• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

COVER YOUR FIVE HOLES!

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From twitter:

tpanotch

CSN's John Boruk/myself did the math: not enough $$ to sign another goalie, re-sign Coburn, add a d-man, UNLESS you lose $5 mill in trade

He's the starter. I don't mind it that much, mostly because I don't care who the goalie is for the next 2 years as long as he is only the starter for 2 more years. After that, we got it covered.

Despite your contempt for the topic -- do you think it's a coincidence that Carter's cap hit is precisely $5.000 million?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who don't yet feel Leighton is legit, I'd like you to please explain the following.

His regular season stats as a Flyer: 16-5-2 2.48 gaa .918 save % 1 SO

His postseason stats as a Flyer: 8-3 2.46 gaa .916 save % 3 SO's

How can you argue with a guy who is winning 70% of his games?

What exactly does the guy have to do to earn your respect?

It sure seems to me like his stats speak for themselves.

I won't deny that Leighton gave up a soft goal here and there in the finals, but our third pairing was dreadful throughout the playoffs and that's not on him. Regardless, if we're keeping Leighton at that cheap of a price and we're able to re-sign Coburn plus sign one of Foster/Michalek/etc. to solidify the third pairing, I like our chances moving forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well leighton did get pulled a lot and boucher got the losses.

however, yes he did have solid stats. i am just worried if he can repeat that or not. however, if they do not go with another goalie then they could go with volchenkov.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well leighton did get pulled a lot and boucher got the losses.

however, yes he did have solid stats. i am just worried if he can repeat that or not. however, if they do not go with another goalie then they could go with volchenkov.

Exactly. You're saving a ton of money in going with Leighton. I saw Ellis and Turco mentioned at $2 million. In my opinion, there's no way on earth that either of them signs that cheap of a contract. That goes for the other UFA goalies as well. We probably save $2-4 million in sticking with Leighton.

Well, there's our money to sign another solid defenseman and have one of the best defenses in the Nhl.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i was thinking though. how many teams are even looking for a starter? i mean, do you think nabokov will get his money? same with ellis, turco, and mason. who is looking for a starter? i think that they might sign cheap.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's see. Atlanta, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Montreal...maybe even Washington. There are several others who may not have their goaltending completely solidified, including us. I just don't expect guys like Turco and Nabokov who were making over $5 million to suddenly except a $2 million offer.

Sure, I'll take a $3.5 million pay cut. :)

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win a Cup. Then we'll talk.

That's an awfully asinine metric. Going by that line of thinking, the only goalie worth anything last year was Niemi...

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Turco would get you more points in the regular season. But, once the playoffs start it would be a crapshoot. Big gamble for probably big dollars.
I think if the Flyers believe they are a lock for the playoffs with what they've got, then Leighton is a good answer. Extra money could then be used to solidify their spot as contenders out of the east. (all season long)

Edit-Feel free to substitute Nabby for Turco in the opening sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leighton for 2 yrs at for basically squat?? I dig it.

Now all Homer has to do is get Powe, Carcillo and Coburn signed up, get Hartnell to waive his NTC for a trip to St. Louis for Mason and Johnson or Perron and we're set.

Simple. :rolleyes::)