• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys FA news/rumors

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Dallas reports free agent DT Jason Hatcher has drawn interest from at least seven teams.

Coming off a career year, Hatcher is seeking a long-term deal. The Bucs, Dolphins, and Bears are among the teams that could pursue him.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Dallas reports free agent DT Jason Hatcher has drawn interest from at least seven teams.

Coming off a career year, Hatcher is seeking a long-term deal. The Bucs, Dolphins, and Bears are among the teams that could pursue him.

Let them have him. There's no way I would give Hatcher a long term deal. He might do well for a year or two, but there will be a few years of diminishing returns

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Dallas reports DeMarcus Ware believes he can "get a payday in free agency" if the Cowboys release him.

In other words, he's not feeling pressure to take a pay cut. The Cowboys need Ware to significantly slash his $12.25 million salary if they're to have any breathing room in free agency. It's understandable why Ware would bet on himself — his résumé needs no inflation — but he showed major signs of breaking down in 2013. Teams would have to be in a gambling mood to commit big bucks to a 32-year-old (in July) pass rusher.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Dallas reports DeMarcus Ware believes he can "get a payday in free agency" if the Cowboys release him.

In other words, he's not feeling pressure to take a pay cut. The Cowboys need Ware to significantly slash his $12.25 million salary if they're to have any breathing room in free agency. It's understandable why Ware would bet on himself — his résumé needs no inflation — but he showed major signs of breaking down in 2013. Teams would have to be in a gambling mood to commit big bucks to a 32-year-old (in July) pass rusher.

He's right in that he could get a payday, but we don't need him on the books for $20 million at 33 in 2015 after a restructure. Maybe when he was 27. Let him go to Houston or Green Bay or Pitt and rack up 15 sacks next year. He's been a stand up guy, a great player, and deserves the money he'll make if someone wants to pay him at his age

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right in that he could get a payday, but we don't need him on the books for $20 million at 33 in 2015 after a restructure. Maybe when he was 27. Let him go to Houston or Green Bay or Pitt and rack up 15 sacks next year. He's been a stand up guy, a great player, and deserves the money he'll make if someone wants to pay him at his age

I don't see Ware being here in 15. Not even sure he will be here in 14. but honestly don't see him being here in 15 under any circumstances.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Ware being here in 15. Not even sure he will be here in 14. but honestly don't see him being here in 15 under any circumstances.

The thing on Ware, is I think if he stays healthy, he does have at least one monster season left in him. I could see him getting 15 sacks this season. I think it's smart for him not to take a paycut, because someone will pay him. If you put Ware across from Clay Matthews or behind JJ Watt, 15 might be conservative

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing on Ware, is I think if he stays healthy, he does have at least one monster season left in him. I could see him getting 15 sacks this season. I think it's smart for him not to take a paycut, because someone will pay him. If you put Ware across from Clay Matthews or behind JJ Watt, 15 might be conservative

read another opinion.....as the wind blows

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree about Ware. Even if he doesn't have a 15 sack season. He could still be a monster if he stayed healthy for us, by allowing other DL get theirs. But he said early on he wasn't taking a paycut, & the Cowboys have no leverage to make him. Which is why I don't see him here in 2015. Even if he stays healthy.

On a side note. If all things stayed the same it looks like we would be 5-10 mil under the cap next year if we don't push anymore money down the road. Even with his & Romos contract in 15.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Ware. Even if he doesn't have a 15 sack season. He could still be a monster if he stayed healthy for us, by allowing other DL get theirs. But he said early on he wasn't taking a paycut, & the Cowboys have no leverage to make him. Which is why I don't see him here in 2015. Even if he stays healthy.

On a side note. If all things stayed the same it looks like we would be 5-10 mil under the cap next year if we don't push anymore money down the road. Even with his & Romos contract in 15.

And that's BEFORE the cap goes up another $15 million next season....

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well I am going off the thought it will be at 140 to 144 or so.
Right now our 2015 cap would be 134+

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Hatcher has drawn interest. I hope the Bears will sign him to a huge contract and then bypass donald. Kind of a tough decision on ware. Part of me wants to keep him and part of me does not. Sometimes these older players get in denial regarding their bodies. He looks to be breaking down to me. Pash rushers seem to decline rapidly once they hit 30. I do think other teams will be interested but I would be surprised to see either one of them getting a huge payday. You look at the Wares past two seasons and he looks like a shell of his former self.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Hatcher has drawn interest. I hope the Bears will sign him to a huge contract and then bypass donald. Kind of a tough decision on ware. Part of me wants to keep him and part of me does not. Sometimes these older players get in denial regarding their bodies. He looks to be breaking down to me. Pash rushers seem to decline rapidly once they hit 30. I do think other teams will be interested but I would be surprised to see either one of them getting a huge payday. You look at the Wares past two seasons and he looks like a shell of his former self.

I like when you actually make a decent post .... even if it's not intentional

We dont restructure Ware

Tiny moves for role players and our draft class

See what he is this year .... He is either great or he isn't anymore. Bite the bullet on his contract
Other teams will see what we see..... If he isn't There wont be a what if market out there for him

We gotta eat that money somewhere anyway ..... I say keep him ... and do it this year
He has everything in the world to play for and no excuse not to go 100% ... unless he is no longer 100% and wont ever be again

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys are getting a little carried away with this increasing cap

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Manster already pointed it out

counting eggs before they hatch ..... Hell some are counting eggs before they buy the chickens

Not one suggestion yet .... with bringing anyone in includes the price tag on Dez on Smith on Murray

Not to mention if someone like Carter has a break out year ( always the what ifs)
Replacing Free
Replacing MB

always this year .... blahhhhh ... football is only this year if you are a player away .... if not it's about the future

Last edited by a moderator:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shoulda added this in too

as the cap increases ..... So will contracts

a 2015 contract on a mega deal .... is gonna kill you just as bad if not worse than a mega contract in 2013

Thats when you start seeing Qb contracts at 160 million rather than 120 million

Nothing will really change as far as how the cap works ... more money ... more teams can throw at players upping their value

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shoulda added this in too

as the cap increases ..... So will contracts

a 2015 contract on a mega deal .... is gonna kill you just as bad if not worse than a mega contract in 2013

Thats when you start seeing Qb contracts at 160 million rather than 120 million

Nothing will really change as far as how the cap works ... more money ... more teams can throw at players upping their value

Wait a minute. Are you telling me the increased cap won't let Jerry go back to running the team at it was done in 1992?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute. Are you telling me the increased cap won't let Jerry go back to running the team at it was done in 1992?

1994 the salary cap was 38.6 million
Deon Sanders was signed to a 35 million dollar contract ....

2012 salary cap was 120.6 million
Calvin Johnson was signed to a 132 million dollar contract

Everytime the cap goes up ... so do Salaries .... and mega deals ( highest paid at a position) even worse

NFL Economics 101

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that Ware has some leverage in these talks. A bad Ware is probably better than any end we get in this draft. I think back to when we cut Gurode. Its fine to make moves,but make sure you have someone decent to take his place. Costa was a sieve. We may just need to give Ware one more year to see if he still has it