• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chase Utley to the Dodgers

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies have agreed to send Chase Utley to the Dodgers for outfielder Darnell Sweeney and right-hander John Richy + 2 million dollars. Utley is batting .217 this year with 5 homers and 30 RBI. Not exactly sure where he'll be playing after Kendrick gets back, and Kike has been on fire lately. Not sure if the Dodgers absolutely needed to make this deal but they didn't give up very much and he is a pretty good insurance policy for when Kike comes back down to earth or if Kendrick ends up taking longer than expected to come back from injury.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies have agreed to send Chase Utley to the Dodgers for outfielder Darnell Sweeney and right-hander John Richy + 2 million dollars. Utley is batting .217 this year with 5 homers and 30 RBI. Not exactly sure where he'll be playing after Kendrick gets back, and Kike has been on fire lately. Not sure if the Dodgers absolutely needed to make this deal but they didn't give up very much and he is a pretty good insurance policy for when Kike comes back down to earth or if Kendrick ends up taking longer than expected to come back from injury.

I would love to have the Utley of a few years ago, but at this point he has seen his better days. I would rather see either Kiki or Alex G. Get some playing time and experience even if they struggle a little!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley can't hurt a team during a playoff run. You might even get to watch him get hot. The Phillies have been awful and he's been freed to a playoff team.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he can pitch LOL.

In all seriousness, I think you will see in the offseason a middle infield trade for a couple of pitchers.

This is an offseason setup trade IMHO.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he can pitch LOL.

In all seriousness, I think you will see in the offseason a middle infield trade for a couple of pitchers.

This is an offseason setup trade IMHO.

Well Rollins, Kendrick and Utley will all be free agents. I assume Seager will get a chance to make the club next year so Rollins will be gone, we will have our choice of 2b (Kendrick, Utley or Alex G). A trade of Kike or Alex G could be possible but I doubt they resign any of the 3 potential free agents only to trade them.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley can't hurt a team during a playoff run. You might even get to watch him get hot. The Phillies have been awful and he's been freed to a playoff team.

"you might get to watch him get hot", that's the problem I have with this, "he might" , he is 6 years removed from his heyday of being a really good player. The Dodgers don't need someone that "might" come through for them, they need someone that will come through for them!
While I always liked Utley, I don't see the point of this trade! Kendrick should be back, and with Utley you are stunting the growth of Kiki and Alex G.by taking away playing time from them!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"you might get to watch him get hot", that's the problem I have with this, "he might" , he is 6 years removed from his heyday of being a really good player. The Dodgers don't need someone that "might" come through for them, they need someone that will come through for them!
While I always liked Utley, I don't see the point of this trade! Kendrick should be back, and with Utley you are stunting the growth of Kiki and Alex G.by taking away playing time from them!

Don't know what to tell ya. He's Chase Utley, man. If you were getting the real Chase Utley, we would have gotten back some real prospects.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what to tell ya. He's Chase Utley, man. If you were getting the real Chase Utley, we would have gotten back some real prospects.

Not saying he won't help, he "might" but even you are saying it "if you were getting the real Chase ," he is a shell of his really good days! Maybe he has some pop left in him for another month, we will see, I just don't like the chance when we already have guys that are as good as him now!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, Utley has gone 15 for 35 (.428, 5 DB, 1 HR) since coming off a 1.5 month DL stint on August 7th.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, Utley has gone 15 for 35 (.428, 5 DB, 1 HR) since coming off a 1.5 month DL stint on August 7th.

Ya I saw that when the trade went down, sadly that hot streak raised his average to .217, tells Yiu he has pretty much sucked all year. But than again maybe he was playing hurt all year, in any case he is now a Dodger and I hope this "little" hot streak continues, we need it! But I'm not pinning my hopes on him! Now if he could give us a few quality innings out tof the bullpen that would really help!!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley is better than Alberto Callaspo and the prospects were redundant. That's all that matters.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley is better than Alberto Callaspo and the prospects were redundant. That's all that matters.

Well, unfortunately he's not taking away at bats from Callaspo, he's taking playing time away from Kiki!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They keep saying that Utley will probably see time at third base. Is anyone else horrified by this? I am.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They keep saying that Utley will probably see time at third base. Is anyone else horrified by this? I am.

I think the trade for Utley was a mistake and was not necessary. We are becoming the Redskins of MLB. Bloated payroll, trading for over the hill vets and trying to repeat the process over and over again while expecting different results.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Splendid job Dodgers. Ignore the bullpen and pick up a much needed infielder.:doh:

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Utley move made no sense what so ever! Now we have a .222 hitter and a .214 hitter batting 1-2, the odds of getting much offense generated with that at the top of the order is not good! I think Rollins has done a decent job aside from the average, has played solid defense and shown some power, I can live with that, but you can't then add a .214 hitter, a .250 hitter (Puig), and Another .220 hitter in the same lineup. I dont care if Ellis is Kershaws catcher, Grandal has a better chance of doing something. Is Kershaw the manager, or Mattingly? Worse case Kiki should be at 2nd and Grandal should have been catching, or at least DHing!

Fiers threw 134 pitches the other day, back in the day pitchers did it all the time, maybe Donnie needs to rethink his 100 pitch play by the book managing style? Ya Kershaw threw more pitches than normal today, but Donnie has a bad habit of pulling him and Greinke when they give up a couple hits late. Who would you rather have trying to get out of a jam, Kershaw, Greinke, or someone from the bullpen. Go with your best pitcher, play your best players! As they say, it's not rocket science!

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley was a low risk move. Not worth even discussing.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Utley was not at the cost of adding a reliever. Why do people think that? You're allowed to make more than one trade in August. Utley is an upgrade over Callaspo and it didn't cost any young players worth crying over. That's it. That makes it a good move.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Utley was not at the cost of adding a reliever. Why do people think that? You're allowed to make more than one trade in August. Utley is an upgrade over Callaspo and it didn't cost any young players worth crying over. That's it. That makes it a good move.
Exactly.