• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins Doesn't Deserve A Longterm Contract

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm hell yes. For three reasons.

One I could care less how many Subways Commercials or sports center highlights my Qb gets if its better for the team over all for him to take another three years to become elite.

Two.... massive numbers of high draft picks is no guarantee the team will get better.. Ask the Rams about that.

Three...In two years, what ever we pay Cousins will be considered a bargain. Actually considering Stafford will be up for HIS new contract next year, Cousins deal will be obsolete within a year.

Bottom line is, if this is more about how sexy the face of the franchise is, over the best way to move forward.. we are already fucked. Because thinking like that is what brought us Griffin, McNabb and Schuler. Not to mention ditching Brad Johnson for Jeff George.

This. For all of you worried about the actual dollar amount. IT doesn't make a difference. As Shark has pointed out, KC's contract will be superseded almost immediately. Next year its Stafford. The year after is Ryan. SO for a brief moment in time, KC's contract MIGHT make him the highest paid QB. But only to those that look strictly at the dollar amount. But the real value in these contracts is not the annual dollar amount. Anyone remember Haynesworth? Skins signed him to the first ever $100M contract. He never saw anything close to that (although he was still way over paid).

So for those of you that get all caught up in wether he gets paid a Luck type deal or not (Dean) stop it. In 3 years, half the starting QBs in the league will be paid a Luck type deal. Much like real estate, the prices for QBs continue to rise every year. If you want to buy into a certain neighborhood, you can't expect to pay what your neighbor did who bought 5 years ago, even though your house is smaller. Its the same with QBs. What one team paid their QB 2 years ago is now just a metric, not a hurdle.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If every uber touted draft pick panned out, Jamarcus Russell would still be in Oakland, Johnny Manziel would still be in Cleveland... and we wouldnt be talking about IF Kirk is worth the money because half redskins nation would be selling their houses and moving into homeless camps to give to the go fund me account the team would have needed to setup to pay RG3.

But let me ask you, if RG3 had had even close to the last two seasons Kirk had, would this even be an issue to pay HIM that kind of money? Sexy over substance is never a good tactic when building a team.

If I read this last line right, RG3 would have agreed to become the highest paid QB in the NFL at that time.
They would be nothing more than a wildcard team, winning 10 games a year. The fans would be happy and be convinced we are a year away from winning it all...but internally EVERYONE would hate Synder and Griffin.
This would be despite much less impressive numbers, but because he's flashy and winning.
(granted this would be the Griffin that learned how to go out of bounds and slide, but still staying stupid stuff like
I'm Drew Brees with Michael Vick's mobility.

Ok, so we need to start making a thread about how the F.O. screwed up 2016-17
If they addressed the defense, and had already signed Cousins
1) Barry would have had more competent players to carry out what he needed on defense.
2) Cousins could have played with the confidence and support of knowing everyone wants him there.
3) We really don't know how far this team could have went in the playoffs.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I read this last line right, RG3 would have agreed to become the highest paid QB in the NFL at that time.
They would be nothing more than a wildcard team, winning 10 games a year. The fans would be happy and be convinced we are a year away from winning it all...but internally EVERYONE would hate Synder and Griffin.
This would be despite much less impressive numbers, but because he's flashy and winning.
(granted this would be the Griffin that learned how to go out of bounds and slide, but still staying stupid stuff like
I'm Drew Brees with Michael Vick's mobility.

Ok, so we need to start making a thread about how the F.O. screwed up 2016-17
If they addressed the defense, and had already signed Cousins
1) Barry would have had more competent players to carry out what he needed on defense.
2) Cousins could have played with the confidence and support of knowing everyone wants him there.
3) We really don't know how far this team could have went in the playoffs.

Aside from the everyone internally hating Snyder and Griffin you nailed it. I think people loved Griffin, even to the point where we released him, we still had a large amount of fans convinced we made the wrong move in going with Cousins.

We will always quietly despise Danny until such time as this team becomes a consistent playoffs contender or wins a Lombardi.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably going to catch HEAT for this but looking at our schedule, didn't we finish about right?
The media, I believe had us finishing in last place. In fact, besides what falls in our lap, the NFC EAST keeps getting much better, while we make minor improvements. Really with the weak GM moves, even if bringing back Cousins is the right thing to do...will it make a difference? Is getting Tribusky...who currently is the top rated QB such a bad thing?

