• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Title Loss Bring Mariota to Eagles

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article by Phil Sheridan: Could title loss bring Marcus Mariota to Philadelphia Eagles? - ESPN

Decided to start a new thread since we have a fresh article.

I think McShay hits it dead on:

"The more I study Mariota's Oregon tape,” McShay wrote before the Ohio State game, “the harder it is for me to find throws that translate to the NFL game. When I went back and charted his passes from the FSU game, screens, dump-offs and scrambles were more common than the type of downfield throws required by NFL offenses.

“It's not that he never makes those throws … but it's hard to find too many of those on tape, and his success rate isn't great on them.”

McShay concludes: “Ultimately, teams could very well decide that Mariota's on-field issues (he has outstanding intangibles) are a bigger concern. I think he absolutely has the tools and potential to develop into a very good NFL quarterback, but teams are going to have to gamble on him being able to get better in a lot of areas in which he hasn't had much experience or great success to this point.”

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always thought that Mariota's greatest value in the NFL would be to reunite with Kelly. Still not convinced, however, that he falls far enough that Philly doesn't have to trade up to get him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're smart fans, then we shouldn't want him.

This team will never beat Aaron Rodgers or Pete Carroll without building up the defense and Oline.

What is a Mariota lead team going to do against Seattle? They'll blow up every bubble screen and make him nervous in the pocket. And they've got plenty of guys who can run with him.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to get intolerable, this endless speculation about Mariota. It sounds like he may even stay in school now.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're smart fans, then we shouldn't want him.

This team will never beat Aaron Rodgers or Pete Carroll without building up the defense and Oline.

What is a Mariota lead team going to do against Seattle? They'll blow up every bubble screen and make him nervous in the pocket. And they've got plenty of guys who can run with him.

I think the defense that Seattle built is a rare commodity and they got lucky (every team needs that though...a little luck) with some late draft picks becoming studs like Sherman (5th round). With a defense like that it does not matter who is the QB....Brady, Peyton, Rodgers......hell even Young, Montana and Aikman in their primes would have issues.

The Seattle defense reminds me of the Eagles defense that was led by Reggie White, Jerome Brown and company or the Ravens defense that was so dominant when they won their first Superbowl.

The Eagles defense needs some work but keep in mind we played them and while their defense was dominant we had a shot to beat them and that was with Sanchez as the QB. When you have a defense as good as that your offense does not need to score much.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When does common sense come into the Equation? The Eagles were 14-4 under Foles. Mariota did not look good under pressure situations against a good team. Whatever team drafts him will have to develop him gradually and hope that he can adjust to the NFL. The Eagles should not go crazy giving up draft picks to obtain Mariota. The defense should be a priorty. Chips ego must not get in the way of his judgement. His comments about Mariota are based on the fact that he is a Duck. Time to get real and address the main weakness on the Eagles. DEFENSE---Defense---DEFENSE !

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When does common sense come into the Equation? The Eagles were 14-4 under Foles. Mariota did not look good under pressure situations against a good team. Whatever team drafts him will have to develop him gradually and hope that he can adjust to the NFL. The Eagles should not go crazy giving up draft picks to obtain Mariota. The defense should be a priorty. Chips ego must not get in the way of his judgement. His comments about Mariota are based on the fact that he is a Duck. Time to get real and address the main weakness on the Eagles. DEFENSE---Defense---DEFENSE !

I agree - I think this team needs Foles to return to the '13 form more than they need Mariota. Foles in a small window has shown he can win (and was winning this year even though he was not the same player). The defense is starving for impact talent, and they won't win in the post-season unless they fix that.

The only way they should be able to get Mariota is if he falls into their lap, and does a tumble out of the top 10

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I may be in the minority but think Chip's entire focus is going to be improving the defense. If we are going to be honest here based on this past season if we had a good defense the Eagles would have been 13-3 or 14-2. The Redskins, Cowboys and Cardinals games are games we should have won. Think about it.....we win those games (and we should have) we have home field throughout. I am sure CK realizes that too.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article by Phil Sheridan: Could title loss bring Marcus Mariota to Philadelphia Eagles? - ESPN

Decided to start a new thread since we have a fresh article.

I think McShay hits it dead on:

"The more I study Mariota's Oregon tape,” McShay wrote before the Ohio State game, “the harder it is for me to find throws that translate to the NFL game. When I went back and charted his passes from the FSU game, screens, dump-offs and scrambles were more common than the type of downfield throws required by NFL offenses.

“It's not that he never makes those throws … but it's hard to find too many of those on tape, and his success rate isn't great on them.”

McShay concludes: “Ultimately, teams could very well decide that Mariota's on-field issues (he has outstanding intangibles) are a bigger concern. I think he absolutely has the tools and potential to develop into a very good NFL quarterback, but teams are going to have to gamble on him being able to get better in a lot of areas in which he hasn't had much experience or great success to this point.”

I always like Kiper but McShay makes me sick. Wasn't that long ago he was singing Mariota's praises as the next great thing and he had him at a consensus top pick. Now "the more I think about it" starts up? :bullshit: That's the most non-commital answer you could ask from a self-described "expert." Puhlease!

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must have been watching a different game than these draftniks because I thought Mariota played pretty well, other than a few throws. His receivers dropped key balls early and did him no favors.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sick of this. Just stay put and draft a CB. Play Foles, beef up the D and see what happens.

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the comment that he'll stay in school was funny.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many Eagles fans would foolishly mortgage the future for a guy who has done exceptionally well at the college level but is not a lock for the NFL. Philly fans certainly are interesting.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will never make it past #10. Probably not past #2 but definitely not past the Rams at 10.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must have been watching a different game than these draftniks because I thought Mariota played pretty well, other than a few throws. His receivers dropped key balls early and did him no favors.

Agreed. On the college board I've seen posts claiming that the title game is going to significantly move Mariota down the draft board. I think he is still a top of the first round pick if he comes out this year.

Reaper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope not at all buddy!

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many Eagles fans would foolishly mortgage the future for a guy who has done exceptionally well at the college level but is not a lock for the NFL. Philly fans certainly are interesting.

I think it's his history with Kelly, along with the QBs currently on the Eagles roster, that makes Mariota to Philly an intriguing idea. Of course, the expense of moving up to get him has to be carefully considered.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will never make it past #10. Probably not past #2 but definitely not past the Rams at 10.

Stranger things have happened. Aaron Rodgers was slated to go #2 by almost all mock drafts and none had him going lower than #5.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. On the college board I've seen posts claiming that the title game is going to significantly move Mariota down the draft board. I think he is still a top of the first round pick if he comes out this year.

It's not just the title game. That was just the last game to show people that he doesn't execute NFL type throws with any kind of consistency. Most people have been completely ignoring that fact. But now that he's a prospect instead of a college player, you are getting more pro input and therefore you are hearing more negatives about his game.