• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College football talent gap keep increasing, that's a problem

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 loss blue bloods make the playoff FAR more often than they miss it. Actually there have been just as many 1 loss non conference winning blue bloods make the playoff as there has been 1 loss conference winning blue bloods miss it .

So, yes, traditional powers are basically afforded a free loss most years
so your argument rest on 2 teams, Bama and OSU?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so your argument rest on 2 teams, Bama and OSU?
Its not an argument really as i dont think anyone would argue in wrong if theyre being honest.

And im not even saying its bad. I want those teams in the playoff too. But you cant level out recruiting AND keep the playoffs uber exclusive. Its just never going to happen that way.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. But you cant level out recruiting AND keep the playoffs uber exclusive. Its just never going to happen that way.
We’ll have to agree to disagree here. We rose from mediocrity to top shelf over the last 7 or 8 years. It won’t happen over night but it is possible and we are that shining example.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’ll have to agree to disagree here. We rose from mediocrity to top shelf over the last 7 or 8 years. It won’t happen over night but it is possible and we are that shining example.
True and its not impossible. Just really rare and it will get more rare now

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically what I said clear back on the first page. I am sure the 2020's will usher in a couple of new top-tier teams and others will drop off.
I hope like hell it is more than two.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talent gap has always been huge.
It's huge today.
It'll be huge tomorrow.

Hope that helps.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 loss blue bloods make the playoff FAR more often than they miss it. Actually there have been just as many 1 loss non conference winning blue bloods make the playoff as there has been 1 loss conference winning blue bloods miss it .

So, yes, traditional powers are basically afforded a free loss most years

Let's look at the playoffs, year-by-year:

2014: One undefeated team & 3 one-loss conference champs make the playoffs. Big 12 co-champs, TCU & Baylor, both 11-1 teams, miss the playoffs. Neither was a blue blood program.

2015: One undefeated team & 3 one-loss conference champs make the playoffs. No 1-loss champs were left out, but Iowa & Ohio St. both missed the playoffs with 12-1 & 11-1 records, respectively.

2016: One undefeated team & two one-loss conference champs make the playoffs, along with 1-loss non-champ Ohio St. No one-loss teams were left out (Big 10 champ Penn St. had two losses).

2017: Three one-loss conference champs make the playoffs, along with one-loss non-champion Alabama. No one-loss champs were left out, but Big 10 runner-up Wisconsin was 12-1. 12-0 Central Florida was left out.

2018: Three undefeated teams & a one-loss conference champ make the playoffs. Ohio St. becomes the first blue-blood one-loss conference champ to be left out of the playoffs. But they had a bad loss that kept them out. Central Florida finished 12-0 & did not make the playoffs.

2019: Three unbeaten teams, and one-loss conference champion Oklahoma make the playoffs. No one-loss teams from Power-5 conferences were left out.

So, in the history of the playoffs so far, two one-loss Blue Blood non-champions have made the playoffs, with one of them - Alabama - winning the whole thing in 2017; and only one Blue Blood conference champion - Ohio St. in 2018 - has been left out. And no one-loss champions stayed home in the same year a one-loss non-champion made the playoffs.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HAVE and HAVE NOTS in college football keeps increasing. The playoffs in 6 years has featured only 2 PAC teams, 1 Big12 team w/ OU x5 years in a row, 2 B1G teams w/ OSU 3x, 2 ACC teams w/ Clemson 4x, and 3 SEC teams w/ Alabama 5x.

Preseason playoff predictions mostly featured Oklahoma, Ohio State, Clemson, and Alabama. We were 75% right before the season even played out. Last year was 75% as well since Ohio State was the 4th team predicted but didn't make it by a slim margin, just like Alabama this year.

I was listening to how wildly unpredictable the preseason AP Top 5 used to be compared to the final Top 5. It's almost becoming a formality of which teams are going to get into the playoffs now. Recruiting is becoming more and more national for the top tier cherry picking their 4 and 5* across the country. The rest of the talent gets disproportionately spread across the remaining 120+ FBS schools.

We'll just keep seeing more of the same, next year's playoff favorites once again will feature the usual Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma. 3/4 will most likely make it again.

Seems like we need to drop the G5 and realign the ranks again so that more talent will get equally distributed to make things more competitive. But the more money the sport makes the rich keep getting richer at the top and I don't see that changing.

The big change is in recruiting. When I lived up in Ohio, I never saw a list of the top 300 or a list of the best in state. When an athlete chose a school, he never knew how many other players, playing the same position, chose the same school.

We had a great QB at the HS I went to in the 60's with over 100 offers. He picked a big 10 school and then found out when he got there, that they had recruited 3 other QB's and they wanted him to play safety. He never started a game, and of course never threw a pass.

Today, it's all there in black and white. Great players want to play for a winner, and a chance for a natty. So that means you go to Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State, if you want a real chance. Currently, those are the teams with the best guarantees. UAB, South Carolina St, Tulsa and Bowling Green, are not your first choices.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today, it's all there in black and white. Great players want to play for a winner, and a chance for a natty. So that means you go to Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State, if you want a real chance. Currently, those are the teams with the best guarantees. UAB, South Carolina St, Tulsa and Bowling Green, are not your first choices.

I would break it down a little differently, but somewhat similarly: I'd say Alabama, Clemson & Ohio State are your primary choices; Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame & Oregon are your secondary choices; and the longshots with decent prospects would be Auburn, Florida, Wisconsin, Penn St., Southern California, Florida St., Utah & Central Florida.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would break it down a little differently, but somewhat similarly: I'd say Alabama, Clemson & Ohio State are your primary choices; Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame & Oregon are your secondary choices; and the longshots with decent prospects would be Auburn, Florida, Wisconsin, Penn St., Southern California, Florida St., Utah & Central Florida.

Yeah, there is some depth, but not enough to win the natty. A good coaching staff can bring out the best in what they have, and a poor one staff will fail in the long run.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost like people in this forum don't know how real life works.

When you add humans, there will always be bias.

Instead of acting like bitches and crying about Bama/LSU.......

You could have asked for the top 4,6,8,16, BCS teams to go to a playoff.

But you didn't.

You cried and whined and ESPN took advantage of you sorry excuses for cfb fans.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But you didn't.

Wow. When did you marry pathetic?

You take stupid Dr. Pepper commercial to a whole other level of dumbtastic.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. When did you marry pathetic?

You take stupid Dr. Pepper commercial to a whole other level of dumbtastic.
Couldn't debate or present a problem with my OPINION.

Went strait to insults.

Typical.

EachIlliterateGoa-size_restricted.gif

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't debate or present a problem with my OPINION.
Went strait to insults.
Typical.

Right. Cuz this is just begging for solid banter:

But you didn't.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all shocked a Nebraska fan is upset.

Derek Barnett is breaking Reggie Whites sack record and Nebraska is going hurry up...........

The Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers retired the guys number, but I wouldn't expect some cousin fucking, Scott Frost loving folks to understand.