Everyone is mad at Kirk and Dan, but when is two shots of Scotch Scott gonna do something that is impressive?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably going to catch HEAT for this but looking at our schedule, didn't we finish about right?
The media, I believe had us finishing in last place. In fact, besides what falls in our lap, the NFC EAST keeps getting much better, while we make minor improvements. Really with the weak GM moves, even if bringing back Cousins is the right thing to do...will it make a difference? Is getting Tribusky...who currently is the top rated QB such a bad thing?

Everyone is mad at Kirk and Dan, but when is two shots of Scotch Scott gonna do something that is impressive?

Define impressive though?? Trubisky has not even an entire season as a starter. This really is a weak class for QBs and making a move on one of these guys would be more for excitement factor than a move to improve the team.

I get it Kirk has not been impressive( Meaning not exciting enough really). But the main reason the Cowboys and Giants HAVE improved is because they have NOT been chasing the elite/exciting QB for the last eight years. Having Romo allowed them to build the line, add some pieces on defense. And fuck surprise, now they drop in a rookie QB and RB and where a stones throw away from the NFC Championship game.

Some times slow and steady is what a team needs, especially when we have spent YEARS trying to make the sexy move and it has failed miserably.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Define impressive??

attempting to start kendall reyes and matt jones. putting ziggy hood at NT.
Drafting and cutting Matt Ioannidis. Replacing Bruton with Whitner.
These are the type of moves that land you a highly respected DC, because they are impressive.

Do you really want to stay here if you're Cousins? Look around man, your coach is soon to be fired, your OC is gone...you may lose both starting WRs. And your favorite target is one concussion away from being forced into early retirement. 20 percent of the fans hate you, the owner will keep you for about 8 million less than what your job description suggest. The defense has 2 above average players, a few overachievers and a bunch of back-ups who start. You have one Elite player on your entire roster, and he misses time due to injury and weed. Also due to legacy, the expectations are already in outer space.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
attempting to start kendall reyes and matt jones. putting ziggy hood at NT.
Drafting and cutting Matt Ioannidis. Replacing Bruton with Whitner.
These are the type of moves that land you a highly respected DC, because they are impressive.

Do you really want to stay here if you're Cousins? Look around man, your coach is soon to be fired, your OC is gone...you may lose both starting WRs. And your favorite target is one concussion away from being forced into early retirement. 20 percent of the fans hate you, the owner will keep you for about 8 million less than what your job description suggest. The defense has 2 above average players, a few overachievers and a bunch of back-ups who start. You have one Elite player on your entire roster, and he misses time due to injury and weed. Also due to legacy, the expectations are already in outer space.

Now see thats the other side of the coin. And I can see as to where Cousins would want to get the hell out of Dodge. And he might actually be smart to do so. But from a team standpoint, logic would say we should do almost everything within the teams power to retain Cousins, because looking back at history, as middle of the pack as we are now. Going back into the hunt for the elite QB mode is likely to make us worse rather than better.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If every uber touted draft pick panned out, Jamarcus Russell would still be in Oakland, Johnny Manziel would still be in Cleveland... and we wouldnt be talking about IF Kirk is worth the money because half redskins nation would be selling their houses and moving into homeless camps to give to the go fund me account the team would have needed to setup to pay RG3.

But let me ask you, if RG3 had had even close to the last two seasons Kirk had, would this even be an issue to pay HIM that kind of money? Sexy over substance is never a good tactic when building a team.

If Rg3 had these last 2 seasons Id be saying the same things. Who gives a crap about sexy. I want good players.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow what a wonderful rebuttal there Shark

NO rebuttal needed. If Griffin had had two seasons in a row with the production Kirk has, I highly doubt you would be saying well maybe we shouldnt resign him for the price we expect it will cost. It would be assumed he is not only a franchise QB, but on the verge of becoming an elite QB. In fact I would have been shocked if calls to sign him long term would not have been all over the place last year.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO rebuttal needed. If Griffin had had two seasons in a row with the production Kirk has, I highly doubt you would be saying well maybe we shouldnt resign him for the price we expect it will cost. It would be assumed he is not only a franchise QB, but on the verge of becoming an elite QB. In fact I would have been shocked if calls to sign him long term would not have been all over the place last year.

Well for one - I want to resign Kirk.

But I mean other than that youre just wrong. But you disagree because you're big on conspiracy theories. Conjecture over facts for you.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for one - I want to resign Kirk.

