• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cooley - Colt could have done everything Kirk did in that game

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts?

excerpt...

“He hasn’t played well, and this offense hasn’t scored touchdowns,” Cooley said. “I don’t think he’s played his best football by any means. I don’t think he’s been bad, but I don’t think he’s been anywhere near what he was in the run of the back half of last year. You watch this kid operate for a span of eight games where we’re unstoppable. And you’re watching this offense operate now and go up and down the field and you’re saying why aren’t we scoring 40? …

“Just trust me on this: it’s going to be fine. There’s a lot of available. He’s missing a lot. And he’s also making some plays as well, and he’s not making the bad plays. … He’s not making the really bad plays. He’s had a couple of them; just a couple of them in three games. He’s just got to make the great plays, and he’s got to make the great plays more often.”

Here’s the resulting dialog:

Kevin Sheehan: Your grade indicated that his performance in two of the three weeks is not starting NFL quarterback caliber. I’m just saying that that’s overly harsh.

Cooley: Colt McCoy could have done everything that Kirk did in that game.

Sheehan: [Unhappy grumble.] Wowwww. Wow. Colt McCoy could have done everything. … Would he have done better? Would he have done better?

Cooley: He could have done what was done in that game. The throw to DeSean [Jackson] was a great throw. A throw on third down to get them down there [in the red zone] to Jordan Reed in the seam was a great throw. A throw to [Jamison] Crowder on an out on a third down was a greatthrow. There were some great throws made. There were more mediocre and poor throws made — in this one game, please understand, this one game — than he needed to have. And thus that makes him — in this one game — at a lower level, in whatever grading scale it is. And I’m going to go back to this for the 10th time: I’m not wrong on this one.

Sheehan I didn’t say you were. You’re not wrong about how much he’s missing and how much better he could be, but when you put him at a backup level for three straight games — when quarterbacks throughout the league are paying at a much worse level — then you’re saying that essentially right now the league’s got like 15 starting quarterbacks.

Cooley: Yeah

Sheehan: Well, you’ve got 32 [teams] in need. And you know what I would do: I would shop Colt McCoy right now to 17 teams that need one.

Cooley: And I told you at the beginning of the year that [McCoy] could start for five of them, and you laughed at that, too.

Indeed, Cooley did argue that McCoy could start for six NFL teams at the beginning of this season. Come to think of it, he also argued, repeatedly, that Trent Williams could be a great left guard, and that the Redskins might consider that. Maybe he does have some special insight.

Anyhow, Cooley still thinks Cousins can rediscover his 2015 form.

“He wasn’t there so far in three games,” he said. “I’m not questioning that; I’m sure of that. That’s a fact. He wasn’t there in three games, where he was last year. He knows it, Sean [McVay] knows it, Jay [Gruden] knows it. They all watch the same film that I’m watching. It’s not another game. It doesn’t mean that he can’t be there this week against the Browns, and every week for the rest of the season, because I expect that he will. So if we’re panicking or being over-critical, then we’re being over-critical of what’s happened. It’s a production league, and this is what he’s produced so far.”

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cooley is an idiot. He admits to some great throws, throws that McCoy hasn't made and the reason he is a backup, but he could do everything KC did?

From there CM couldn't because he was on the bench.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people like cooley , i just dont see what he sees but he is an "expert " and a "pundit " and hence he cant be questioned

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that was way too harsh, only guess is he's trying to make a name or whatever.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State QB's are notoriously poor leaders. No surprise to see others not coming to Cousin's defense. He'll probably be a Brown this time next year.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because you played the sport doesn't make you an expert.

he didnt just play the sport ... it was his career.

a person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area.

He is by far the most knowledgeable member of the local media when it comes to breaking down game film ... he could probably do it nationally if he wanted to.

You can question his opinion ... but its preposterous to question his knowledge of the game.

i think you have to listen to the whole breakdown to understand what he is trying to say. If i remember correctly he gave Cousins the bad grade for alot of opportunities he did not recognize. For being stuck on his first option.

ESPN 980 Audio Vault - Play Now
It's another Edition of The Cooley Film Breakdown! Cooley & Kevin breakdown, analyze & grade the performances of the Redskins Offensive Players in their win over the Giants. Plus, in-depth analysis on Kirk's game, the Offensive Line and the skill position players! (Date Added: 9/27/16)

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts?

i believe this is Cooleys way of saying the scheme is responsible for the success Cousins is having ... and that you could substitute someone else and have similar results.

