• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Cleaning out the garage"

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I take "cleaning out the garage" as a big overhaul, but just can't see a big change on offense?

a LITTLE (say 10% for the season?) more passing sure, but what we really need is more successful passing. in particular, successful passing in the red zone. lets not get TOO far from what we've been doing.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
They now have 3 years worth of data to work with so it does make sense for them to look back and see what works, what doesn't, and what can be improved.

Just my guess (and hope) is that we'll see a more streamlined offense that doesn't have as many shifts or various personnel groupings. The shifts and various personnel groupings kept defenses off balance in 2011 but last season it just seems like defenses figured out to ignore all that fluff and watch where the lineman were pulling and go that way.

Streamlining the offense will allow us to cut down on Timeouts and Delay of Game penalties and give Kap the time to scan the field, read the defense, and make whatever adjustments need to be made to the play.

Also last year should be evident that we just can't rely on the power running game as much. The power running attack is great to beat up on average to terrible defenses but come playoff time when you start seeing elite defenses the power running attack grinds to a halt. Great defensive lines colliding with great offensive lines usually results in a stalemate up front which is bad for the running game and why it was virtually nonexistent in these past playoffs.

That's not to say we need to abandon it and suddenly spread it out and air it 50 times a game but it's clear we need to pass more and we need to be able to pass the ball as well as we can run it. If defenses are going to play the run we need to be able to make the pay dearly with the passing attack and overall it just felt like we lacked pass plays that really exploited defenses camping in on the run.

Roman's statement gives me hope because it does show the coaching staff is willing to look at itself and it's offense and make changes rather than stick to their guns and say the offense is fine and it just needs to be executed better.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They now have 3 years worth of data to work with so it does make sense for them to look back and see what works, what doesn't, and what can be improved.

Just my guess (and hope) is that we'll see a more streamlined offense that doesn't have as many shifts or various personnel groupings. The shifts and various personnel groupings kept defenses off balance in 2011 but last season it just seems like defenses figured out to ignore all that fluff and watch where the lineman were pulling and go that way.

Streamlining the offense will allow us to cut down on Timeouts and Delay of Game penalties and give Kap the time to scan the field, read the defense, and make whatever adjustments need to be made to the play.

Also last year should be evident that we just can't rely on the power running game as much. The power running attack is great to beat up on average to terrible defenses but come playoff time when you start seeing elite defenses the power running attack grinds to a halt. Great defensive lines colliding with great offensive lines usually results in a stalemate up front which is bad for the running game and why it was virtually nonexistent in these past playoffs.

That's not to say we need to abandon it and suddenly spread it out and air it 50 times a game but it's clear we need to pass more and we need to be able to pass the ball as well as we can run it. If defenses are going to play the run we need to be able to make the pay dearly with the passing attack and overall it just felt like we lacked pass plays that really exploited defenses camping in on the run.

Roman's statement gives me hope because it does show the coaching staff is willing to look at itself and it's offense and make changes rather than stick to their guns and say the offense is fine and it just needs to be executed better.

despite the trend to the pass in football, I'm still for a balanced offense. its the best GOAL and what you seem to be describing above? since we ran more plays than passed, getting balanced is adding a little more passes anyway. so agree balance should make it effective against any opponent, in any weather, and in play-off games.

all teams re-evaluate their scheme year to year, so depends on the amount of change? 'cleaning out the garage' implies a large change IMO, and not for that. "re-arrange the shelves", "paint the garage", or "add standing lockers" is what I prefer.