But I mean other than that youre just wrong. But you disagree because you're big on conspiracy theories. Conjecture over facts for you.

Look I keep seeing you make the statement I want to resign Kirk... but then its always followed by some sort of BUT post. As in I want to resign him.. but if the best we get out of him is a QB capable of consistently getting us to te playoffs... well maybe we should look for that elite guy instead.

I want to resign Kirk because its the best thing for the team moving forward. NO qualifiers, no looking for reasons why we shouldnt do it. No saying he is good but he isnt as good as (Insert QB we have no shot at getting any way).

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look I keep seeing you make the statement I want to resign Kirk... but then its always followed by some sort of BUT post. As in I want to resign him.. but if the best we get out of him is a QB capable of consistently getting us to te playoffs... well maybe we should look for that elite guy instead.

I want to resign Kirk because its the best thing for the team moving forward. NO qualifiers, no looking for reasons why we shouldnt do it. No saying he is good but he isnt as good as (Insert QB we have no shot at getting any way).

My apologies. Didnt realize I had to worship at the shrine of Cousins (well actually Ive known for a long time thats all you'll accept).

When you point out something Ive said as actually wrong Ill stop making "BUT posts"

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies. Didnt realize I had to worship at the shrine of Cousins (well actually Ive known for a long time thats all you'll accept).

When you point out something Ive said as actually wrong Ill stop making "BUT posts"

YA dont have to worship at the alter. But when you roll with, or hint that you agree with the line of thinking... well any one should have been able to do what Cousins did when you consider the weapons he had.... sound alot like yea I want to resign him. But really he is just a guy and we might be better off looking for THE guy.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YA dont have to worship at the alter. But when you roll with, or hint that you agree with the line of thinking... well any one should have been able to do what Cousins did when you consider the weapons he had.... sound alot like yea I want to resign him. But really he is just a guy and we might be better off looking for THE guy.

I think for you I do.

We've been over this already but I think there are bad arguments being made to keep Kirk and theres a lot of overrating Kirk as a player. But theres also some bad reasons being given to get rid of him IMO. If you have a problem with anything I argue for though then call out the actual point (instead of posting conspiracy theories) and Ill be happy to debate it.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for you I do.

We've been over this already but I think there are bad arguments being made to keep Kirk and theres a lot of overrating Kirk as a player. But theres also some bad reasons being given to get rid of him IMO. If you have a problem with anything I argue for though then call out the actual point (instead of posting conspiracy theories) and Ill be happy to debate it.

Look, weather you like Cousins or not for what ever reason.

When it comes down to it.

Good reasons for resigning him are in my opinion.

1. He has been the best QB this team has seen on a consistency basis in 15-25 years depending on if you count Brad Johnson or not.

2. Resigning him takes us out of the lets keep doing stupid shit to try and get the Elite QB market.

Now the main reasons I have heard fro not resigning him are

1. He isnt Elite thus we cant sign him to "Elite" Money.

2. With the Weapons he had, any one should have been able to produce the numbers Cousins did.

3. He hasnt shown to be able to win the game without help from the rest of the team.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the beginning of a season. Whether we post them here or anywhere else or don't post them at all. We all have hopes and/or predictions of how the Skins will end that season. Regardless of any hopes/predictions I had. With the Skins sitting at 6-3-1 and in control of their own possible playoff destiny. To finishing at 8-7-1 or going 2-4 in their last 6 games was very disappointing to me.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. He has been the best QB this team has seen on a consistency basis in 15-25 years depending on if you count Brad Johnson or not.

I don't. Johnson's career kinda mirrors Griffin's to me. One good season (and his arm died at the end of that season) one more season after that where he had more INTs, 15, than TD passes, 11, and was rightfully benched, and he was gone.

That's not consistency.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. Johnson's career kinda mirrors Griffin's to me. One good season (and his arm died at the end of that season) one more season after that where he had more INTs, 15, than TD passes, 11, and was rightfully benched, and he was gone.

That's not consistency.

So you agree, Cousins is basically the most productive and consistent QB we have had here since Ryp?? Because notice I said IF you count Brad, which makes is 17 years..... otherwise Cousins is the best QB we have had since Ryp.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you agree, Cousins is basically the most productive and consistent QB we have had here since Ryp?? Because notice I said IF you count Brad, which makes is 17 years..... otherwise Cousins is the best QB we have had since Ryp.

No, I don't agree. Cousins is the best QB the Redskins have had since Sonny Jurgensen.