• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Football 2019: Five Dangerous Teams No One Is Talking About

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big Ten: Minnesota Golden Gophers
Nebraska, Nebraska, Nebraska.

The college football world is having a love affair with a team that went 4-8 last season and has massive question marks on defense coming into the season, but the offense is fun, Scott Frost is a proven head coach, and it seems like it's just a question of time before the pivot to greatness is made.

The Huskers went 4-8 last season, but one of those wins was a 53-28 destruction of a Minnesota team that was going absolutely nowhere. It's a new year, and while Nebraska is considered the Big Ten West's hot thing, it might just be the Gophers who steal the show.

It's amazing what three wins can do.

Minnesota was floundering at 4-5 - and was on a 6-12 run following a 3-0 start to the PJ Fleck era - after getting destroyed 55-31 by a miserable Illinois team. And then it all started to work.

The Gophers bounced back from the embarrassment in Champaign to hand Purdue its lunch in a 41-10 blowout. The close loss to Northwestern the following week was at least a fight, and then came the big tree to climb.

Minnesota hadn't beaten Wisconsin since 2003 - and hadn't won in Madison since 1994 - but it needed a victory to become bowl eligible. The team found a whole other gear as it ground out the Badgers in a dominant 37-15 win to finally take back the Paul Bunyan Axe.

It followed that up with a fantastic performance in a Quick Lane Bowl win over a Georgia Tech team trying to send its head coach Paul Johnson out in style, and now there's reason to think Minnesota might be on to something.

This year's team has the running game. The offensive line will be fine, the backfield is crazy-deep with talented backs, and when the passing game is going, Tyler Johnson might just be the Big Ten's top NFL wide receiver prospect.

The defense was the biggest change over the finishing kick, allowing 15 points or fewer in three of the last four games. The 2019 linebacking corps will be a killer, the secondary has all-star talent, and as long as there's more of a pass rush, this will be a D to look out for.

The schedule will be a big help.

The Gophers don't have to play Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State, and they get Nebraska and Wisconsin at home. The toughest non-conference game is at Fresno State, and there aren't any games outside of the Big Ten against Power Five teams.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They must have forgotten last offseason. It was worse than what Nebraska is getting this offseason. Also, didn't Minnesota just lose their QB?

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They must have forgotten last offseason. It was worse than what Nebraska is getting this offseason. Also, didn't Minnesota just lose their QB?

Yes/No. We had 2 QB's competing for the job. Morgan was 4-2 as a starter last year, so it's not like he's in experienced

the guy hurt went 2-4

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more impressed with Minnesota last year than I was Nebraska. I figure there will be five or six teams battling for the B-10 West this year. Illinois is the only team that's a scratch from the get-go, and either Purdue or Northwestern will probably fall by the wayside two-thirds through the season; but the rest of the teams may be in it down to the last week or two of the campaign.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it depends on your definition of dangerous. All five should be pretty good teams, but I don't think anyone doubts that.

Minnesota was really impressive last year (I agree that I was more impressed with them than Nebraska). I could see them winning the BIG west, as I could most of the teams (though I like Iowa right now with that physicality they showed last year). But do I think they're playoff caliber and could compete with Michigan/Ohio State, no. So I wouldn't call them dangerous to the pecking order. The same could be said for Virginia Tech and TCU. I could see either doing very well. Virginia Tech very possibly could win the ACC Coastal. They have the talent for it. I don't see them competing with Clemson though. TCU has a slightly above average (#44 last year) defense, which is far, far better than anything 8 of the Big 12 can field. I'm concerned about the massive amount of injuries they've been struggling with (they had to cancel their Spring game because of 22 missing players). But they could be an interesting team in the Big 12, though I don't think they can win it. So all three of them are good teams that aren't relevant for the playoff picture and probably aren't for the conference picture either.

No idea why Missouri is listed as dangerous. I feel like the only people who think Bryant is a great QB are those who never watched him. He's fast, but that's about it. Meanwhile, Missouri just lost one of the better QBs in the country in Drew Lock. This is a strict downgrade (Bryant's also battling a hamstring injury). They'll probably have like 7 wins and be 3rd or fourth in the East. I don't consider that dangerous at all.

Wazzu is genuinely a scary team. Minshew was a big loss, but Leach always coaches his QBs up. I don't think they'll beat Washington or Oregon (I could see one of them making it to the playoffs this year, though I also think they'd lose badly there), nor do I fully believe in Leach until he puts it together for a whole season, but they're a threat to everyone on their schedule and could beat any of them. That said, people know that about them, and people have talked about them, so they shouldn't be in this list either.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The college football world is having a love affair with a team that went 4-8 last season and has massive question marks on defense coming into the season, but the offense is fun, Scott Frost is a proven head coach, and it seems like it's just a question of time before the pivot to greatness is made.

