• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CF - Gold Glove

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm.....

- Andrew McCutchen is NOT one of the 3 finalists for the NL Gold Glove in CF.

- Matt Kemp wins his second Gold Glove in CF.

Do major league managers and coaches (who vote on Gold Gloves) know something we don't know about CF defense? Is there something wrong with our "new age" defensive metrics?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a head scratcher that a -4.6 UZR won the gold glove.

Not that McCutchen's was better than Young's or Victorino's but this is obviously a choice for offense only which seems to occur at least at one position every year.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't think Cutch is quite GG caliber yet, but Kemp isn't, he only won because he can hit.

Major league managers and coaches aren't scouts, they both know the game, but are viewing it through a different prism.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't think Cutch is quite GG caliber yet, but Kemp isn't, he only won because he can hit.

From what I've seen (which isn't as much as most Pirate fans), I agree. McCutchen looked better this season..... I'd rate him as good but not great for his 2011 defense.

Major league managers and coaches aren't scouts, they both know the game, but are viewing it through a different prism.

In my view, that different prism results in managers and coaches using a different set of criteria from those used by most knowledgeable fans:

- Most knowledgeable fans expect Gold Gloves to be awarded to the league regular who is the best fielder at his position, period.

- Managers and coaches vote for players who they believe play decent defense and whom they would most like to see playing that position on their teams..... sort of like an All-Star pick with more emphasis on defense.

Since I believe that offense is more important than defense (even at CF, SS, and C), I can empathize with the managers and coaches. For example, if it were my team, I'd rather have Kemp in CF than anyone else in the league, including McCutchen. Kemp's advantage over the others on offense would far outweigh any disadvantage he has on defense, in terms of contributing toward team performance.

Nevertheless, the entire point of Gold Glove awards seems to be to recognize outstanding performance on defense without regard to offense.

As such, MLB should either get the managers and coaches straightened out in terms of the criteria they use..... or they should put the vote in the hands of those who better understand defensive excellence.

Who might that be? How about major league scouts and/or major league stats gurus?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Most knowledgeable fans expect Gold Gloves to be awarded to the league regular who is the best fielder at his position, period.

Agreed, I would expect a gold glover to be able to play 130 games at least.

- Managers and coaches vote for players who they believe play decent defense and whom they would most like to see playing that position on their teams..... sort of like an All-Star pick with more emphasis on defense.

Agreed, that is how the voting goes now, but that pretty much renders the title of Gold Glover meaningless.

Since I believe that offense is more important than defense (even at CF, SS, and C), I can empathize with the managers and coaches. For example, if it were my team, I'd rather have Kemp in CF than anyone else in the league, including McCutchen. Kemp's advantage over the others on offense would far outweigh any disadvantage he has on defense, in terms of contributing toward team performance.

Nevertheless, the entire point of Gold Glove awards seems to be to recognize outstanding performance on defense without regard to offense.

Agreed, its for defense, if a guy hit played 130 games hit 220 with zero homeruns with unquestioned excellent defense, and a guy played 130 games hit 275 with 30 homeruns with average-ish defense (or worse) well all know who the winner would be.

As such, MLB should either get the managers and coaches straightened out in terms of the criteria they use..... or they should put the vote in the hands of those who better understand defensive excellence.

Take it out of their hands, they know the criteria, but are voting like morons anyway.

Who might that be? How about major league scouts and/or major league stats gurus?

Combo of scouts/stats would be fine with me.