• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Covid and star players

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... If you're a Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence, are you considering trying to catch covid before the season starts? I think I would. It would suck to get it right before a huge game. In JF's case, it's not like he's rushing his family's health or anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if players behind doors would be trying to do this before the season starts.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pray every player on WVUs team and staff get it now. Everyone survives it and football will be had in the fall.

Reactions: gob

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pray every player on WVUs team and staff get it now. Everyone survives it and football will be had in the fall.
Yeah, if I was one of those players who tested positive, I'd be playing beer pong (the real beer pong) with my teammates now.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if I was one of those players who tested positive, I'd be playing beer pong (the real beer pong) with my teammates now.
you dont know how it will present and just because they are seemingly healthy college aged players doesnt mean they wont have some easy road to recovery.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you dont know how it will present and just because they are seemingly healthy college aged players doesnt mean they wont have some easy road to recovery.
I'm putting myself in their shoes. I'd be feeling fairly invincible, and would bank on having flu like symptoms at worst.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm putting myself in their shoes. I'd be feeling fairly invincible, and would bank on having flu like symptoms at worst.
thats not an at worst case tho

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats not an at worst case tho
Yeah, but what are the odds a college athlete gets incredibly sick? I'd say very, very, very low

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but what are the odds a college athlete gets incredibly sick? I'd say very, very, very low
What are the odds a college athlete dies in conditioning because of an otherwise unknown illness?
what are the odds of college athletes getting rhabdo under supervision of trained porfessionals?
what are the odds of college athletes having some form of cancer?

those arent exactly high but i feel like i see or hear those stories yearly

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the odds a college athlete dies in conditioning because of an otherwise unknown illness?
what are the odds of college athletes getting rhabdo under supervision of trained porfessionals?
what are the odds of college athletes having some form of cancer?

those arent exactly high but i feel like i see or hear those stories yearly
Not sure what exactly your point is.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5ec5543c3f7370543d633e58

this dude a bit older but looked to be in good shape and all

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5ec5543c3f7370543d633e58

this dude a bit older but looked to be in good shape and all
Older. Plus, just because you're in good shape doesn't mean you don't have underlying conditions.

Also, that case is very rare

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what exactly your point is.
point is you are suggesting its a good idea to play russian roulette with covid 19 not knowing how it will effect a person and just hoping for the best.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
point is you are suggesting its a good idea to play russian roulette with covid 19 not knowing how it will effect a person and just hoping for the best.
I'm saying I would, if I was in their shoes.

I'm guessing they are more likely to catch it once school starts than not.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... If you're a Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence, are you considering trying to catch covid before the season starts? I think I would. It would suck to get it right before a huge game. In JF's case, it's not like he's rushing his family's health or anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if players behind doors would be trying to do this before the season starts.

Not a smart move at all, for two reasons. First, there are numerous cases where people have had a second infection. Why? The answer to that question leads to reason #2: the antibodies only last a couple of months. That is why the concept of "herd immunity" is virtually hopeless with this virus. It's pernicious as hell. Better to just try not to get it in the first place even if you think you're bullet proof from getting seriously sick.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a smart move at all, for two reasons. First, there are numerous cases where people have had a second infection. Why? The answer to that question leads to reason #2: the antibodies only last a couple of months. That is why the concept of "herd immunity" is virtually hopeless with this virus. It's pernicious as hell. Better to just try not to get it in the first place even if you think you're bullet proof from getting seriously sick.
I thought the talk about second infections wasn't totally accurate

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the talk about second infections wasn't totally accurate

No, it's a fact. The problem with second infections originally popped up in China then there was a lot of it in South Korea. Turns out the same problem has been found numerous times in Europe and I've seen a few articles about it happening in the New York area. It's really odd because a lot of these people tested negative, negative, negative and then POW! Positive again. There are different medical theories but they all have something in common: there is no long term antibodies created by the virus' presence in a patient. That sucks because it means a vaccine is the only real answer and who can create a vaccine for a coronavirus? It's never been done before and some very intelligent people have been trying to do that for a lot longer than COVID has been around.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus who knows the long term effects.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this is a weird discussion but it is a huge advantage for these teams with 30+ players testing positive because it's likely they won't test positive during or close to the start of the season (if a season happens). That advantage could dramatically change the landscape of the season.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a weird discussion but it is a huge advantage for these teams with 30+ players testing positive because it's likely they won't test positive during or close to the start of the season (if a season happens). That advantage could dramatically change the landscape of the season.
Yep. Just think if Fields tests positive just before the michigan game. Suddenly, what SHOULD be an OSU win gets a lot more interesting.

If there is a season, coaches should be playing second/third string players much more during early games. That depth is going to be key.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Just think if Fields tests positive just before the michigan game. Suddenly, what SHOULD be an OSU win gets a lot more interesting.

If there is a season, coaches should be playing second/third string players much more during early games. That depth is going to be key.
it won't just impact one player though. It's likely that prior to that player testing positive, they're oging to have contact with other players; who will have to go into a 14 day lockdown for being in contact with someone with COVID. So that could take out huge chunks of starting lineups at any point during the season. It could be Fields tests positive before the Michigan game, and OSU's entire starting offense, or backups QB's, all ahve to go into lockdown unless teams plan to separate entirely offense and defensive strings to prevent that kind of contact spread.