, he should come at a bargain basement price for the cap-strapped Cowboys who may release Justin Durant. Woodyard can play at all three linebacker spots and be a special teams asset.

As a big UK fan, I've followed Woodyard's career since his days at Kentucky. He would be a great fit for our current scheme, and would quickly become a fan favorite here IMO

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta think that it would be in Wares best interest to take a reduced contract that allows him to earn fair money based on incentives. A 3 year deal would be ideal for both the Cowboys and Ware. I would assume it would require a certain amount of guaranteed money,but would need to lessen his cap hit by 7 or 8 million per year. The Cowboys are a better team with Ware IMO.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to pick between Ware and Spencer I have to take Ware. Spencers knee issues could be a major problem going forward

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta think that it would be in Wares best interest to take a reduced contract that allows him to earn fair money based on incentives. A 3 year deal would be ideal for both the Cowboys and Ware. I would assume it would require a certain amount of guaranteed money,but would need to lessen his cap hit by 7 or 8 million per year. The Cowboys are a better team with Ware IMO.

The thing that's difficult in that scenario, is that for Ware to reduce his cap number by 7-8 million AND only have 3 years left on his deal, he'd have to agree to a massive pay cut. That's not likely to happen. To lesson his number by $7 million, the Cowboys will have to either cut him, or redo a deal that either extends his number of years or pushes his remaining years cap numbers even high

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Ed Werder reports DeMarcus Ware has requested the Cowboys to decide his future by Tuesday's 4PM ET start of free agency.
It's a complicated situation, as the Cowboys would create $7.432 million in immediate cap space by cutting Ware now, but also $8.571 million in 2014 dead money. That number would fall to $3.25 million if Ware was designated as a post-June 1 cut, but Ware's full salary would remain on the books until June 1, creating no immediate cap room. The Cowboys need all the immediate room they can get, and seemingly want to take as long as possible to make a decision.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent DE Anthony Spencer (microfracture surgery) is not expected to be healed in time for training camp.
Spencer is likely to be a second- or third-wave free agency signing. If healthy, he'd be in the hunt for big money. Now 30 years old, Spencer missed all but one game last season. He underwent the microfracture operation last September.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that Ware has some leverage in these talks. A bad Ware is probably better than any end we get in this draft. I think back to when we cut Gurode. Its fine to make moves,but make sure you have someone decent to take his place. Costa was a sieve. We may just need to give Ware one more year to see if he still has it

the Cowboys know that they are NOT going to be players for the top FA's so they can afford to wait until the market is depressed for DE/OLB's like Ware before releasing him. i would say that gives them leverage in any dealings with him.

the top teams that are looking for a DE/OLB are not going to sit around waiting for him to be released

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent DE Anthony Spencer (microfracture surgery) is not expected to be healed in time for training camp.
Spencer is likely to be a second- or third-wave free agency signing. If healthy, he'd be in the hunt for big money. Now 30 years old, Spencer missed all but one game last season. He underwent the microfracture operation last September.

gotta say....don't want any part of spencer.
Never been a big fan of a player that will quit on a play and his team..........some seem to only play when it's a contract year

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been a big fan of a player that will quit on a play and his team..........some seem to only play when it's a contract year

I'd say buyer beware on Hatcher if he gets a long term deal as well. I'm not saying he's not a good player, I just don't think he will produce year in year out into his 30's

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Ed Werder reports DeMarcus Ware has requested the Cowboys to decide his future by Tuesday's 4PM ET start of free agency.

Werner got it backwards The Cowboys asked Ware to make a decision by 4 today so they know how much money they will have in free agency.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd take him back

If he would accept a 1 year vet minimum deal. I think once he finds out he isnt getting a big contract he may be willing to take that deal just to bring his value up for next year rather than take a multi year deal worth nothing

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Werner got it backwards The Cowboys asked Ware to make a decision by 4 today so they know how much money they will have in free agency.
Ahh. I see.
Just reporting things I read.

Hope they make a decision soon :thumb:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in no hurry really

we arent going after any top players anyway

So they have a few days

Plus a few guys will be released today to add to the FA pool

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have plenty of time. Let other teams overpay for free agents for once.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any players anyone would hate to see sign with one of our rivals? Byrd is the one player I wouldnt want in the division.....