• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chicago White Sox 2013 Ongoing Thread

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a big happy 34th anniversery today to Disco Demolition night.

KABOOM!!!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a big happy 34th anniversery today to Disco Demolition night.

KABOOM!!!

A quick pic of the events that day.

disco-demolition.jpeg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello.

I'm here cause ESPN sucks now and someone recommended this.

So glad that Thornton was traded!!

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome Hawk ... the more the merrier and I hope more from ESPN migrate over here!

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Birds of prey from South Carolina:

Turkey Vulture
Turkey Vulture: Medium vulture, mostly black with red, featherless head and upper neck. Wings are held in a shallow V in flight. One of the few birds of prey that is able to use its sense of smell to find food. They are attracted to the smell of mercaptan, a gas produced by the beginnings of decay.

Black Vulture
Black Vulture: Large raptor, black overall, short, featherless neck, pale bill, short and squared tail, long, pale gray legs and feet. Gray-black skin on head and neck is wrinkled. White-tipped wings, held horizontal in flight. Soars on thermals, must flap its wings more often than a Turkey Vulture.

Osprey
Osprey: Large raptor, dark brown upperparts contrast with white underparts, faint breast band. Small, white head has dark crown, eyestripe. Dark bill. Wings held at a distinct angle in flight, with underwing showing barred flight feathers and diagnostic dark patches on forewing. Gray legs and feet.

Snail Kite
Snail Kite: A large bird, dark blue black overall with extremely hooked thin black bill with reddish base. In flight shows a white tail with broad dark distal band and narrow gray terminal band. Long legs are bright orange or red. Feeds on snails. Flies on slow shallow wing beats followed by glides.

Mississippi Kite
Mississippi Kite: Small kite, dark gray upperparts, pale gray underparts and head. Eyes are red. Upperwings are dark gray with pale gray patches. Tail is long and black. Feeds on large flying insects. Bouyant flight with steady wing beats, alternates several wing strokes with short to long glides.

Swallow-tailed Kite
Swallow-tailed Kite: The largest of North America kites, has black upperparts which contrast with white head and underparts. In flight it shows long pointed wings with black flight feathers and white wing linings. Has a 15-16 inch-long black tail with deep fork. The neck, breast and belly are white.

Golden Eagle
Golden Eagle: Large raptor with dark brown body and golden-brown feathers on back of head and nape. Eyes and bill are dark. Cere is yellow. Legs are completely feathered. Feet are yellow. Alternates deep slow wing beats with glides, soars on thermals. Has been clocked in a steep glide at 120 mph.

Bald Eagle
Bald Eagle: Large, hawk-like bird, dark brown body and white head, tail. Heavy bill, legs, feet, eyes are yellow. Hunts for fish, which it sometimes steals from ospreys. Eats carrion and crippled or injured squirrels, rabbits, muskrats and waterfowl. Flap-and-glide flight, also soars on thermals.

Northern Harrier
Northern Harrier: Large hawk with gray upperparts, distinct white rump, and white underparts with spotted breast. Hooked bill is dark, yellow at base. Eyes are yellow. Wings are long, gray above, and white below with black tips. Legs, feet are yellow. Alternates several deep wing beats with glides.

Sharp-shinned Hawk
Sharp-shinned Hawk: Small hawk with blue-gray upperparts and rufous bars on white underparts. Eyes are dark red. Wings are short and rounded. Tail is long and squared with heavy bars. Legs and feet are yellow. Flight consists of rapid wing beats followed by a short glide. Often soars on thermals.

Cooper's Hawk
Cooper's Hawk: Medium, agile hawk with dark blue-gray back and white underparts with many fine rufous bars. Cap is darker than upperparts. Eyes are red. The tail is long with thick black-and-white bands. Legs and feet are yellow. Alternates rapid wing beats and short glides, often soars on thermals.

Northern Goshawk
Northern Goshawk: The adults are slate blue-gray to nearly black upperparts with very finely barred and streaked pale gray underparts. Head is dark with thick, white eyebrows and red eyes. Tail is paler gray with three or four dark bands. Sexes are similar, although female is usually larger. The juvenile is browner overall with bright yellow eyes. Alternates rapid wing beats with glides; soars on thermals.

Broad-winged Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk: Medium hawk, dark brown, mottled upperparts and brown-barred, white underparts. Pale underwings with black margins visible in flight. Tail is dark banded. Feeds on amphibians, reptiles, small mammals and birds, large insects. Flap-and-glide flight, soars on thermals and updrafts.

Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk: Large hawk with brown upperparts and head. Underparts are white with rust-red barring. The wings are finely barred above with red-brown shoulders and pale below with red-brown wash and dark tips. Tail is dark with thick white bands.

Swainson's Hawk
Swainson's Hawk: Large hawk, dark brown upperparts, white throat, rufous upper breast, pale buff underparts. Tail is gray with faint bars, dark terminal band, and white trailing edge. Yellow legs, feet. Alternates series of powerful deep wing beats with long glides. Soars on thermals and updrafts.