Not that he thinks McCoy is as good as Cousins.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i believe this is Cooleys way of saying the scheme is responsible for the success Cousins is having ... and that you could substitute someone else and have similar results.

If the coaches, and more importantly the GM thought Colt McCoy could do what Cousins does, we would not have franchise tagged Kirk.

Just saying.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the coaches, and more importantly the GM thought Colt McCoy could do what Cousins does, we would not have franchise tagged Kirk.

Just saying.

right ... but Cousins is not playing up to his potential ...

everyone agrees we have left 374 points on the field so far in the first 3 games this season.

once he starts clicking & putting up TD instead of settling for FG this kind of criticism will stop.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right ... but Cousins is not playing up to his potential ...

everyone agrees we have left 374 points on the field so far in the first 3 games this season.

once he starts clicking & putting up TD instead of settling for FG this kind of criticism will stop.

OH I agree Kirk has left some on the field for sure. And I respect Cooleys opinion most of the time. But occasionally he sounds like a bitter ex girlfriend saying, well geez, her ass is just too big... how could you leave me for THAT.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH I agree Kirk has left some on the field for sure. And I respect Cooleys opinion most of the time. But occasionally he sounds like a bitter ex girlfriend saying, well geez, her ass is just too big... how could you leave me for THAT.

nah .... i respect the hell out of his honesty & candidness.

Would you prefer listening to Larry Michaels telling us how great we are all the time ?

screen_shot_2015-12-04_at_8.24.00_pm.png

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah .... i respect the hell out of his honesty & candidness.

Would you prefer listening to Larry Michaels telling us how great we are all the time ?

screen_shot_2015-12-04_at_8.24.00_pm.png

I would prefer some one in the middle, Sonny usually works for me.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did you listen to the audio i linked ?

i do not find him too critical ... i think he grades fairly and usually spends the majority of his time giving props to what people did right.

back to the Cousins audio clip ... around the 15 minute mark is where cooley makes the point about missed opportunities

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but honestly ... if the team is underperforming & has more L then W then its fair to assume we're going to hear more criticism than props.

dont hate the player ... hate the game

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people like cooley , i just dont see what he sees but he is an "expert " and a "pundit " and hence he cant be questioned

i think you should listen around the 38 minute mark about "what he sees"

he sent his film breakdown & grades to Mike so he can judge how good a job he is doing.

i really think we should be thankful & appreciate the time he spending doing this ... its something nobody has ever done before.

Last edited:

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan said:
Thoughts?

Colt could've led the Skins to being 1-2 right now. And with Cuz at QB the Redskins shouldn't be 1-2 at present. That KC showed flashes/signs of being the QB he was last year with those 3 throws specifically touched on. And now its time for KC to pull his head out his ass, and to stop with the occasional sign or flash. It's time to show consistency with the type of play that will warrant and justify the kind of contract KC and his agent will be seeking next year and beyond.

That's what Cooley is sayin.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colt could've led the Skins to being 1-2 right now. And with Cuz at QB the Redskins shouldn't be 1-2 at present. That KC showed flashes/signs of being the QB he was last year with those 3 throws specifically touched on. And now its time for KC to pull his head out his ass, and to stop with the occasional sign or flash. It's time to show consistency with the type of play that will warrant and justify the kind of contract KC and his agent will be seeking next year and beyond.

That's what Cooley is sayin.
I agree. KC deserves the criticism as he hasn't played to the level we all expect. Cooley just says it as he sees it. But he also says he expects KC to improve. Colt probably could have played at a similar level as KC to date, but that doesn't mean he can play to KCs level going forward. Maybe saying he has played at backup level is a bit harsh, but even Cooley needs to be a bit controversial to get the ratings.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe saying he has played at backup level is a bit harsh, but even Cooley needs to be a bit controversial to get the ratings.

i doubt cooley is that calculated thinking harsh criticism might lead to higher ratings.

if anything it could turn people off from listening

i just think he has very high expectations when it comes to his grading scale.

just look at how he graded Reed.