• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cooley - Colt could have done everything Kirk did in that game

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his film breakdown continues into another segment ....

you can pick it up at the 20 minute mark from this link

ESPN 980 Audio Vault - Play Now

Redskins @ 8! More Cooley Film Breakdown! Cooley & Kevin analyze and grade the performance of Kirk Cousins and the rest of the offensive skill players. Plus, how did the Offensive line do after the injuries? (Date Added: 9/27/16)

Last edited:

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree KC looked bad the first two games but to think CM could do what he did against the NYG is blindingly silly...especially after admitting he made some great throws.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i take what he says but i look for myself and what others say

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree KC looked bad the first two games but to think CM could do what he did against the NYG is blindingly silly...especially after admitting he made some great throws.

you're not a pro quarterback unless you can make the throws tho ... so thats not the question

(tho KC throws has been short & long so maybe it could become one ... but i think he will settle in)

it comes down to the ability to reading the defenses that separates a backup from a franchise QB

Cooly gives cousins props for dinking & dunking & getting the ball out in under 2 seconds

but he also had some missed opportunities

i take what he says but i look for myself and what others say

just hope everyone is doing their due diligence before coming to any conclusions about his analysis

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they continue their conversation into a third segment

ESPN 980 Audio Vault - Play Now

More on the Redskins Offense and Redzone issues. Also, Cooley & Kevin give you their most Questionable Coaching Calls from over the weekend in College Football & the NFL! Plus, Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman joins us with the latest on Wilson Ramos. (Date Added: 9/27/16)

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KC played a good game, a damn good game, against NYG, but what exactly did he do that Colt couldn't?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC played a good game, a damn good game, against NYG, but what exactly did he do that Colt couldn't?
One thing that immediately comes to mind is the TD throw to DJax.

Whats not up for debate is that there have been lots of opportunities to score left on the board in weeks 1-3 to this point. And a lot of that falls on QB play.

Hope Kirk pulls it all together in the RZ this week.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Keim: I wouldn’t say he’s crumbling under the pressure of playing for the next contract. During the offseason he was pretty clear in conversations with teammates that he was OK with the contract situation. He would tell them that he had bet on himself in the past and was comfortable having to do so again. His career was built on this belief, from the time he left high school until now. Each step, Cousins has been rewarded for his confidence.

But any time someone isn't playing well, you wonder why. So I do wonder if he’s pressing, not from the contract but from trying to prove himself again and perhaps from the expectations, knowing what's at stake for the team as much as anything. I don’t know if it makes a difference either way as to why he's struggling, but the point is, I don’t blame the contract -- unless he does feel he has to live up to $20 million. But I still think it would be more about other factors.

It also could be from having more responsibility placed on him. Coaches would disavow this notion, but it’s something one teammate wondered about in August. His fear was that too much information would slow down Cousins’ process a little bit. Sometimes he’s been more indecisive and it’s cost them opportunities, both in the red zone and elsewhere. Other times, he’s just making bad throws and it’s really that simple.

Against the Giants, Cousins skipped a pass to Rashad Ross in the end zone. He was wide open. Now, there was a holding call that would have nullified the play, but from Cousins’ end it was just a bad throw stemming from nothing else.

But there have been times, in the first two games especially, where I wondered why he hesitated on a look -- the missed throw to Jordan Reed in the end zone vs. Pittsburgh, for example. The play was there; he had a linebacker one-on-one with the entire end zone with which to work. But he was late and needed a perfect throw -- which he didn’t make.

But is he close? I saw improvement in the game against the Giants -- he was more decisive on some throws and, perhaps, more relaxed -- but I also saw more missed chances. I do think the offense is close to a 35-point game -- the opportunities have existed for that to happen the last two games. Cousins does not have to be a Pro Bowl talent to make it work, which is why I think there’s hope for him and the offense. I’m not going to debate if he’s worth a big deal or not -- he hasn’t played like it through three games. But I do think he can make better throws to open targets. We saw him do it in the final nine games last year with consistency.

The troubling part has been all the missed chances in the red zone and the inability to find tight end Jordan Reed in this area. Add another missed one to the list: the play right before halftime vs. New York was supposed to go to Reed. But the headset cut off early, as the coaches were telling him to hit Reed, who had one-on-one coverage. Instead, Cousins stuck with the play on the other side and eventually was sacked. Reed was wide open. Those are the types of situations that must be corrected for him to have the sort of season he and the Redskins anticipated.