The Huskers went 4-8 last season, but one of those wins was a 53-28 destruction of a Minnesota team that was going absolutely nowhere. It's a new year, and while Nebraska is considered the Big Ten West's hot thing, it might just be the Gophers who steal the show.

Minnesota was floundering at 4-5 - and was on a 6-12 run following a 3-0 start to the PJ Fleck era - after getting destroyed 55-31 by a miserable Illinois team. And then it all started to work.

The Gophers bounced back from the embarrassment in Champaign to hand Purdue its lunch in a 41-10 blowout. The close loss to Northwestern the following week was at least a fight, and then came the big tree to climb.

Minnesota hadn't beaten Wisconsin since 2003 - and hadn't won in Madison since 1994 - but it needed a victory to become bowl eligible. The team found a whole other gear as it ground out the Badgers in a dominant 37-15 win to finally take back the Paul Bunyan Axe.

It followed that up with a fantastic performance in a Quick Lane Bowl win over a Georgia Tech team trying to send its head coach Paul Johnson out in style, and now there's reason to think Minnesota might be on to something.

This year's team has the running game. The offensive line will be fine, the backfield is crazy-deep with talented backs, and when the passing game is going, Tyler Johnson might just be the Big Ten's top NFL wide receiver prospect.

The defense was the biggest change over the finishing kick, allowing 15 points or fewer in three of the last four games. The 2019 linebacking corps will be a killer, the secondary has all-star talent, and as long as there's more of a pass rush, this will be a D to look out for.

The Gophers don't have to play Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State, and they get Nebraska and Wisconsin at home. The toughest non-conference game is at Fresno State, and there aren't any games outside of the Big Ten against Power Five teams.

Minnie! Minnie! HA! HA! HA! GoooOOO Gophers!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old news,
ol GR has been tellin yall for months, PJ as well as Herm out at ASU comin..

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, can't take anybody seriously who goes "Ski-U-Ma"

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesoada is dangerous because they don't play Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State?

LMAO at Minisota.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it depends on your definition of dangerous. All five should be pretty good teams, but I don't think anyone doubts that.

Minnesota was really impressive last year (I agree that I was more impressed with them than Nebraska). I could see them winning the BIG west, as I could most of the teams (though I like Iowa right now with that physicality they showed last year). But do I think they're playoff caliber and could compete with Michigan/Ohio State, no. So I wouldn't call them dangerous to the pecking order. The same could be said for Virginia Tech and TCU. I could see either doing very well. Virginia Tech very possibly could win the ACC Coastal. They have the talent for it. I don't see them competing with Clemson though. TCU has a slightly above average (#44 last year) defense, which is far, far better than anything 8 of the Big 12 can field. I'm concerned about the massive amount of injuries they've been struggling with (they had to cancel their Spring game because of 22 missing players). But they could be an interesting team in the Big 12, though I don't think they can win it. So all three of them are good teams that aren't relevant for the playoff picture and probably aren't for the conference picture either.

No idea why Missouri is listed as dangerous. I feel like the only people who think Bryant is a great QB are those who never watched him. He's fast, but that's about it. Meanwhile, Missouri just lost one of the better QBs in the country in Drew Lock. This is a strict downgrade (Bryant's also battling a hamstring injury). They'll probably have like 7 wins and be 3rd or fourth in the East. I don't consider that dangerous at all.

Wazzu is genuinely a scary team. Minshew was a big loss, but Leach always coaches his QBs up. I don't think they'll beat Washington or Oregon (I could see one of them making it to the playoffs this year, though I also think they'd lose badly there), nor do I fully believe in Leach until he puts it together for a whole season, but they're a threat to everyone on their schedule and could beat any of them. That said, people know that about them, and people have talked about them, so they shouldn't be in this list either.
Michigan has beaten Iowa once in the last decade plus . For whatever reason we've got their number .

I like Minnesota a lot this year . I've got them 23rd in my preseason poll and have them pegged 2nd in the West . If they can win at Iowa I think they will win the West

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also been a big fan of what Minnesota can do this year, they're definitely the biggest sleeper of the muddled west race

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Leach has absolutely owned Oregon for four years in a row now, all of them blowouts except for one. It will be interesting to see if Oregon can turn the tide or at least be halfway competitive this season.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked at the list of the 5 teams. Minnesota might have a good record because of who they don't play. I still like Nebraska to win the West. Ohio State is their toughest opponent, so they might have to beat Minnesota at Minnesota.

TCU is not that good this year. They will struggle against the good teams. Virginia Tech should do well considering they don't play Clemson or FSU in the regular season.

This is not a good year for Washington St with a lot of their tough games away.

Missouri has an easy schedule until you get to November. Then we have Georgia and Florida. They actually could be undefeated until November with a little luck.