• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee, I wonder why the American peoples approval rating of the Supreme Court has never been lower...

Last edited:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might just mask the sulphur smell of the tap water.
That's just brimstone to remind you of the mercy of Jeebus. And the vengeance. But mostly mercy.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee, I wonder why the American peoples approval rating of the Supreme Court has never been lower...

How script-flippingly wonderful would it be for 3 or 4 of them to need to resign and Biden be the one to replace them with a Senate Majority?

And then go ahead and expand the court anyway?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What precedent is there for a SCOTUS justice, let alone the chief justice, testifying before the Senate at any time other than during confirmation. In his letter declining the invitation Robert’s says it’s incredibly rare.

Beyond that, does he have any reason to sit there and answer for Thomas’ issues? I get he’s chief justice but, honest question, does that mean he kind of represents the rest and acts as a leader of the gang so to speak?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What precedent is there for a SCOTUS justice, let alone the chief justice, testifying before the Senate at any time other than during confirmation. In his letter declining the invitation Robert’s says it’s incredibly rare.

Beyond that, does he have any reason to sit there and answer for Thomas’ issues? I get he’s chief justice but, honest question, does that mean he kind of represents the rest and acts as a leader of the gang so to speak?
Yes and no. As Chief Justice he's automatically the head of the US judicial conference. The way I understand it is that he can't unilaterally create policy for things like recusals, as the head of the conference he could shepherd through a new policy because he would be expected to have some sway.

Within SCOTUS itself, he had the ability to create and enforce certain internal policies, much like how management of a company can create new employment policies that are more strict than required by law, assuming they don't violate any laws of course.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of monkeys flinging shit

Status
Not open for further replies.