• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CJ, Ryan and Feliz from Galloway's radio show

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was driving to another town this evening and flipped on the Galloway program fairly late. They were discussing Nolan Ryan's comments at the winter meeting.

According to Galloway, Ryan said that Feliz EARNED a rotation spot last season and will be in the rotation this season. He also said that CJ's agent is asking for a 6 year, 120 million dollar contract. It was also said that Ryan said their only need in free agency would be a closer.

I know I could have placed this in a couple of threads but I think it deserves its own thread. Personally, I would love the Rangers to acquire Madsen. Guy is just a beast and Philly screwed up signing Papelbon instead. My first inclination would be to re-sign CJ; however, if he can get anywhere near 100 million he should go for it and the Rangers should not pay that.

Roto for next season should be very solid.

Lewis
Holland
Ogando
Harrison
Feliz

Now that is some serious God #Amn#d talent! Sign Madsen and this is a 100+ win team if everyone stays healthy. I'd still like to see Fielder sign here but I read somewhere that his agent is Boras and he's asking for 200 mil. OMG, the stones these guys have asking for that kind of cash. Seriously, 120 million for CJ Wilson based on 2 very good years of starting? 200 million for a fat, defensively adequate 1st baseman? You've got to be kidding me.

:sagan:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was driving to another town this evening and flipped on the Galloway program fairly late. They were discussing Nolan Ryan's comments at the winter meeting.

According to Galloway, Ryan said that Feliz EARNED a rotation spot last season and will be in the rotation this season. He also said that CJ's agent is asking for a 6 year, 120 million dollar contract. It was also said that Ryan said their only need in free agency would be a closer.

I know I could have placed this in a couple of threads but I think it deserves its own thread. Personally, I would love the Rangers to acquire Madsen. Guy is just a beast and Philly screwed up signing Papelbon instead. My first inclination would be to re-sign CJ; however, if he can get anywhere near 100 million he should go for it and the Rangers should not pay that.

Lewis
Holland
Ogando
Harrison
Feliz

Now that is some serious God #Amn#d talent! Sign Madsen and this is a 100+ win team if everyone stays healthy. I'd still like to see Fielder sign here but I read somewhere that his agent is Boras and he's asking for 200 mil. OMG, the stones these guys have asking for that kind of cash. Seriously, 120 million for CJ Wilson based on 2 very good years of starting? 200 million for a fat, defensively adequate 1st baseman? You've got to be kidding me.

Been awhile ... but in the back of my brain I remember somewhere reading that teams ... in this case it was TEX that I was reading about ... felt they needed to have 10 SPs getting regular SP work to ensure the 25man roster's SP rotation.

My list of 10 potential TEX SPs for 2012 (barring an aquisition) are in no particular order: Lewis, Holland, Ogando, Harrison, Feldman, Kirkman, Ramirez, Perez, Feliz, and (potentially) Wilson. Ginger ... IMO Feldman is probably a more consistant SP than at lease one of the above guys on your list.

Not sure who Ryan's audience was for his "Feliz earned a rotation spot last season and will be in the rotation next season" comment.

-Doesn't need to tell the fans or media heads ... that doesn't add any value.

-Maybe the message was to CJ and his agent ... letting them know that Nolan is penciling Feliz into the hole that CJ's departure may leave. Sure TEX would like him back ... but is not going to bleed to make it happen.

-Maybe the message was to Feliz ... letting him know what is expected of him coming into camp. But the "earned a rotation spot" comment is bound to burn CJ's butt.

-Ryan then to not leave any nail unpounded says TEX will be looking for a FA closer ... in case either Feliz or Wilson didn't get the first message.

(When clearly with Adams on the roster that TEX really may not need to go get a closer ... but you can't send the message on Feliz moving into the Wilson hole if you don't also make it look like you are going out to get a closer to replace Feliz).

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
CJ wanting that kind of deal is outrageous and it's just further proof that he's really developed into a really wannabe diva twat.

CJ Bragging Montage Part Two

Nolan publicly announces what CJ's agent is asking for ... because Nolan knows that amount is over the top and no other team is going to go there either. TEX has probably not countered what CJ's agent asked for ... and will just stay close in the conversation. Bottom line ... if Nolan mentions what the number is out loud to the press ... no way is he thinking they will pay that.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with 99% of what's been said in this thread thus far

Only thing I don't agree with is Kirkman, its almost time to cut bait with this guy he does not inspire confidence at all, he's a good year bad year player and has never had good control, even when he's good, but thats my spin on it, all the other guys I agree with

Ryan's comments go along with what I've been saying since ST, Feliz earned a rotation spot but only went to closer to solidify the position b/c we had 5 solid options at SP in Wilson, Holland, Harrison, Lewis and Ogando (who also earned a ST SP nod but had never closed before)

I see no problem with bringing in Madsen, Adams or not, I say let them compete for the closer role with the "loser" going into the setup role, ready to close in case the other falters

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on the status of Eric Hurley?

