• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clowney-PP&J is the Secret and Tajh Boyd is Skeered

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extracted from a piece by Alex Scarborough.

The 2013 season unofficially opened with SEC media days Tuesday, and the sport's most dominant conference did what it does best -- it beat up everybody else, writes Mark Schlabach. Story

"I can tell Tajh Boyd is scared back there," Clowney said. "He ain't no sitting duck, but you can see in his eyes that he's scared of our D-linemen."

Clowney recorded a career-high 4.5 sacks in the regular-season finale against rival Clemson last season as the Gamecocks beat the Tigers 27-17 in Death Valley. Boyd threw two interceptions and was sacked six times in the game.

"We know that coming into the game that we have him shook already," Clowney explained. "We get a couple hits on him and it changes the whole game. He's scared every time we play them. I know he's probably listening to this right now, but I'm just telling the truth, man."

Clowney, who is a member of both the Lombardi and Bronko Nagurski watch lists this season, said he doesn't taunt other players on the field other than to say, "Block me." But the 6-foot-6, 247-pound athlete knows fear when he sees it in an opponent's eyes. He said he saw it in Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray, former Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson and a third SEC quarterback he didn't name.

"You can look at a guy and tell that he's scared," Clowney said. "If he's staring at me before the ball is snapped and he's staring at me every play before the ball is snapped, oh we got him. I tell the players that he's shook."

A likely top pick in the 2014 NFL draft, Clowney finished with 54 tackles in 2012, including a South Carolina record 23.5 for loss. The consensus All-American had 13 sacks on his way to being named the SEC's Defensive Player of the Year.

Clowney also said Tuesday he ran a 4.46 in the 40-yard dash.

Clowney, the SEC defensive player of the year, made one of last season's signature plays. His hit on Michigan's Vincent Smith drew millions of YouTube views after he knocked the runner on his back with a helmet-toppling smack, then reached out with one hand to snare the ball.

SEC quarterbacks took notice. So did much of college football.

"Have I seen it? Wasn't it like the top play [on ESPN] for a couple of weeks?" Missouri quarterback James Franklin said. "Yes, sir. It was crazy just when he hit him and he has really long arms so when he reached out and picked the ball up, I thought he was about to run it back for a touchdown."

Clowney had 1.5 sacks against the Tigers last season.

Clowney said he had a quiet summer of keeping things simple and hanging out with his group of friends from high school.

His recent training table didn't feature steak and potatoes but an old favorite after getting down to about 256 pounds.

"I picked up six pounds in two days the other day, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all day," Clowney said. "It was killing my throat. I had to drink a lot of water, but I ate like six peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and dinner."

Next on the menu, he hopes: Opposing quarterbacks.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could go for a mess of PB& J sandos

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's back down to 247? I hope that's not right. I read in Spring he was at 270, and needs to be around that range to be effective against the run. We've got this skinny backup that's only 225, and cant put on weight - JD is going to log more snaps this year.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PB&J got it goin on.

Man...he just slams my boy Tajh....who I think is a stud. I ain't looked across the line at Boyd. Somehow I don't think I would have the same impact as Clowney.

I didn't see a AJ's name on his scared list though.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's back down to 247? I hope that's not right. I read in Spring he was at 270, and needs to be around that range to be effective against the run. We've got this skinny backup that's only 225, and cant put on weight - JD is going to log more snaps this year.
-
If he is down to sub 250 that changes things. I wonder if he is angling on playing some OLB. Freak either way, but I thought he was quite good at 270. I think it is a mistake. Not sure how good he would be in space at 6'6".

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PB&J got it goin on.

Man...he just slams my boy Tajh....who I think is a stud. I ain't looked across the line at Boyd. Somehow I don't think I would have the same impact as Clowney.

I didn't see a AJ's name on his scared list though.

Haven't played South Carolina since 2010 and neither Clowney nor AJ were playing in that game.