• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Computer Help

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you get windows, invest in an antivirus. You'll need it.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess...but better start saving again for your next one in about 2 months lol

I know. Mine lasted four years, and just barely. That's why I'm looking for some longevity here. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to...basically anything. I can use a computer...I can stumble my way to a solution if necessary. Basically a caveperson here.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
take forty threes advice. Acer is complete garbage. I have had the best experience so far with Dell and HP

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
take forty threes advice. Acer is complete garbage. I have had the best experience so far with Dell and HP

I can't speak for laptops, but I've had a desktop from each of these. They are alright, though if you were to get a new desktop I'd highly reccomend building your own. I plan on doing this myself shortly.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14kguba.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laptops/Notebooks : Laptops, Netbooks : Computers : Micro Center

You can buy an apple if you don't mind paying twice as much for half the horsepower encased in shiny plastic. Although their student discounts are pretty good. Macs have good points, but the cost is... prohibitive. :)

Oh come on, none of us were ragging on PCs, we just like our Apples. ;)

I always note to people that if you want to buy another computer 3 years from now, an Apple is usually still worth roughly half the purchase price, whereas a windows laptop is usually worth almost nothing. When you factor that in, they actually cost about the same. My first Apple laptop I bought for $900 and then sold it on Ebay for $600 almost 3 years later. My PC desktop I had before that I bought for $600 and then enjoyed throwing it off the roof when i bought my Apple. :)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. Mine lasted four years, and just barely. That's why I'm looking for some longevity here. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to...basically anything. I can use a computer...I can stumble my way to a solution if necessary. Basically a caveperson here.

Pssst... somebody get the Jeremiah gif...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(tried to edit above, wouldn't let me)

Btw, not trying to create a flame war, nor am I a PC hater. But it sounds like Pix wants easy, stable, and reliable. Mac does that pretty well and I find more than anything, I have less stress with a Mac than I did when I owned PCs. That's just me. I use a PC at work all the time and it works pretty well, too.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh come on, none of us were ragging on PCs, we just like our Apples. ;)

I always note to people that if you want to buy another computer 3 years from now, an Apple is usually still worth roughly half the purchase price, whereas a windows laptop is usually worth almost nothing. When you factor that in, they actually cost about the same. My first Apple laptop I bought for $900 and then sold it on Ebay for $600 almost 3 years later. My PC desktop I had before that I bought for $600 and then enjoyed throwing it off the roof when i bought my Apple. :)

I have a Mac at work. It's very pretty for watching movies :)

They are good machines, they are just not worth what they charge, piece for piece. The fact that people will pay ridiculous money for used ones makes even less sense to me. And they frustrate me because I don't like interacting with the machine on it's terms. I prefer to do it on mine. For 95% of people they are perfect machines.

And "disposing" of PCs is always fun. We get very creative. Slapshotting laptop hard drives is oddly satisfying.

In fact, I buy the ones people donate to goodwill or sell at yard sales all the time to see what data they left on there. I have seen LOTS of really naughty pictures of people I don't know as well as a whole TON of text files with people's passwords in them.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What restrictions does apple put on their computers really? IOS, absolutely, but the computers are fine.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What restrictions does apple put on their computers really? IOS, absolutely, but the computers are fine.

Why would you buy a Mac without IOS though?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you buy a Mac without IOS though?

Without the OS, it's a three times too expensive PC :yahoo:

Like I said - good machines. Me and the Operating system don't get along.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? iOS is the iPhone/ipad. OSx is the computer. What does OSx restrict?

RangersReds03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laptops/Notebooks : Laptops, Netbooks : Computers : Micro Center

Stay away from Lenovo and Acer.

Toshiba, Asus, HP and Dell are all good. I have a Toshiba and an Asus here in the house. Although the Toshiba did get Windows wiped off it immediately in favor of Linux, so I'd expect it to run smoother. My ASUS is a monster (Gaming laptop) and I love it. And yes, stay away from Windows 8. It can be used, but it wastes so many resources trying to look pretty.

I have no problem buying refurb stuff, but I do have a higher tolerance to computer issues than most.

You can buy an apple if you don't mind paying twice as much for half the horsepower encased in shiny plastic. Although their student discounts are pretty good. Macs have good points, but the cost is... prohibitive. :)

I have an ASUS as well and I also love it.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an ASUS and have had no issues with it.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a couple of HP laptops at home and have been generally happy with both of them. The first one came with Vista on it, but I took care of that pretty quickly.

HP generally doesn't provide great battery life though if that's of major concern.