Again, the key is that the opportunities are there, which means the chance for Cousins to have better success exists.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whats not up for debate is that there have been lots of opportunities to score left on the board in weeks 1-3 to this point. And a lot of that falls on QB play.

Yeah, I think the bomb to Djax is right at or maybe just beyond Colt's arm. Though I do recall him hooking up with Djax on a 49 yarder back in 2014 against the Boys on MNF. Djax had to wait on it though and a slightly better throw and its a 89 or whatever yd TD. IMO everything would've had to be perfect for Colt to make that throw in the NY game. And that's with him still having the same ability as he did in 14 which I have no idea if he does or not.

I'm with you 100% on everything else said.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im curious on why Cooley isn't bashing the coordinators or Gruden. Maybe he is and I missed it.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would also add the TD pass to Crowder in the back of the end zone. That require both zip and touch. It was a perfect pass that I'm not sure Colt has the arm strength to feed in there.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Along with those other things mentioned...win.

Fair enough. I'm not sure the Skins win that game either with Colt at the helm. I think its the Dallas game that Colt/the Skins win. As he hits JC on the Skins first series for a TD and he doesn't throw that horrid end zone INT that KC did. Hence the Skins would still be 1-2 at the very worst and still 1-1 within the division/NFC.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Keim: I wouldn’t say he’s crumbling under the pressure of playing for the next contract. During the offseason he was pretty clear in conversations with teammates that he was OK with the contract situation. He would tell them that he had bet on himself in the past and was comfortable having to do so again. His career was built on this belief, from the time he left high school until now. Each step, Cousins has been rewarded for his confidence.

But any time someone isn't playing well, you wonder why. So I do wonder if he’s pressing, not from the contract but from trying to prove himself again and perhaps from the expectations, knowing what's at stake for the team as much as anything. I don’t know if it makes a difference either way as to why he's struggling, but the point is, I don’t blame the contract -- unless he does feel he has to live up to $20 million. But I still think it would be more about other factors.

It also could be from having more responsibility placed on him. Coaches would disavow this notion, but it’s something one teammate wondered about in August. His fear was that too much information would slow down Cousins’ process a little bit. Sometimes he’s been more indecisive and it’s cost them opportunities, both in the red zone and elsewhere. Other times, he’s just making bad throws and it’s really that simple.

Against the Giants, Cousins skipped a pass to Rashad Ross in the end zone. He was wide open. Now, there was a holding call that would have nullified the play, but from Cousins’ end it was just a bad throw stemming from nothing else.

But there have been times, in the first two games especially, where I wondered why he hesitated on a look -- the missed throw to Jordan Reed in the end zone vs. Pittsburgh, for example. The play was there; he had a linebacker one-on-one with the entire end zone with which to work. But he was late and needed a perfect throw -- which he didn’t make.

But is he close? I saw improvement in the game against the Giants -- he was more decisive on some throws and, perhaps, more relaxed -- but I also saw more missed chances. I do think the offense is close to a 35-point game -- the opportunities have existed for that to happen the last two games. Cousins does not have to be a Pro Bowl talent to make it work, which is why I think there’s hope for him and the offense. I’m not going to debate if he’s worth a big deal or not -- he hasn’t played like it through three games. But I do think he can make better throws to open targets. We saw him do it in the final nine games last year with consistency.

The troubling part has been all the missed chances in the red zone and the inability to find tight end Jordan Reed in this area. Add another missed one to the list: the play right before halftime vs. New York was supposed to go to Reed. But the headset cut off early, as the coaches were telling him to hit Reed, who had one-on-one coverage. Instead, Cousins stuck with the play on the other side and eventually was sacked. Reed was wide open. Those are the types of situations that must be corrected for him to have the sort of season he and the Redskins anticipated.

Again, the key is that the opportunities are there, which means the chance for Cousins to have better success exists.

One more play he missed or maybe decided against it but was rendered moot. On his 31 yard comp to Djax. PG was wide open almost immediately and before he threw to Jackson (Aikman made mention of it in fact after the play) for what would've been a 75 yd TD. On the next play though he hit Djax with the 44 yd TD.

The reason I bring this up is not so much because KC missed it and I'm not even sure that he did. But have any of you heard that PG has issues catching underhanded/palms up like one normally does on a deep pass? We had a poster on KFFL who speculated about it a couple times and I gotta say. I know he's dropped a few deep passes when trying to catch them palms up. I can't recall seeing him catch a deep pass palms up though.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with questioning progressions is Cooley doesn't know what is seen pre-snap. QBs have a progression of the routes to be expected; however, if you see something pre-snap that you like, you skip certain routes to find the pre-snap mismatch.