Rough-legged Hawk
Rough-legged Hawk: Large hawk with brown upperparts, paler, streaked head, brown-spotted white breast, and dark breast band. The legs are fully feathered. Wings are mostly pale below and dark-edged. Upper half of tail is white, lower half is finely banded. Uncommon dark phase is brown-black overall.

Red-tailed Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk: Large, highly variable hawk with brown upperparts, head and throat. The underparts are pale with brown streaks. Wings are pale below with dark bar at leading edge and dark tips. The tail is red-brown with dark terminal band. Legs and feet are yellow. Soars on thermals and updrafts.

American Kestrel
American Kestrel: Smallest North American hawk, has two distinct black facial stripes, rust-brown tail and back, slate-blue wings, black-spotted underparts. Eats bats, rodents, insects, frogs, small reptiles, and birds. Alternates several rapid wing beats with glides, also hovers. Soars on thermals.

Merlin
Merlin: Small falcon with blue-gray upperparts, white to pale brown underparts with dark streaks. Throat, eye-ring, line above eye are white. Dark gray bill, cere is yellow. Tail is brown or black barred with white tips. Pacific race is dark gray. Prairie race is light gray. Taiga race is a mixture.

Peregrine Falcon
Peregrine Falcon: Medium robust falcon with blue-gray upperparts, plain breast, heavily barred sides, belly, and leggings. Head has a black hood and sideburns. Yellow fleshy eye ring. Yellow legs and feet. Feeds primarily on birds which it takes in midair after a steep, swift dive from above them.

Obnoxicus Hawkicus
Ken 'the Hawk' Harrelson: Sometimes called 'Yox' has ghostly grayish parts with highly puffed chestal area. Almost extinct, this hawk exhibits extreme cornyisms and extreme bias. his nasally call is one of the most reviled in the country can be found on his perch high above homeplate at the Chicago White Sox ballpark. The insufferable,cliché-spewing, bird (brain) is the last of its kind and most feel dementia has a strong hold bringing this species to the brink of extinction (hopefully VERY soon)

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the book, Iddy. Would ya mind signing it for me? :laugh3: :boink:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CHICAGO -- There's probably going to be a little party taking place at a home in Granger, Ind., on Thursday night, celebrating the colorful life of a true White Sox icon.
Ken "Hawk" Harrelson and his wife, Aris, will host said party, with his family getting together to watch MLB Network's documentary "Hawk: The Colorful Life of Ken Harrelson," airing at 6 p.m. CT. This hour-long special, narrated by Bob Costas and featuring some of the great stories coming from Harrelson's 50 years in baseball, might be especially entertaining for his grandchildren.
"They're understanding just now that I played, and it means a lot because they love the White Sox. They run around with their White Sox hats on all the time," said Harrelson. "We'll get copies of it, and they'll have it forever."
Harrelson currently is working his 29th season as part of the White Sox broadcast booth. He frequently has talked about working until he literally can't work anymore, meaning Harrelson would like to pass on while calling a game. He made that same comment and ensuing humorous description of the end while flashing a smile during an interview in Philadelphia prior to the All-Star break.
"If I could write my own script, just keel over one day and, 'He gone,'" Harrelson said. "I tell you what, I love it more now than I ever have, and I really would like to die in a booth. I really would."
But the colorful phrases and often polarizing figure that comes from Harrelson's uniquely entertaining broadcast style stand as only part of the material covered in this documentary. According to Harrelson, there were approximately seven hours of interviews by MLB Network, covering topics such as Rocky Marciano offering him a chance to fight former World heavyweight champ Sonny Liston at Fenway Park, and Joe Namath telling him the night before Super Bowl III how the Jets were going to upset the Baltimore Colts.
There also are stories about broadcasting advice he received from Curt Gowdy and Howard Cosell, and turning down a trio of managing jobs.
"I talked about things I hadn't talked about or even thought about in 30 years," Harrelson said. "There was a lot left out and [things I] couldn't talk about."
Maybe those left-out stories will be discussed among Harrelson's family as they watch Thursday's show.
"We'll have a little family get together at the house. We have about 15 or 16 in that area there," said Harrelson. "[The documentary is] flattering. It's something I didn't expect."

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date back in 1985 that, with the score knotted at 3-3 at Yankee Stadium, White Sox backstop Carlton Fisk tags two New York runners out at home plate during the same play. The unusual 8-6-2-2 double play results when the base runners on first and second base attempt to score on Rickey Henderson's 400-foot double in the gap, but when outfielder Luis Salazar's makes a perfect throw to shortstop Ozzie Guillen, who in turn throws a strike to plate, the Chicago catcher tags out Bobby Meacham, and then spins around to tag out a sliding Larry Berra.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I used to watch Blake Tekotte all the time when he was in the Padres system at Lake Elsinore.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put this old Hawk Harrelson picture on the board....................., yuck!

hawkGabePaulBowieKuhn69.jpg

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are John and Jordan Danks brothers?

My local TV station didn't say anything about it that I can remember.