It says on 11/2 he was outrighted to Round Rock, so taken off the 40 man and accepted a minor league deal

I get a little fuzzy on the workings of 40 man and minor league roster rules

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree with 99% of what's been said in this thread thus far

Only thing I don't agree with is Kirkman, its almost time to cut bait with this guy he does not inspire confidence at all, he's a good year bad year player and has never had good control, even when he's good, but thats my spin on it, all the other guys I agree with

Ryan's comments go along with what I've been saying since ST, Feliz earned a rotation spot but only went to closer to solidify the position b/c we had 5 solid options at SP in Wilson, Holland, Harrison, Lewis and Ogando (who also earned a ST SP nod but had never closed before)

I see no problem with bringing in Madsen, Adams or not, I say let them compete for the closer role with the "loser" going into the setup role, ready to close in case the other falters

I think we had this conversation before ... maybe it was fordman though ... but maybe it was you. Feliz didn't end up back at closer "b/c we had 5 solid options at SP".

Feliz was back and forth on getting an SP spot out of camp. First time begging out ... second time having arm soreness ... but he was never committed to being an SP. He ended up back in closer because of "solid options" ... in any case one of those options wasn't really Ogando. Ogando took Tommy Hunter's spot ... not Feliz's.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any word on the status of Eric Hurley?

It says on 11/2 he was outrighted to Round Rock, so taken off the 40 man and accepted a minor league deal

I get a little fuzzy on the workings of 40 man and minor league roster rules

He elected free agency ... rejecting the outright assignment to Round Rock. Might still be signed ... it would be great to see if after all this time and the injuries/bad luck ... that he can pitch.

Hurley was the last of the 2008 Frisco rotation of Luis Mendoza (15-4), Armando Gallaraga (9-6), Doug Mathis (11-7), Edinson Volquez (8-1), and Eric Hurley (7-2). Would like to see Hurley signed and be the story of the year like Ogando was last season.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i stopped listening to Galloway a long time ago. he splices together comments to create controversy

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lewis
Holland
Ogando
Harrison
Feliz

Rangers president Nolan Ryan only had good things to say about Wilson today, but didn't sound overly optimistic about re-signing him, according to Danny Knobler of CBS Sports (Twitter link). Ryan said of the left-hander: "You know, he was a big part of our team. Any ballclub's going to miss that if they lose it" (Twitter link).

Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter) reports that Wilson is setting his sights high for his next contract, seeking a six-year deal worth close to $120MM.

like i said: Galloway says Nolan said it and it was really John Heyman who is one of the great blowhards of sports reporting

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Still early in the Game. The price on CJ could still come down a lot. Don't see him getting that kind of contract from anybody. If not I would also love to have Ryan Madsen. Will need a Closer for sure if Feliz moves to the Rotation but it's still so early in the game that a lot can still change. Fielder is going to be too much money as much as I would like to have him. Agents early on are always going to quote very high for their clients at the beginning. Still don't see CJ getting anything near that 200 Million 6 Year Contract.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 @ $120M? See ya CJ. 4 @ $60, team option for 5th year at $18M with $7M buyout. Take it or leave it, we can find another guy to win us 15 games a year with this defense and offense and maybe that person can handle post season play.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 @ $120M? See ya CJ. 4 @ $60, team option for 5th year at $18M with $7M buyout. Take it or leave it, we can find another guy to win us 15 games a year with this defense and offense and maybe that person can handle post season play.

Buehrle is supposedly wanting a 3 year deal for 13-14 million per......

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers president Nolan Ryan only had good things to say about Wilson today, but didn't sound overly optimistic about re-signing him, according to Danny Knobler of CBS Sports (Twitter link). Ryan said of the left-hander: "You know, he was a big part of our team. Any ballclub's going to miss that if they lose it" (Twitter link).

Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter) reports that Wilson is setting his sights high for his next contract, seeking a six-year deal worth close to $120MM.

like i said: Galloway says Nolan said it and it was really John Heyman who is one of the great blowhards of sports reporting

If Heyman is a bigger blow hard than Randy Galloway he'd be a nice alternative energy source.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Galloway. At least he talks about sports and not cup sizes on some young girl with obvious silicone implants or other such nonsense. He may go over the top with his country bumpkin schtick but I find him entertaining. You guys have to admit that he was 100% right in pushing for Hicks to hire Nolan Ryan in the first place. He has been right about a few other things as well.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Galloway. At least he talks about sports and not cup sizes on some young girl with obvious silicone implants or other such nonsense. He may go over the top with his country bumpkin schtick but I find him entertaining. You guys have to admit that he was 100% right in pushing for Hicks to hire Nolan Ryan in the first place. He has been right about a few other things as well.

1 right, 250 wrong.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Does stick to sports and is entertaining. However I don't always agree with everything He says.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Galloway is entertaining because he's an entertainer. He was dead wrong about Jon Daniels and where the Rangers were headed under him. There isn't a bigger gas bag front runner in the DFW sports scene. I suspect his weak attempt at taking the opposite point of view on matters has to do with his need for attention since leaving the the Dallas MN for the Star Telegram. I used to be a big fan, but the clown act wore thin.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lewis
Holland
Ogando
Harrison
Feliz

We might be able to get Madsen and Yu Darvish for around 120 mil and I'd rather have both of them than CJ!