• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

catcher

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

What Huntington does at catcher for 2012 will give us a good indication of where the team will be in 2012. The Pirates cannot afford an overall downgrade at catcher.

Both Snyder and Doumit are significant injury risks, but I see signing a 36-37-year-old free agent as an even bigger risk.

In my view, a tandem of Doumit and McKenry makes the most sense. Doumit has a bat, and this team needs bats. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that Doumit will remain a Pirate, since they have to commit to 2 option years to keep him. I see virtually no chance that they would be able to decline his options and sign him for 2012 for less money.

On the other hand, with his injury history, I'm really wondering how much Doumit will command on the open market. Seems that some AL club with a need for a combination DH + part time catcher might make the most sense.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With how weak the Catcher market is I think they will keep one.

Then with the fact going into the season that one of them will be hurt at some point during the season what option do the Pirates have for a 3rd catcher at AAA ready for a call-up? Not sure who will be the option but I don't think Jaramillo is the answer anymore and hope Dusty Brown is gone. Does that mean Eric Fryer takes that role? Sad to think but that will be an important position on this team with a Doumit or Snyder around. Finally do you think Sanchez will be thrown in the fire if needed?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Snyder and Doumit are significant injury risks, but I see signing a 36-37-year-old free agent as an even bigger risk.

Which is what makes this such a tough decision, with the way the two guys get injured they should have both on the roster.

I like McKenry and all, but I don't like him if I know my starter is going to miss a significant amount of playing time at some point in the season, which seems to be a guarantee no matter whom they decide to keep/sign.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we can upgrade at 1B and 3B then having a catching tandem of McKenry and Jaramillo is good enough to get by. However, I think that by the end of the season Eric Fryer will more than likely have cemented himself into the position for the next few years. In no way do I think we should keep either Snyder or Doumit. Neither one is going to command $5 million dollars on the open market even with a weak class of FA catchers.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
snyder and doumit options refused. Who now? WHO NOW?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a very strange move, in my opinion, unless they think they can bring one back on a free agent contract for less money.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it looks like we have about 20 million to spend in free agency. I hope we get some better decisions this offseason regarding our 1/2 year(s) fa deals.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we will see Doumit back at any rate. I bet an AL team will sign him, Oakland actually comes to mind.

Snyder might come back but if not and McKenry/Fryer are the two on the roster this team is in trouble. McKenry is a useful backup and Fryer is nowhere near ready for a MLB job.

Like the rest of you I don't get this one but lets hope a major league ready catcher is on this roster. If not they will need a major upgrade at 1B, 3B or SS to compensate for that loss.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see them being tired of the constant injuries from the two, especially Doumit's since he was either 2 more years, or nothing. Or maybe they think they can retain Snyder for cheaper since he is coming off surgery, and is an average catcher when healthy.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well I actually LOVE to rub salt in the wound so here's a fun fact:

If DL had been fired one season earlier there's a chance that we'd have a 25 year old catcher coming off a season in which he hit 22 homeruns, OPS of .778, and pretty good defense as well.
I'm talking about Matt Wieters of course.

What else would be different? Well we wouldn't have had to take on Snyder's salary in 2010.
We could've used the Tony Sanchez draft pick on any number of good prospects. How about Mike Leake? Tyler Matzek? Mike Trout? Maybe Grant Green?
There wouldn't have been any sane reason to trade Bautista for Robinzon Diaz.

Salty like your tears. The gift that keeps on giving.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
oops. Gold Glove winner. derrrrrrrrrrrr.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wieters will haunt us Pirate fans for years to come...Just like the '02 Draft...

Then on the other hand the '05 draft what if the Tigers took McCutchen rather than Maybin or the Pirates took Bruce or Crowe....

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wieters will haunt us Pirate fans for years to come...Just like the '02 Draft...

Then on the other hand the '05 draft what if the Tigers took McCutchen rather than Maybin or the Pirates took Bruce or Crowe....

That would suck, but you can live with it, because it wouldn't be a bad choice on the Pirates part, just another team making a good choice.

Weiters is on the Pirates FO 100%, because they chose to pass on him. He isn't a superstar, yet. But he is a helluva of a player.